Current Outstanding canalphones/IEMs from Top End to Bottom End
Oct 6, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #61 of 75

toughnut

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Posts
1,876
Likes
328
why are we discussing PL30 in other threads? dont hide
smily_headphones1.gif
 
Oct 6, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #62 of 75

Stikk

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Posts
215
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why are we discussing PL30 in other threads? dont hide
smily_headphones1.gif



Haha, cuz they are my new toy
tongue_smile.gif


Also, Lewislink, if you're reading this, I think you should correct the glaring spelling error in the title of the thread
atsmile.gif
(Bottum/Bottom)
 
Oct 6, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #64 of 75

lewislink

Banned
Joined
Jul 10, 2008
Posts
1,507
Likes
10
At some point, while spending enough time observing what people find to be useful and likable, you begin to see a pattern develop where the particular canalphnes are shown to be more popular than the others.

The list in the first post reflects that observation and me using them confirms their goodness. This isn't a list based only on what I like but what the majority finds acceptable and likable.

I have taken the initiative to not include canalphones that prevent the use of all other canalphones, like then ETys. They are sooo bright sounding that once you become accustomed to them, all others sound silly and useless. I know firsthand this isn't the case with all other phones so I've deliberately kept such bright sounding phones out of the list.

Nevertheless, this list is based on the popular view and a confirmation by me of each phones goodness. There are some phones in the popular view of goodness that I find not good. The HD RE2 are one example. I can't, in good conscience, recommend a phone I, myself, find offensive. So please, if you find this list to be inadequate, make your own list, if you dare to suffer the wrath of those who flame. lol...
biggrin.gif
 
Oct 6, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #65 of 75

gradesm

Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 30, 2008
Posts
91
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have taken the initiative to not include canalphones that prevent the use of all other canalphones, like then ETys. They are sooo bright sounding that once you become accustomed to them, all others sound silly and useless.


I think I know exactly what you mean, the etys sound so clear and detailed making most other gears sound muddy, but the fact remains that they can never pass the "clap test". Clapping of the audience sound no where near half of what its supposed to be.

I feel that although they are much more accurate and detailed, that just isn't natural which is what I aim for.
 
Oct 6, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #66 of 75

lewislink

Banned
Joined
Jul 10, 2008
Posts
1,507
Likes
10
Not really. I have heard the Etys and I have owned the ER4P and still own the ER6i. They aren't any more detailed than any of the other in the list. What makes them seem detailed is the abnormally high amount of treble they put out. It causes the ears to do what I will analogize to the pupil of the eyes closing off in the presence of a bright light. The hearing has the same ability, to close off in the presence of such high treble.

This "closing" off causes the same effect as the eyes trying to see in normal light while still closed off to bright light, very dark sounding and muddy. That isn't what these canalphones are, they are incredibly detailed and beautiful sounding but the effect of the Etys overshadows them in the way they affect hearing.

That's the purpose in not including the Etys.
 
Oct 7, 2008 at 11:18 AM Post #67 of 75

dwilson9@tiscali

New Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 25, 2007
Posts
31
Likes
0
Lewislink, your argument doesn't convince me. Your list contains a number of IEMs that I own, SE530, V-moda vibes, CX300, Sony mdr-90, none of which I can listen to for any length of time because of their woolly bass performance. They make the music disappear - which the Etys I own bring back to life. I keep thinking that I should like the SE530s the most due to their cost and universally great reviews, but I don't, and it's due to their inability to play bass tunes, plus recessed and imprecise treble. I was so concerned that I got an audiologist to check out my hearing - normal for my age.

Sorry - but it's my point of view and I'm sticking with it.
 
Oct 7, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #68 of 75

lewislink

Banned
Joined
Jul 10, 2008
Posts
1,507
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwilson9@tiscali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lewislink, your argument doesn't convince me. Your list contains a number of IEMs that I own, SE530, V-moda vibes, CX300, Sony mdr-90, none of which I can listen to for any length of time because of their woolly bass performance. They make the music disappear - which the Etys I own bring back to life. I keep thinking that I should like the SE530s the most due to their cost and universally great reviews, but I don't, and it's due to their inability to play bass tunes, plus recessed and imprecise treble. I was so concerned that I got an audiologist to check out my hearing - normal for my age.

