Current options for a new headset (gaming).
Sep 3, 2011 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

J926

New Head-Fier
As my headphones have recently died, I've been reading up on relevant threads and have put together this list of headphones:

1. Sennheiser HD 598
2. Beyer Dynamic DT 880
3. AD900

I will be using these headphones for FPS games, and I've been reading multiple threads supporting each. My current setup is using an Astro Mixamp utilizing dolby digital surround. My price range is around $300, and I would purchase any additional item necessary if one were needed (amp). I'm curious about the older posts I've found regarding this topic (2008-9). These headphones are listed and suggested then and in some cases 2011, but how are they still relevant? Are these headphones still the best choices when needing positional clarity for gaming? I understand my list may be lacking so please enlighten me. Also, I keep seeing the Zalman clip-on mic, are there better choices for clip-ons? Any and all information will be appreciated.

Some past information: My previous headset was a Steelseries Siberia V2 which I used on the Astro Mixamp for console use, and the accompanying USB soundcard when using it on my laptop.

Sep 3, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 21
Anything over $50 will be good for gaming

I find more soundstage worthless for gaming. When in the zone, you won't even notice where the sound comes from and you only care from left and right.

HD598 (check sig for review)

Good music can, I hate them for gaming because my system is a sleeper until I game. THE HD598 hear more of the PC then the game

DT880

Uhh... I guess are good. But A DT770 would be better as i said above because of the openess of the 880

AD900

Like I said about soundstage. Problem I see, is that they don't produce a good enough bass impact to scare you. I want to feel the game shoot at me through the bass, not hear it.

I would say MDR-V6 because that's what I use. Balanced sound, amazing comfort and good bass impact with some soundstage.

But then get some MDR-7509HD. Same as the V6, but much better overall. You'll also enjoy music through them, any music sounds great through them.

Sep 3, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 21
Thank you for the reply and insight. When I'm playing I'm not just... aiming and moving, I analyze everything going on. I take in everything I can and that includes a great deal about what I hear. For me I can place anyone around me, with my current setup, at any time. Whether that is a grenade, m60 continuously firing, or the grunting of someone falling/climbing. I place them 3-dimensionally and I know that's not all based on sound, but I'm able to do so with what I have been using. For the most part I don't game for the same reasons you do when I play FPS's, but I do when I enjoy any other genre of game. I totally understand what you mean about feeling the game because my Siberia+ DDigital did that for me. I felt the game, felt the movies, and music. That's sort of why this headset will be for FPS's and I plan on purchasing another headset for music/movies (games) that I want to enjoy, not compete in.

Sep 3, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #4 of 21
I seemed to have been blind to your recommendation! I'll look that up right now, thanks.

Edit: Keeping the Sony in mind for good all around headphones, thanks!

Sep 3, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 21
Sorry if this seems rude, but when I see the "Anything over $50 will be good for gaming" am I wrong to get a sense of dismissal? I'm looking to invest around $300 in a  pair of headphones that gives me performance relative to the cost. Are headphones at the $50 range similar to the ones I listed based on these wants?

Sep 3, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #7 of 21

Quote:
Sorry if this seems rude, but when I see the "Anything over $50 will be good for gaming" am I wrong to get a sense of dismissal? I'm looking to invest around $300 in a  pair of headphones that gives me performance relative to the cost. Are headphones at the $50 range similar to the ones I listed based on these wants?

I'm just saying that any $50 will perform games the same as a $300 headphone will. There is no great difference for how muc you put the money into it.

I used a HD800 on Deux Ex HM and then my Koss Portapros. There was no difference in what I heard.

A lot of gamers like the JVC HARX700/900

Simply, buy for the comfort. The HARX900's had more comfort then the 700. I like my V6 because of the comfort and the 7509HD is a big step up in SQ and comfort.

Sep 3, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #8 of 21

Quote:
I'm just saying that any $50 will perform games the same as a $300 headphone will. There is no great difference for how muc you put the money into it.

I used a HD800 on Deux Ex HM and then my Koss Portapros. There was no difference in what I heard.

Simply, buy for the comfort. The HARX900's had more comfort then the 700. I like my V6 because of the comfort and the 7509HD is a big step up in SQ and comfort.

Agreed to an extent, though I haven't heard any flagships in action, just comparing my AD700s and my new-to-me Stax Lambdas. I do notice some improvements with the Lambdas for gaming (particularly frontal imaging with CMSS-3D Headphone, and they're even more comfortable), but not what most would consider a twice-as-expensive improvement for gaming alone. I'm still keeping these just because I like the way they reproduce music, though, not to mention the comfort again, and if one wants to have both gaming and music out of one headphone, that's where paying up can be easily justified. For gaming only, though, the law of diminishing returns has kicked in hard.

That's not to say that there isn't a difference, but is it worth paying up for if all you do is game?

