crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Sep 24, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #2,341 of 3,338
Anyone with any insight on this?

you generally want good bass extensions with maybe some roll-off at the treble (to avoid harshness at the top). A big soundstage would be a bonus, but I reckon imaging and separation would be much more important.

that's my 2 cents, at least, someone here might know better.

Sep 29, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #2,344 of 3,338
@crinacle I have not seen the signatures you ascribe to the different IEMs explained. Could you explain which signature is suited for what genre? And is there a signature which is particularly well suited for classical music?

Well I occasionally listen to classical music and I would prefer a neutral signature (flat) for it, so as not to emphasize any frequencies.
As @Zerohour88 said, imaging, soundstage and instrument separation are important in classical.
But I think a very important aspect is also that of instrument timbre, though not everyone is particular about timbre. Some of the BA IEMs may give a slightly artificial timbre for woodwind, string and brass instruments. I find in general the dedicated DD IEMs give better timbre, but they tend to lose out in instrument separation and clarity.
Well that's just my 2 cents, I hope others can advise too.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #2,346 of 3,338
Sep 30, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #2,348 of 3,338
It's time we have a talk.

On the Record: Power

I certainly support the main idea. I went crazy too many times when facing guys who think that everything gets improved with
200w.webp

I propose a rule of thumb, it goes like this: when someone has so little understanding about electricity that he can't even handle applying Ohm's law to an oversimplified circuit with the headphone as load in series, he should **** on matters of current, voltage and power.
a pretty simple rule of thumb, real easy to follow and pretty reasonable IMO.

you should replace 'impedance matching' by impedance bridging as that's what you're discussing. I'm a little tempted to nitpick here and there, but I'll leave you alone(this time:imp:).

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #2,353 of 3,338
Is the normal Andromeda also an S- or just the Andromeda S?

I'm trying to save up for Andromedas. It'll be a huge jump for me because the best I've heard are the Brainwavz B400 and iBasso IT01. Would it be worth it?
if u can demo them, please demo them first. Grade is not everything.

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #2,354 of 3,338
After receiving the BIE and comparing it with MH755, I think I have now noticed where Crin and HBB differs. HBB mostly cares and obsess about how resolving an iem is (eg. Rolands and the BIE) and tonality just comes after detail OCD, while Crin has a more "professional" standards, if I may call it, Crin considers both tonality and details hand in hand.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #2,355 of 3,338
After receiving the BIE and comparing it with MH755, I think I have now noticed where Crin and HBB differs. HBB mostly cares and obsess about how resolving an iem is (eg. Rolands and the BIE) and tonality just comes after detail OCD, while Crin has a more "professional" standards, if I may call it, Crin considers both tonality and details hand in hand.

Crin is a self confessed (sub) basshead. HBB hypes stuff up way too much, hard to guage what is really going on with his reviews, when his opinion swings as often and as dramatically as it does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back