Curious about canalphones...
Jul 4, 2002 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Magicthyse

Better to look good than to sound good!
So got myself an EX70, mainly to see if I could live with a pair jammed in my ear. So far not so good.

My first question is: Are these really the most comfortable canalphones? Or is the ER-6 better (in comfort here - we're not talking about sound. If it helps I'm using the smallest earpieces)? Which provides more isolation (purely for comparative purposes)?

My second question is: I did only get these as a low-risk way of finding out the comfort of canalphones, but are the EX70's really this craptacular in sound? I could swear the 'Laphony' (whadda name...) phones that came with some POS MP3 player a long time ago sounds a heck of a lot better than the EX70's. Heck, even the E808's have to sound better than this...

Jul 4, 2002 at 1:06 PM Post #2 of 10
I own an EX70, too - but they (unmodded) have very boomy midbass with little real deep bass extension, shrieky treble, and - for that Grand Canyon effect - HEY!! WHERE'S THE MIDRANGE? Not to mention that the EX70 is relatively difficult to get an optimal seal with, and even with that seal, the EX70 doesn't isolate any better than most full-sized closed headphones. In other words, they're so crappy that even the full-sized V700DJ (however mediocre that DJ 'phone sounds to me) whoops the EX70!

Jul 4, 2002 at 5:40 PM Post #3 of 10
Perhaps it's my pads or the positioning - but I find they have a very occluded treble and kinda sound like a tin box. I get a good seal against noise - certainly as good as the HD280, but it is uncomfortable - different places of discomfort obviously, but I can wear them for only as long as I can wear the HD280.

I've been hunting here and I see some mods - you tried them?

Jul 4, 2002 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 10
Comfort, like everything else, is relative.

If you were thinking about the possibility of getting to ER6, you may want to save a bit and go for the ER4. There are some folks who have had great success with the comfort and sound of the ER6. I was not one.

I tried to like the ER6. I really did. Kept them for 27 or so days. Felt like my ears had been reamed out by the time I got fed up and sent them back to HeadRoom. Not only was fit painful, but the sound, on the few occassions when I was able to get a decent seal, wasn't optimal. Was much better than what I had been listening to previously (Sony 888s), but still left me feeling the need to upgrade. Bass was OK, mids were very nice, top end was... lacking. Eventually got the ER4.

MUCH more comfortable, much better sound, just an amazing bargain at the HeadRoom price. Never wanted to spend that much on headphones (especially for teeny little buggers that you have to jam into your ears), but they really are worth every penny and more.

With the ER4, have never had to take them out because of discomfort. With ER6, had a max session of an hour, then couldn't insert them again for another two days because of discomfort.

Just my experience, YMMV.

Bruce

Jul 4, 2002 at 7:41 PM Post #5 of 10
An hour is about as long as I can bear a EX70 as well. I wasn't really planning to spend as much as an ER4P on a canalphone since I'm mainly a headphone guy, but there are times when you want something a bit more discreet.

Think I'll make a compromise and get an E888.

Thanks for your input.

Jul 4, 2002 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 10
If you are mostly concerned about comfort, the foam pads that come with the ER6 do feel really comfortable. It's about on par with regular ear plugs people use to go to sleep/ or on planes. A cheap way to figure out if you like them is to go to a drug store and try them out.

Also, I've read about some mods that can be created using store bought foam pads and placed on the headphones (everything from ER6/4 to the Koss "the Plug"). I believe the fixup website has pictures and instructions if you want to mod the foam pads. If you don't have success with the included foam pads with the ER6, you can try to get some store bought ones that you do like and get them modded.

BTW - I find the silicon tips on the ER4 really comfortable (better than the foam). At first I didn't like them, but after a week's use, they feel fine. The first couple of seconds having them in your ear feels a bit weird, then your ears get used to them. Once the music hits, you totally forget about having anything in your ear.

Jul 5, 2002 at 5:32 PM Post #8 of 10
Aiwa aren't sure if they are going to be selling the vx100's in the UK. They say they will decide in a few weeks. From what I have read here they would be well worth a try.

I wish I had the money to own a pair of ER4's
frown.gif

Jul 5, 2002 at 5:45 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Chris T
I wish I had the money to own a pair of ER4's
frown.gif

To wet your appetite that little bit more, i'd personally describe them as ultra refined Sennheisers, with a Grado kick
biggrin.gif

On the bright side, as and when you can afford a pair, the UK distributor is based in Southampton AFAIK
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2002 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 10
A quick reply Duncan
smily_headphones1.gif

You obviously checked my Profile and saw I own Grado's & Sennheisers. What you say has made the frustration even worse
wink.gif

The supplier is in Ringwood I think which is about 15 miles from here. I need to save those pennies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back