Current options for a new headset (gaming).
Sep 6, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #17 of 21
If you want an amazing microphone that'll last you a long time and if you plan on using it for more than in game chat then the Audio Technica AT2020 USB is great.

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #18 of 21
Say it with me:
p
l
a
c
e
b
o

Placebo.

When I was playing, there was no difference. And I just used that as a example.

When you're playing a game, there is no high tech sound coming into your headphones.

Top points you want for gaming:

1. Comfort - long hours, no need to mess with cans while a fire fight is being loss
2. Bass impact - too little and not exciting, too much and scares you
3. Soundstage - not a BIG deal, but a decent soundstage helps. Forward headphones would be the worst, but a good medium soundstage is what you need

I disagree.

I have many high quality headphones and playing competitively with them, yet they all perform differently. Yea, I have a pair of STAX with better soundstaging, had a pair of A2000X with a large soundstage, had a pair of K701 with overblown soundstage, have a pair of AD1000PRM that makes all sound a point source. Yea, does it all matter, it does.

Gaming sound its not all about positioning, one of the main thing that affects immersion is the sound. The most sucess that I have in game is the STAX and the AD1000PRM. The STAX does general direction sound far better but the AD1000PRM is good at pin pointing the source (useful for shooting through visual only obstacles.) To be honest, I found A2000X is better than K701 too and putting K701 and W5000 at the bottom of my list.

How much is worth its all your decision, but does it makes any differences, I say yes. No 'high-end' gaming headset have come close to the hi-fi phones.

Sep 6, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #20 of 21

Quote:
I disagree.

I have many high quality headphones and playing competitively with them, yet they all perform differently. Yea, I have a pair of STAX with better soundstaging, had a pair of A2000X with a large soundstage, had a pair of K701 with overblown soundstage, have a pair of AD1000PRM that makes all sound a point source. Yea, does it all matter, it does.

Gaming sound its not all about positioning, one of the main thing that affects immersion is the sound. The most sucess that I have in game is the STAX and the AD1000PRM. The STAX does general direction sound far better but the AD1000PRM is good at pin pointing the source (useful for shooting through visual only obstacles.) To be honest, I found A2000X is better than K701 too and putting K701 and W5000 at the bottom of my list.

How much is worth its all your decision, but does it makes any differences, I say yes. No 'high-end' gaming headset have come close to the hi-fi phones.

There's something even more laser-precise than a Stax Lambda-series set out there (well, other than flagship Stax SR-007 or SR-009 with a capable enough amp)?

I'll have to investigate this...the AD1000PRM isn't a can that gets mentioned around here very often. It is a bit confusing that you say that the SR-404 Signature can be better at general direction imaging, yet the AD1000PRM is even more precise, though...you'd think that one would just be simply better than the other at telling you exactly where a sound is coming from.

Do you find that different headphones render different sound locations better? Comparing the AD700 to the SR-Lambda, the latter does frontal imaging a bit better, but side and rear seem about even. I've also heard about things like the DT880 having the sound from 5 o'clock to 7 o'clock (basically behind you) sound rather recessed and close to your head instead of far out like it should be.

Sep 6, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #21 of 21

Quote:
I have many high quality headphones and playing competitively with them, yet they all perform differently.Yea, does it all matter, it does.

Gaming sound its not all about positioning, one of the main thing that affects immersion is the sound. 

Quoted for truth. 

Take the sound away and you have a silent movie (boring), take the picture away and you have your imagination fill in the visuals (possibly more exciting) - and so audio is underrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back