Strangely enough, you didn't mention the Superlux HD668B/Samson SR850 (very similar headphones, since the latter's a Superlux OEM). They're becoming quite popular around here lately, even as gaming cans (some prefer them to the AD700 for that), but I can't vouch for or against anything I haven't used.

Sep 3, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #9 of 21

Quote:

I'm going to disagree with this slightly, because technically speaking a crappy $2 headphone will perform anything the same as a $300 headphone will as it's playing the same material regardless, quality however is a whole other story. 

I've had the PortaPro's I used to game with them, I now have a much more expensive Beyer DT 990 Pro headphone, the biggest difference with gaming for me was the way widened soundstage and treble increase so I could hear everything that was happening floating out into a wide spaceband with room to spare rather than being congested to fit into a claustrophobic space and sounding packed in. In other words gaming on the Portas didn't sound realistic because of the very narrow soundstage and bass bias. The Beyers sound a lot more lifelike as the bass is still there, the highs are more pronounced/realistic - and the wide soundstage makes everything sound believable. 

But it's a bit different for competitive gamers, the FPS freaks, than it is for the immersion gamers like myself. For me it's all about the realism of the scene and the immersion rather than being able to hear which way up and from what distance a pin dropped to the floor despite grenade booms going off left and right....

Sep 3, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #10 of 21

Quote:
I'm going to disagree with this slightly, because technically speaking a crappy $2 headphone will perform anything the same as a $300 headphone will as it's playing the same material regardless, quality however is a whole other story. 

I've had the PortaPro's I used to game with them, I now have a much more expensive Beyer DT 990 Pro headphone, the biggest difference with gaming for me was the way widened soundstage and treble increase so I could hear everything that was happening floating out into a wide spaceband with room to spare rather than being congested to fit into a claustrophobic space and sounding packed in. In other words gaming on the Portas didn't sound realistic because of the very narrow soundstage and bass bias. The Beyers sound a lot more lifelike as the bass is still there, the highs are more pronounced/realistic - and the wide soundstage makes everything sound believable. 

But it's a bit different for competitive gamers, the FPS freaks, than it is for the immersion gamers like myself. For me it's all about the realism of the scene and the immersion rather than being able to hear which way up and from what distance a pin dropped to the floor despite grenade booms going off left and right....

Say it with me:
p
l
a
c
e
b
o

Placebo.

When I was playing, there was no difference. And I just used that as a example.

When you're playing a game, there is no high tech sound coming into your headphones.

Top points you want for gaming:

1. Comfort - long hours, no need to mess with cans while a fire fight is being loss
2. Bass impact - too little and not exciting, too much and scares you
3. Soundstage - not a BIG deal, but a decent soundstage helps. Forward headphones would be the worst, but a good medium soundstage is what you need

Sep 3, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #11 of 21
I game with the HD 598s. They're actually really good. If you don't have much surrounding noise you can pinpoint locations easily in FPS games. Just crank up the volume and you'll be hearing players half way across the map.

EDIT:

Quote:
1. Comfort - long hours, no need to mess with cans while a fire fight is being loss
2. Bass impact - too little and not exciting, too much and scares you
3. Soundstage - not a BIG deal, but a decent soundstage helps. Forward headphones would be the worst, but a good medium soundstage is what you need

598's have all of that. Not too strong bass but enough to hear everything that needs to be heard.

Sep 3, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
Say it with me:
p
l
a
c
e
b
o

Placebo.

When I was playing, there was no difference. And I just used that as a example.

When you're playing a game, there is no high tech sound coming into your headphones.

Be that as it may for you, but for me it is no placebo effect. The difference between the Koss PP and my Beyer DT 990 for gaming is clear as day and instantly recognizable and quantifiable. Just in the soundstage alone there's a big and rather obvious difference, nevermind added the treble detail and general details retrieval. Night & day difference in the real world and so it should be. It's just a much better and much more expensive headphone so naturally it's going to deliver whatever it's asked to deliver better than a £20 headphone will, that's just a fact of life. You do get what you pay for. And I'm just saying from my own experience the gaming difference was clear and effortless. Placebo my ass lol.

Sep 3, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #13 of 21
Thank you for all the insight into these headphones and others I haven't heard of. I'm comparing all of these and learning a ton.

I'm starting to favor the 598's, and I'm not to sure why... The AD900's are standing out as well, and now I've got totally new options that you all have suggested: MDR-7509HD, JVC HARX700/900, Superlux HD668B/Samson SR850.

Sep 3, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
JVC HARX700/900, 

Both models are great for gaming IMO. I liked them more than the AD900's.  A steal for the price. 

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #15 of 21
Just wanted to update: I purchased the 598's and a zalman clip-on mic. I'll be comparing them with the AD900 when I find someone who has a pair in Arizona, and go from there. Thanks all for the input and insight. If anyone knows of some amazing microphone, don't hesitate to inform me on that decision as this was 10$ and I can return immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back