CrossRoads MylarOne X3 [Pictorial + Short Review]
May 26, 2007 at 10:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
I must admit, first of all, I am not into dynamic canal 'phone.
My preferences on earphone is more toward neutrality/clarity rather than bass, so naturally I like balanced armature drive more. After owning CX300 (which lacks controlled bass and sounds harsh) and EP-630 (which lays back with boomy bass), I am pretty much convinced myself that a lowly priced [size=xx-small](compare to IEM with BA drive)[/size] dynamic canalphone can never give me a satisfying listening experience that I wanted so much... That ends after I audited the X3.

D01_resize.jpg

As like most owner of X3, mine is also from Jaben. It is about 30% more expensive locally than an EP-630. The one I got is their new stock (and they were already running low on stock). With in the 15 minutes or so I spent in their little shop, I saw 5 other guys (like me) wanted to audit either a X3 or XB and 3 pairs ware sold (including mine). It was neither a weekend nor a holiday, yet these little 'phones just sold like hot cake! Anyway, unlike the previous version the new stock comes with blue box (instead of red), but the content is pretty much the same. You will find a red leathery hard case, the 'phone itself, a shirt-clip, 3 different size of tips and a silicon cable management/warping thingy. What surprised me is the inclusion of the hard case and the cable wrapper, which of course are sold (in brand name) quite expensively by themselves.

D02_resize.jpg

D03_resize.jpg

D04_resize.jpg

I was wondering since the first look on X3's speaker casing: why so long? The longer shape makes it less appearing when compare to CX300 or EP-630. There is nothing stealthy about it, especially on the side of the tips. However, I don't really have any problem with its length in use at all (consider that I have E3c and ER6i). One thing that do bother me is the included tips. The original tips are much less flexible than those of Panasonic or Audio-Technica. It is quite odd when I first put it in my ear, fortunately I have been sticking 6i tri-flange into my ear and get use to the feeling. One thing that keeps me from switching my tips is the fact that the original tips give me a more solid seal and better bass respond (better balance too).

D05_resize.jpg

D06_resize.jpg

So how is X3 sound quality compare to CX300 and EP-630? In simple term, It has CX300's detail upper range and EP-630 more powerful bass respond. In other words, X3 sounds like taking CX300 and EP-630 and making them into a dual-drive canalphone, but sold at less than 1/3 of their combined price! So does X3 sounds any better than ER6i or E3c? Definitely 'Not'. X3 might have better bass than both, but its resolution is still relatively low. I will put it a class lower than either E3c or ER6i, but higher than CX300 or EP-630. I have no doubt that X3 is the strongest competitor for any dynamic drive only canalphone currently in the market considering its price/performance ratio, including 'phones like E2c. It is the KSC75 equivalent in the canalphone market. What can any one ask more for this kind of price?

D07_resize.jpg

On an extra note, I also got a headphone stand as a promotion gift (every buyer got one, but mine is the last, sorry guys
icon10.gif
) Why you need a headphone stand for canalphone? I don't know, but it is free so I am not complaining.
etysmile.gif

D08_resize.jpg

D09_resize.jpg

D10_resize.jpg

May 26, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #2 of 58
Hey Hi, Does Jaben still have stock for these?

May 26, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #6 of 58
Quote:

After owning CX300 (which lacks bass and sounds harsh)

CX300 lacks bass!!!!!
confused.gif
I thought it is bit on boomy side less so than sony ex71sl!

May 26, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #7 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elon3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Hi, Does Jaben still have stock for these?

When I left on Thursday, there are still about 10~20 X3 and unknown # of XB (I didn't have a clean look, but I will say the X3's big box can fill in at least 50~100 of them and I already see the bottom). As of whether Uncle Wilson has more stock coming, I don't really know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do not know much about the X3, is it the top of the line or are there others above it in the CrossRoads lineup?

From what I saw in Jaben, Uncle Wilson had X3 and XB on sell (maybe I missed the rest). The two are both priced similarly so I can't really tell which one is the top dog. However, XB is definitely bassier than X3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CX300 lacks bass!!!!!
confused.gif
I thought it is bit on boomy side less so than sony ex71sl!