Sorry - but it's my point of view and I'm sticking with it.



No need to be sorry, it's a valid point of view. One which a great number of Etymotic users share.
 
Oct 7, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #69 of 75

dookiex

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 5, 2005
Posts
467
Likes
0
I agree with lewislink, the Ety's and those of its ilk basically forces you to retrain your hearing. This is due very much to the fact that the high frequencies are emphasized due to a lack of the lower frequencies. Now, you can argue that the Ety's produces a full spectrum of audible sound but please understand, just because it TECHNICALLY does produce the frequencies it does not do so truthfully as the sound is lacking body. You can't just say "There is a very accurate bass response" just because technically it reproduces those notes, the frequency response is only half of what you hear, the other half is very much a physical effect. For sound to be audible it needs to move through the air. The Etys are so tiny and the way they work differs from dynamics and speakers, they don't reproduce sound the way we are use to hearing.

Now, you may argue that we've been hearing things wrong all this time, but to be honest, the sound engineers that records music also does not hear the finished product the way the Etys reproduces them. In this sense, though the Etys were revolutionary when they first came to market mostly for their isolation and amount of audible details, they are more suitable for monitoring purposes rather than music enjoyment. On that note, I feel that lewislink is correct in saying that and choosing to not include the Etys in his round-up. You can't have music while lacking body (bass impact is there for a reason, if you trim it down dramatically and only leave bass details, that does not work as that is not how it works in real life). Small form factor in-ear phones are a problem as most of the trend have been geared towards armatures, but even with multiple drivers, there still has yet to be a happy union of all the frequencies since so far it's either too detail-centric or too bass heavy. Dynamics do a better job but they are still not at the point of full sized phones (nor do I think that they ever will reach that level any time soon).
 
Oct 7, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #70 of 75

PhoxHound

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Posts
161
Likes
0
guys, let's not turn this into a flame war about Etymotic. if you think etys are the best, you're entitled to that opinion. keep in mind this list isn't meant to be 100% objective.
 
Oct 7, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #72 of 75

heavyharmonies

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 3, 2005
Posts
409
Likes
482
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhoxHound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also, this thread should be stickied.


Disagree.

When I first read the thread, I assumed (incorrectly) that this was in some way an authoritative list, when all it is is one person's opinion list... with several glaring omissions.

While I appreciate the work that has gone into it, it is simply one person's opinion and is no more valid than the myriad of other "I think XXX is the best" threads in this forum.
 
Oct 7, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #73 of 75

lewislink

Banned
Joined
Jul 10, 2008
Posts
1,507
Likes
10
There are no "omissions". The sentence at the bottom of the list explains the list will be updated when possible.

Not anyone on this forum other than the moderators are "Authoritative". I never claimed such authority but I do claim to know what I'm writing about because I have each and every one of those in the list and have been in this forum long enough to see a pattern of likes and dislikes. This list is a culmination of many opinions or a majority view, not just mine.
 
Oct 8, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #74 of 75

TacticalPenguin

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 6, 2008
Posts
474
Likes
10
But it is not a culmination of the equally many differing opinions. No er 6i, but you consider the equally priced vibe an excellent phone? Sure, if you like to roll around in muddy overpowering bass. It is all opinion, a definitive list without a good paragraph or more about each phone is impossible.
 
Oct 8, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #75 of 75

lewislink

Banned
Joined
Jul 10, 2008
Posts
1,507
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But it is not a culmination of the equally many differing opinions. No er 6i, but you consider the equally priced vibe an excellent phone? Sure, if you like to roll around in muddy overpowering bass. It is all opinion, a definitive list without a good paragraph or more about each phone is impossible.


Thanks for reminding about the V-Modas. I forgot to add the Bass Freq. It also is an outstanding sounding canalphone along with the much better sounding, though, Vibe.
smily_headphones1.gif
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top