crinacle's IEM Ranking List
May 17, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #1,801 of 3,338
This ticks two boxes, its definitely has smooth and warm sounding highs, soundstage is decent but I don't think it has good clarity in the mids, likewise I think it will lack the level of DD oomph he's looking for. It's also more midbassy than rumbly.

Ive tried the FH5, IT03 and IT04 and I'd put them like this : IT04>FH5>IT03

Another option would be the FiiO FA7 which I would place on par with the IT04 but with a different tuning.

Edit: the IT01S is also a noteworthy iem to check out but the highs are more energetic (but not harsh) so I'm not sure if you'd like them.

Thanks. Given the price of the FH5 vs. the IT04, I'm tempted to give the FH5 a shot. From what I've read it should have plenty of sub-bass probably for my liking, but how's the clarity in the mid-range? And how would you describe the highs? Would the IT04 be significantly better at 2x the cost of the FH5?

FWIW, probably my overall favorite headphone in terms of sound signature is the Sony MDR-7520, which is a pro monitor type headphone. Very clean and deep bass, extremely clear mid-range and crisp highs. Very detailed sound. The only area where it lacks is in soundstage width and depth, but imaging is great. I'm hoping to find something similar in an IEM (the Sony MDR-7550 would probably come close, but it doesn't isolate well at all so I've ruled that out).

May 18, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #1,802 of 3,338
I think I found my best IEM, Hidition NT6 (V2 maybe). I've been a big fan of ER4S for a quite long time (since 2015). Owned and tried quite a lot of IEMs and headphones (HD800, Isine 20 are top ones I had) but ER4S always being my best. Two weeks ago I got EX1000 that I pursued for long time. It's very nice IEM but I just consider it's a side upgrade of ER4S.
Accidentally, I got a bargain of custom NT6 (only 250,000 KRW~ $210) that was my dream I never thought it will become true especially at that price. And fortunately, I don't need to reshell to fit my ear. It fits my ear securely with silicon tips (little big for my ear so feel little painful after long time use).
After optimizing the fit (change different eartips, modify the nozzle size), wow, the sound quality is in a total different league, which makes ER4S sounds congested and compressed. Clarity, sound stage, imaging, dynamic, frequency extension and presentation are notably better with NT6. Only one thing I found it's slightly overbright that may be due to my imperfect fit. Therefore, I'd like to ask some opinions to reduce the brightness, probably by changing cable (I'm using silver plated cable) or using better matching DAP (currently Fiio X5 gen 1).
Thanks,

May 21, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #1,803 of 3,338
@crinacle you’ve given S rankings to QDC 8SL, Gemini, and Anole VX. Would you say the 8SH and 8SS are on that level too?

May 21, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #1,804 of 3,338
I think I found my best IEM, Hidition NT6 (V2 maybe). I've been a big fan of ER4S for a quite long time (since 2015). Owned and tried quite a lot of IEMs and headphones (HD800, Isine 20 are top ones I had) but ER4S always being my best. Two weeks ago I got EX1000 that I pursued for long time. It's very nice IEM but I just consider it's a side upgrade of ER4S.
Accidentally, I got a bargain of custom NT6 (only 250,000 KRW~ $210) that was my dream I never thought it will become true especially at that price. And fortunately, I don't need to reshell to fit my ear. It fits my ear securely with silicon tips (little big for my ear so feel little painful after long time use).
After optimizing the fit (change different eartips, modify the nozzle size), wow, the sound quality is in a total different league, which makes ER4S sounds congested and compressed. Clarity, sound stage, imaging, dynamic, frequency extension and presentation are notably better with NT6. Only one thing I found it's slightly overbright that may be due to my imperfect fit. Therefore, I'd like to ask some opinions to reduce the brightness, probably by changing cable (I'm using silver plated cable) or using better matching DAP (currently Fiio X5 gen 1).
Thanks,

You can try playing around with insertion depth and perhaps trying final e tips.

May 26, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #1,805 of 3,338
I need a recommendation. Looking for a new iem, sub $500, but preferably sub $300. Currently have the JH13FP (I believe also called the v1), which is an awesome CIEM, neutralish and very clear in the mids.

This week just for fun picked up the Sennheiser IE 40 Pro, which is a DD. Only cost $100, but pretty fun for the price. Nice deep and extended sub bass, mids fairly clear as there's no bass bleed, but somewhat recessed otherwise. Highs are slightly emphasized, but grainy at times and good for the price. U shaped overall I'd say. Imaging is great and soundstage decent. Anyway, a fun change from the JH13FP, but definitely not at that level.

Hoping to find an IEM with the oomph from a DD and the clarity of a BA in the mids without very harsh highs. Detailed sound, good imaging and soundstage would be nice. I guess I'd want to try a hybrid, as a full BA setup just will never have that same type of bass definition and extension as a good DD can have.