Maybe 'lacking bass' isn't the best of words to describe how I feel about CX300. When you compare it to EP-630, It is like CX300's bass just disconnect / out of sync with the music. Its weak mid range makes me feel like the bass is very hollow and doesn't 'click' with the rest of the music. On other hand, EP-630 has excellent mid to bass transition and allows the listener to feel a fuller body of music, which is why I always prefer EP-630 than CX300.

May 26, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #8 of 58
Very nice thanks!!
Someone PM'd me this morning and asked for a q-jays comparison... heres my reply.

IMHO the q-jays are more revealing, faster and snappier sounding. The q-jays also has more treble sparkle/resolution. The balanced armature IEMs (including the d-jays) are just tighter sounding across the spectrum.

The x3 has a little more syruppy, flowing, gushing kind of sound. While the q-jays are more dry, revealing and analytical. So, the M3 is going to impose this sonic character over the amp and source. While the Q-jays are going to sound completely like what is upstream of them.

No way however do I find the M3 muddy or congested. In fact, it is the fastest, snappiest sounding dynamic driver IEM I have heard. Completely blows away the FX33, MDR-EX90 and my modded koss plug. IMHO its very much like the RS1, in that it strikes a very good balance between gushing syrup and analytical resolution.

Jays IEM versus x3, its very much like the difference between the K701 and RS1, or the MS1 and portapro. Revealing and analytical versus flowing and gushing.

Neither is intended to be "top of the line". Uncle Wilson describes one as being a bassier alternative to the other. If you just look at them physically the MylarXB is all aluminum, while the Mylar x3 is all plastic. The XB is a little more expensive too. So, physically the XB appears to be higher end. IMHO the x3 doesn't have the bass impact of the XB. I find both equally enjoyable and would have a hard time listing one as a higher end product than the other... because they have different strengths and weaknesses. If your MP3 player is on the bass shy side the XB will come out the better choice. If you are using an amp, or warm sounding source or are after a more dry kind of sound, the x3 is the better option.

May 26, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 58
kramer5150, I have just received X3 and feel its lacks upper highs and there is treble role off. Mids are better than my CX300. Bass is better. But trebles are lacking. Will this change after burn-in? Then how long will it take?
Have you listened to Futuresonic M5?

May 26, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #10 of 58
ClieOS has just provided the splash of cold water that this FOTM needed. Great at their price point, but not better than armature options at two or three times the cost. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, and I hope that this is how the matter will stand after the dust settles.

Plus it's interesting that Kramer's apostolic conversion to armature drivers has stuck. Perhaps next he'll sell his Grados and get some Stax...

nah.

May 26, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #11 of 58
Hmm now i don't know what to get...

May 26, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #12 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ClieOS has just provided the splash of cold water that this FOTM needed. Great at their price point, but not better than armature options at two or three times the cost. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, and I hope that this is how the matter will stand after the dust settles.

Hopefully not too much water to cool the whole thing off
biggrin.gif
. As Uncle Wilson told another customer, 'It is not the best (IEM) ever, but it is the best on its price range.'

As I said, I will recommend a pair of X3 to anyone who is interested in trying out IEM for the first time or wanting more from their CX300/EP-630 type of sound without paying too much. Of course, there is always more expensive IEM if you really need to have the best of the best.

May 26, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #13 of 58
Quote:

So how is X3 sound quality compare to CX300 and EP-630? In simple term, It has CX300's detail upper range.

That is complete opposite what I feel. My X3 has treble roll-off as well as lack of upper detail!!
confused.gif

Are these having unit to unit variation?????

May 26, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #14 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Plus it's interesting that Kramer's apostolic conversion to armature drivers has stuck. Perhaps next he'll sell his Grados and get some Stax...

nah.

LOL... Yeah I was never a huge fan of speed and detail resolution. Ironically it was a dynamic driver earbud that changed my preferences... PK1. Although the RS1 to me has a perfect balance between the to sides. Just enough resolution to pull you into the depths of the recording, yet unlike a K701 or SA5k, it won't punish you with what you source it with. The Mylar x3 is kind of the same way, IMHO.

May 26, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #15 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is complete opposite what I feel. My X3 has treble roll-off as well as lack of upper detail!!
confused.gif

Are these having unit to unit variation?????

no but i suspect ear to ear variation
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back