Curious Cables USB
Nov 18, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 80
  Just ordered a Curious USB cable. Sadly it will be 7-10 days before I receive it. Should be a real "Giant-killer" according to the tests. Will post my thoughts when I have heard it.

http://www.curiouscables.com/media-reviews.html

Anyone heard or may be already own it?

Oooh boy, at those prices...... I consider this one of the big boys.... USD$380 for basically 32 inches of USB cable? I know there are more expensive, but its still pricey.

Nov 19, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 80
I agree! It is pricey and I would never have bought it were it not for the 30 day money back guarantee. Rob will even pay for shipping back.

In my system a labtop is the only source for music and a good USB connection is key for me.

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 80
Just wondering what the outcome of your 30 day trial has been so far. I too just ordered the Curious cable along with the short Regen cable. I have the Light Harmonic Lightspeed 10g currently. It was a game changer, but it seems the unanimous favorable reviews towards the Curious could uproot the Lightspeed. I should get mine in the next few weeks.

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #6 of 80
It got held up in costums and in the meantime I found out that the USB-interface in my DAC (Schiit Gungnir with USB gen. 2) was too bad to justifi buying such an expensive cable. I heard my dac with a Stello U3 USB-SPDIF converter and the Stello absolutely killed the USB gen 2 interface in my dac. The Stello U3 cost around the same as the Curious cable.....

So I refused to pay costums-fee and the cable was returned to Rob Woodland - who kindly returned my Money.

Now I am looking for a Stello U3.

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #7 of 80
I wouldn't mind keeping this thread going if there are others that have tried Curious Cables. I couldn't find another thread on Head-fi for these, although there has been a few mentions in the Regen thread about their Regen Link. I'm considering this Regen Link for starters.

Feb 12, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #8 of 80
I wouldn't mind keeping this thread going if there are others that have tried Curious Cables. I couldn't find another thread on Head-fi for these, although there has been a few mentions in the Regen thread about their Regen Link. I'm considering this Regen Link for starters.

I would check out the Elijah Audio Konvertible Lite 160mm as well. It is an amazing Regen link with crystal clear resolution, vastly improved 3D, awesome bass performance and almost chockingly real presence. In short the best that I have ever heard and the only one that I know about that works unplugging the 5v lead with DACs that needs a handshake. K-Lite w/o 5v lead simply cannot compare to Curious. I own one and are waiting for my 500 mm version w/o 5v lead before the USB Regen as well. Cannot wait! :)

Feb 13, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #9 of 80
I would check out the Elijah Audio Konvertible Lite 160mm as well. It is an amazing Regen link with crystal clear resolution, vastly improved 3D, awesome bass performance and almost chockingly real presence. In short the best that I have ever heard and the only one that I know about that works unplugging the 5v lead with DACs that needs a handshake. K-Lite w/o 5v lead simply cannot compare to Curious. I own one and are waiting for my 500 mm version w/o 5v lead before the USB Regen as well. Cannot wait! :)

Hi Cornan,

Have you compared the Curious and Elijah Audio Konvertible Lite cables? If so, please post your results as I'm quite interested in how these two compare SQ-wise.

In the UpTone Audio USB REGEN thread in this forum, Michael P (Elijah Audio) related that he is arranging for a customer to compare the two cables (post #759). Hopefully we'll see the results soon.

Cheers,

Bernie

Feb 13, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #10 of 80

Hi Cornan,

Have you compared the Curious and Elijah Audio Konvertible Lite cables? If so, please post your results as I'm quite interested in how these two compare SQ-wise.

In the UpTone Audio USB REGEN thread in this forum, Michael P (Elijah Audio) related that he is arranging for a customer to compare the two cables (post #759). Hopefully we'll see the results soon.

Cheers,

Bernie

Hi Bernie!

No, I have'nt compared the Konvertible Lite with Curious cable myself. I know Elijah Audio have a couple of costumers with both Curious cable and Lightspeed G10 who will report back with their findings pretty soon. The K-Lite is an awesome cable IMHO so I am also very eager to hear from Michael! :)

/Micael

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #12 of 80
Any updates ...or is this $$$ placebo BS?

*LOL* Placebo or BS is as usual in the ears of the beholder....but definitely not to my ears! :wink:

It is still early days and the comparison is still not done properly yet. Here is however the initial impressions between the Curious cable and Elijah Audio Konvertible Lite posted by Michael on the USB Regen thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/762967/uptone-audio-usb-regen/795#post_12346099:

Straight out of the box it's a lively cable & one that digs deep into the music to drag out lots of detail. I'm hearing things that I've not heard before in some of my music which is always nice but it also takes a bit of time to get used to. I have them with both 5 v cable +/- & to my ear & in my set up, I can't hear any diff.
 Compared to your original Elijah cable (Aurelic Aries Mini > REGEN USB > Curious cable > PS Audio DAC), your new cables don't allow anywhere for poor recordings to hide which is a testament to the detail these cable find but I think I need to keep playing them for a few more hours so they settle in (due you expect a burn in time, is there such a thing with USB cables?).
 The only issue I have at this early stage is whether they're too analytical & whether they just show up other issues in my system? I'm also not sure whether the bass has reduced a tad or whether it's just more controlled but I'll keep listening to them.
 By way of coincidence, I've also found out that with my Aurelic Aries Mini it's best to switch the oversampling off on my PS Audio DAC. 
 I'm also going to trial the shorter cable (link) in my 2nd set-up which will be direct from my Mac Mini & into my Klein DAC so it maybe easier to compare directly against the Curious cable.

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #13 of 80
I tried the Regen link Curious Cable, but after 60 hours break in, it was still too detailed and maybe I noticed some holes (front-to-back) in the sound stage. In my system the PPA Regen cable works better ( I think it is shorter also).
Rob from Curious is a great guy to work with... no questions asked for the refund.. I can recommend that if you are in the market for this type of cable, it would be good to audition Curious..

Feb 17, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #14 of 80
Just added a 1.5M Curious USB cable (replacing the Schiit PYST) to complete the loom (have the Curious Regen LINK and Uptone Regen Amber).  Initial listening:  Not a huge difference yet but it sounds a bit more "polished".  Not lush or sparkly but tones seems smoother and rounder without getting too warm.  I guess some people say less etched?  Soundstage is easier to define or hear.  I'll let this break in some more as the Regen LINK sounded absolutely horrible when I first got it.  Then after a week, it has become very, very good.

-H

Mar 12, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #15 of 80
Ordered half a dozen Curious cables of various lengths a few weeks ago.  Would love to join in this conversation but the package has been stuck in JFK customs here in New York city.  Contacts with them have not been returned.
How long have any of you waited for yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back