Current DT880 600 ohm owners
Sep 4, 2010 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

K-MONEY

Banned for flipping
Is it worth it for a semi-open can for $249 + tax from amazon? I'm thinking about it since you get the best of both worlds with semi-open, but a lot are saying that it's a marketing gambit. Can the DT880 600 ohm really change my mind about music or am I better off with something else for an open can perhaps? I'm afraid that the DT990 600 ohm is better! I've auditioned and liked the DT990 600 ohm, and I believe I remember auditioning the DT880 250 ohm and liking it on portable, but not with an amp...not sure though, need suggestions!

My only open can now is the HD-595, which I like for what it offers.

Please keep suggestions and opinions regarding Beyerdynamic only, thank you!

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 12
Only you can answer that when you hear it, k-money.
However, it will be a much more fruitful purchase if you have a nice amp.

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #3 of 12
I paid roughly ~$400 for mine because i wanted them right then and there when i was in Tokyo instead of waiting to get home to the states and grab them off of amazon.

I'd pay $400 all over again

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 12
Well, I'm thinking about it since it's the only semi-open can out there, or am I wrong? It would be one hell of an experience owning one, wouldn't it? It would also be a treasure in the future! I like the initiative of a semi-open can, even thinking about it gives me chills.

Besides, I like Beyerdynamic.

Quote:
Only you can answer that when you hear it, k-money.
However, it will be a much more fruitful purchase if you have a nice amp.

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 12
There is a lot of info to be found regarding the differences between the dt880 and dt990, k-money. Just do a search.
However, in brief the choice would come down to which part of the frequency spectrum you favor.
Dt990 is a little bassy.
They are both great headphones, and the new price drops are just sick.
I paid $320 plus shipping.

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 12
That is a steal for these phones! Making me think about picking them up again.

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 12
I did the exploration, a great deal of people delighting the sides in which they favor, disagreement on no account that ends, and just so much flavor and beliefs floating around for each model. Therefore, I figured I'd just buy the DT880 600 ohm and give it a try; and, if I like it, I'll keep it. I already like the DT770 600 ohm which is why it's in my anthology, and truly didn't endorse the DT990 600 ohm even though it's very close in comparison to its younger brothers. End of story.

I did try the DT990 600 ohm, however, at high volumes the bass started to get all muddy. After weeks of being bothered by it and wondering why it sounded like that, I noticed that it's ordinary for an open can with a decent amount bass to sound like this at high volume, because even my HD-595 sounds like ass at high volume. However, at low volume, nothing can match the splendor and luxury these headphones grant. I came to conclusion in favor of the HD-595 for an open can, even though the DT990 600 ohm is a drag and can really get one keen; but, I figured the DT770 600 ohm is very similar, but a closed can, and the DT880 600 ohm might be around the corner but semi-open. One does however loom on to a different experience with each model because of their birth natures and that is why I like Beyerdynamic. They give one a run for the flavor and present the opportunity to taste the cake from every side. They make three of the same headphones that sound parallel to each other, but what makes them faintly different in terms of sound approach is the way they are built. Closed, Semi-Opened, Opened; and Beyerdynamic lets one practice how each would sound for what they are.

I'm more of a Sennheiser type of guy for open cans, perhaps. I didn't like the HD650 much, am in suspense to try the HD600 sometime in the future, and hoping to be able to afford the HD800 (and T1 from Beyer because I could see this would be a possible choice of an open can for me) before I'm dead, lol. Nonetheless, I'm eager the DT880 600 ohm would give me one heck of an experience even though it's the closest to the DT990 600 ohm. Thinking about it, I like the actuality that it's a semi-open can, the way it's built, the way it looks, and what it represents.

Quote:
There is a lot of info to be found regarding the differences between the dt880 and dt990, k-money. Just do a search.
However, in brief the choice would come down to which part of the frequency spectrum you favor.
Dt990 is a little bassy.
They are both great headphones, and the new price drops are just sick.
I paid $320 plus shipping.

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #9 of 12
Really don't understand what these companies mean by semi open.
The DT 880 is a open headphone period.

DT 880 is considered a balanced/fairly neutral.

DT 990 is considered more treble and more bass.

That's how Beyer describes them.

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Really don't understand what these companies mean by semi open.
The DT 880 is a open headphone period.

Indeed. Don't consider the DT880 (any ohms) to be anything other than open. They are virtually transparent to the outside.
Maybe Beyer is talking about something technical which creates a particular tonal signature, but in terms of isolation... it's an open can.

shane

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #11 of 12
Yes, it's open, but definitely not your typical open can though and that's why it's considered semi-open because it's very close to a closed can from the way it's manufactured.

You can't call an HD650, a HD800, or even a T1 semi-opened. Not even close. The DT880 seems like it's got it's own nature.

Sep 5, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Yes, it's open, but definitely not your typical open can though and that's why it's considered semi-open because it's very close to a closed can from the way it's manufactured.

Not its not.
It has all the attributes of a open headphone and none of that of a closed headphone.

The only thing I can think of is not as much sound leaks from the outside of it as other open headphones but it still has that sounding leaking.
But that is a very minor thing.
I've never heard one but Denon headphones leak sound and are closed might as well call them semi open if that was the case.

Sound wise all its attributes are of a open headphone still.

AKG likes to call some of their headphones semi open too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back