I've read about the Fiio FH5, ibasso IT03 and IT04, but not sure what else I'm missing. Would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!

The Sony XBA N3 are almost word for word what you describe.

May 31, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #1,806 of 3,338
Could someone recommend me some IEMs off Crinacle's list? My budget is ~$2000 and I listen to mainly EDM (nothing extreme, just future bass) and some hip-hop/R&B.

I currently have Andromedas but I've also owned the Hyla CE-5 and ER4XR. I don't yet understand what sound signature I prefer but in general, I prefer something that has more punchy bass and that doesn't have any harsh/pronounced treble. I love my andros but for some EDM songs they hurt a little in higher frequencies and my taste in music has changed because of them. Preferably, I'm looking for something similar to the campfire cascades (with a tad less bass). I've tried the vegas and they were very underwhelming with everything sounding so muffled so I guess I just want something like the andromedas with slightly more bass or less treble.

Any recommendations are very welcome! I don't need a definitive answer, I'm just hoping someone could point me towards some IEMs to try out; I'm going to be traveling to China, Singapore, and Japan in the next two months where I can try out IEMs but I want to start with a smaller list.

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #1,807 of 3,338
Could someone recommend me some IEMs off Crinacle's list? My budget is ~$2000 and I listen to mainly EDM (nothing extreme, just future bass) and some hip-hop/R&B.

I currently have Andromedas but I've also owned the Hyla CE-5 and ER4XR. I don't yet understand what sound signature I prefer but in general, I prefer something that has more punchy bass and that doesn't have any harsh/pronounced treble. I love my andros but for some EDM songs they hurt a little in higher frequencies and my taste in music has changed because of them. Preferably, I'm looking for something similar to the campfire cascades (with a tad less bass). I've tried the vegas and they were very underwhelming with everything sounding so muffled so I guess I just want something like the andromedas with slightly more bass or less treble.

Any recommendations are very welcome! I don't need a definitive answer, I'm just hoping someone could point me towards some IEMs to try out; I'm going to be traveling to China, Singapore, and Japan in the next two months where I can try out IEMs but I want to start with a smaller list.

You can look into the Beyerdynamic Xelento. Just picked these up myself, they have a ton of bass and it reaches very deep. Very punchy, but at the same time not overdone relative to the rest of the frequency range. Highs are present, but not harsh, mids slightly recessed (so a bit V shaped). Very detailed, clear and wide soundscape, but at the same time pretty smooth. And they're very comfortable to wear.

Relative to your Andromeda, these will have more sub-bass, less mid-bass, less mids and less treble in the very high range (try Crinacle's new graph comparison tool on his site).

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #1,809 of 3,338

Seems like the Hyla CE-5 is perfect for EDM.

May 31, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #1,811 of 3,338
You can look into the Beyerdynamic Xelento. Just picked these up myself, they have a ton of bass and it reaches very deep. Very punchy, but at the same time not overdone relative to the rest of the frequency range. Highs are present, but not harsh, mids slightly recessed (so a bit V shaped). Very detailed, clear and wide soundscape, but at the same time pretty smooth. And they're very comfortable to wear.

Relative to your Andromeda, these will have more sub-bass, less mid-bass, less mids and less treble in the very high range (try Crinacle's new graph comparison tool on his site).
Added these to my list, thank you. I hope they have them to try out in China as that's where I'm headed first.

May 31, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #1,812 of 3,338
Added these to my list, thank you. I hope they have them to try out in China as that's where I'm headed first.

Yeah, and otherwise try the A&K T9IE. This is the new version of the A&K T8IE which is essentially the same as the Beyerdynamic Xelento (A&K collaborated with Beyerdynamic on the T8IE, and Beyerdynamic slighly tweaked the tuning for the Xelento).

May 31, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #1,813 of 3,338
I liked the Hylas, the bass they had was perfect but the tuning was very strange and they were harsher in high frequency than the andromedas and it hurt to listen to them for too long.
Strange I find the higher frequencies not harsh at all. I’ve tried different cables on them as well.

DAP I’ve used are Hiby R6 and AK240.

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #1,814 of 3,338
Strange I find the higher frequencies not harsh at all. I’ve tried different cables on them as well.

DAP I’ve used are Hiby R6 and AK240.

Totally agree, I find the treble from the CE-5 and more so from the TE5B to be absolutely perfect, much much better than anything from the Campfire Audio camp.

Jun 1, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #1,815 of 3,338
Totally agree, I find the treble from the CE-5 and more so from the TE5B to be absolutely perfect, much much better than anything from the Campfire Audio camp.
Me too agree: Hyla 5 are fantastic with electronic music and has avery nice treble when the fitting is perfect and the cable is mixed copper and silver. Compared to andro is a little close but bass of Hyla are fantastic. Anyway the best for a complete and fantastic experience of music i found 64 Audio U12t. A & K T8IE is a very fun IEM, but similar to andro regardind the Harsh treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back