Critiquing My Soldering (56k caution)
Jul 20, 2005 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

nitsujH

New Head-Fier
This is my very first soldering experiance, I've never soldered anything together before this, so before I finnish the rest of my CMoy, I wanted to get some tips from you guys and get some sugguestions.

Sorry for the shotty quality, my camera doesn't take close pictures very well.
soldering.bmp

*edit* Is the resistor (RLED) directional? The LED works when I put the battery termanals on the ends of the wires, but when I put the resistor on the neg. termanal and the other wire on the pos. termanal the LED doesn't light up.

Jul 20, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 22
You heat the wire up too much so the sleeving is melting. Also, you use too much solder. Im not quite sure whats going on to what wire you soldered to the resister, but it should look like that. All in all if it holds congrats, but you need to practice more.

-Alex-

Jul 20, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by nitsujH
*edit* Is the resistor (RLED) directional? The LED works when I put the battery termanals on the ends of the wires, but when I put the resistor on the neg. termanal and the other wire on the pos. termanal the LED doesn't light up.

The resister makes no difference which way you put it on. The LED does.

-Alex-

Jul 20, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip
The resister makes no difference which way you put it on. The LED does.

-Alex-

I put RLED on the short side of the LED, that's supposed to be the negative side right?

Jul 20, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinbios
It doesn't matter where the resistor goes, as long as it's between the supply and the LED.

So why doesn't the LED lightup when I put the resistor between the battery and the LED?

Jul 20, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #11 of 22
Twist the leads of the resistor and the LED together, that way you should be able to use alot less solder, and it should look like the second lead goes off at an angle like that.

Jul 21, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX
You sure you got the polarity right on the battery?
If so then your Rled may be to big for the led.
What LED you using?

Polarity is right. I'm using This LED

Jul 21, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #14 of 22
If your resistor is too strong, you won't see any light. Try it without the resistor for a split second just to make sure your LED isn't dead.

If you don't get any light at all, you have blown the LED. This is either caused by too much current for about 10 minutes, or reverse polarity for about 5 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back