crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Jun 27, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #3,167 of 3,338
Yeah, I was a bit let-down by M9. I would reach for FDX1 for better technical performance. M9 is pricy for it's performance given that FDX1 exists. I wouldn't even say better bass as dynamic bass sounds better.
With an 8 core silver cable it is MUCH improved. With the silver cable it complements the FDX1 nicely for me, i like its vocal presentation better and its comparable to the FDX1 in terms of technicalities but with a slightly warmer presentation.

That said, for $1000 i woudn't consider it. I got mine for 500 used from a friend.

Sep 27, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #3,168 of 3,338
Hi guys,

Looking for a TOTL IEM around 2K USD. This would be my only IEM and potentially only high end audio device (would sell my Denon AH-D9200). Current contenders are:

1. U12t
2. Final Audio A8000 - honestly, I loveeeeeee the design of these and Final as a whole. I've heard these are great for classical but how are they for modern pop, EDM, or alternative rock?
3. EE ESR
4. Andromeda 2020/Solaris 2020

Would really appreciate your help!
I like a wide and deep soundstage, excellent resolution, and forward mids

They would be used with a JDS Atom+ stack at home

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #3,170 of 3,338
Hi guys,

Looking for a TOTL IEM around 2K USD. This would be my only IEM and potentially only high end audio device (would sell my Denon AH-D9200). Current contenders are:

1. U12t
2. Final Audio A8000 - honestly, I loveeeeeee the design of these and Final as a whole. I've heard these are great for classical but how are they for modern pop, EDM, or alternative rock?
3. EE ESR

Used Odin.

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #3,171 of 3,338
2. Final Audio A8000 - how are they for modern pop, EDM, or alternative rock?

They do seem very natural with it's dynamic driver timbre. They are also extremely detailed for an dynamic driver iem but boy they are extremely sharp and fafiguing with piercing treble. I found them almost unlistenable with anything else than great recordings.

Andromeda is great but it's not in TOTL territory. Solaris has suppressed/veiled vocals and you want forward mids.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #3,174 of 3,338
Hi guys,

1. U12t
3. EE ESR

To second some of the thoughts above:
- Used Odin or U18s are your best bet if you are okay with used products.
- I would pass on A8000 if it is going to be your only earphone/HP. And this is coming from a Final fan.
- Andromeda 2020 / Sony M9 *are* TOTL in my opinion. Both are better than the next-one-up (Solaris 2020, IER-Z1R; too bright).
- Another thing to keep in mind: none that you've listed have a particularly forward mids. I would call them neutral to neutral-bright. If mids is really the priority, I'd look else where.

graph (3).png
graph (2).png

Pay attention to the relative quantity at 5khz. The tiniest difference here matters.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #3,175 of 3,338
They do seem very natural with it's dynamic driver timbre. They are also extremely detailed for an dynamic driver iem but boy they are extremely sharp and fafiguing with piercing treble. I found them almost unlistenable with anything else than great recordings.

Andromeda is great but it's not in TOTL territory. Solaris has suppressed/veiled vocals and you want forward mids.
I dont find the a8000 being extremely sharp and fatiguing at all. Less than something like an ie900. k3003 sound sharp and piercing to me.

Sep 27, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #3,176 of 3,338
Wow edric. Your a final fan and dislike the a8000? What is it you dislike about them? I was going to get a pair of finals and thanks for your impressions.
- I would pass on A8000 if it is going to be your only earphone/HP. And this is coming from a Final fan.
- Andromeda 2020 / Sony M9 *are* TOTL in my opinion. Both are better than the next-one-up (Solaris 2020, IER-Z1R; too bright).
- Another thing to keep in mind: none that you've listed have a particularly forward mids. I would call them neutral to neutral-bright. If mids is really the priority, I'd look else where.

graph (3).png
graph (2).png

Pay attention to the relative quantity at 5khz. The tiniest difference here matters.

Sep 27, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #3,177 of 3,338
Used Odin.
Man I do love the look of the Odin! Just worried about the size of the bore. I don’t have big ears.

Thanks for that! That’s sad about the peakiness. I love Final’s design philosophy and the care they put into their products. Would you answer change at all if I tell you I don’t listen to music very loud? Probably around 70 dB.

Just get a 64 audio a18s ,best iem that i heard up to date :)
hahah that’s interesting! I’ve heard people say U12T is the sweet spot in 64audio’s lineup. Regardless, the lack of being able to resell it is pushing me away from customs.

graph (3).png
graph (2).png

I dont find the a8000 being extremely sharp and fatiguing at all. Less than something like an ie900. k3003 sound sharp and piercing to me.

I don’t necessarily need the mids to be very forward - I just don’t want an extremely V shaped headphones that push make vocals all the way to the back. Slight V shape is great though

Sep 27, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #3,178 of 3,338
Wow edric. Your a final fan and dislike the a8000? What is it you dislike about them? I was going to get a pair of finals and thanks for your impressions.
If you are fine with your FW10000 then you'll be absolutely fine with the A8000. Give it a shot. My ears are sensitive to treble, hence the impression. I'd take a pair of A8000 if I have something neutral or warm as my daily drivers, and just use the A8000 when I want some wow factor. But I wouldn't take it if it is the only pair I have to live with.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #3,179 of 3,338
Hi guys,

1. U12t
3. EE ESR

You might wanna throw in the VE Elysium if you'd like forward mids, plus the fireworks you'd mentioned. That might do the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back