Current headphones just don't sound good enough. I want to get into real high end audio and I have no idea where to start?
Dec 23, 2013 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

willitblend

Aka: Thatonedude2
I've been using the M50's for a while and they just don't sound good enough. I realize I'm not going to get the best sound from my iPod and I'm ready to take the step into something better. I just don't know where to start. I know everything about headphones,I just am unsure about amps,how to set up amps,what I hook them up to,what I use as my audio source...so really everything except the actual headphones. So if someone could please help it would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #2 of 22
The M50 are efficient. If you don't enjoy the sound they produce look to better headphones. I recommend the DT770, they are better than the M50 in all areas. Get a Fiio E6 amp it plugs into your ipod then plug the Phones into the Fiio! easy easy! I own the M50 too, they are good entry level phones but that's it! I don't know why I still have them to be honest they get no head time.

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #3 of 22
"Real High End" is very dangerous term in a forum like Head-Fi.org, I would suggest use of actual numbers instead.

And also examples of your headphone usage are welcome too. (on-the-go? office? home? toilet? etc.)

Dec 23, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 22
  "Real High End" is very dangerous term in a forum like Head-Fi.org, I would suggest use of actual numbers instead.

And also examples of your headphone usage are welcome too. (on-the-go? office? home? toilet? etc.)

this.

"Real High End" here in head fi is most likely something that you wont consider. (stax, hd800 with $1000 amps). 

You should look into midrange headphones, which is the endgame headphones for the majority of people. (hd600/hd650, akg k70x, beyer dt880, hifiman he-400, philips x1. ect ect).

Give us a budget, where you will use it, and what genres of music you listen to. Also what sound qualities are you looking to improve on the m50's? Do you want a bassier headphones? Do you want to hear instruments more clearly? Is it too sibilant?
The more info you provide, the better the suggestions will be.

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 22
Sorry it took so long to reply. It's not the headphones I need help with I just need an understanding on other parts of a setup. Like what would be my source of music? Would I have to use a PC? If I don't have a PC what would I use as a good quality audio source and where do I get the music?

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #6 of 22
Source is usually either a PC, CD/SACD player, or a DAP (digital audio player, like an iPod). Most people here use a minimum of FLAC 16bit/44.1khz files ripped from CD's. You can also get high quality files from HDtracks.com or linnrecords.com.

Then they are usually input into a DAC (digital to analog converter), which is then output into a headphone amplifier, which may or may not change the sonic characteristics of the headphones.

However, the level of importance usually goes: headphones --> source --> amp --> dac (opinions differ here)

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #9 of 22
If you want to extract more from your M50, look into spending $100 on a Colorfly C3 DAP then possibly adding either a JDS C5 or C&C BH portable amp. Many members combine the C3 with BH amp and love it. They will sound just fine though without the amp from the little Colorfly. If you want to spend a little more ($250) you can look at options like iBasso DX50 or FiiO X3. I also highly recommend you start using FLAC or at minimum 320kbps files.

The little Colorfly C3 unit will sound better than any iPod, Cowon, Sansa or mainstream player. You can find these players threads in the portable source gear section.

http://www.head-fi.org/f/15/portable-source-gear

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #10 of 22
From an iPod I'd recommend Denon AH-D7100 if you can get them heavyly discounted. Current UK internet price is £399

I've only had them a day but so far my immpression is they're "tuned" specifically for iDevice (iPhone 4s generation) and sound spot on.  better than Grado RS1 from iPhone.

I've also a Grace M903 Dac/amp but last nights first brief impression was bass might be a bit too heavy from "proper" hifi. Too early to tell though.

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #12 of 22
well, i just went from ipod classic 7th gen+fiio e17 to ibasso dx100 which is a one box solution. i think its nice because its only one thing you have to carry and i know i probably wont need another dap again, that's just me though.

Jan 7, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #14 of 22
So say I would purchase the Colorfly C3 I would put music on this from my computer using which application or applications?
I have a computer,it's just a piece of crap really. It would have to be simple to put music on.

Jan 8, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #15 of 22
So say I would purchase the Colorfly C3 I would put music on this from my computer using which application or applications?
I have a computer,it's just a piece of crap really. It would have to be simple to put music on.

Just drag and drop your folders from your computer onto the player. No programs needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back