crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Nov 27, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #1,309 of 3,338
Need a recommendation for a good solid IEM that's relatively balanced with a great bass section. Looking at the Massdrop Plus, FLC8N/D, DUNU Falcon-C and Sony MDR-EX800ST. What do you guys think?
I haven't heard the others but like my MD+. It's the most comfortable IEM I've tried, fairly neutral w/ slight bass boost and serves as a decent replacement when I don't feel like carrying around my Andromeda and dac/amp. The L side 2 pin connector does have a tendency to loosen with excessive fiddling

Nov 27, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #1,310 of 3,338
Need a recommendation for a good solid IEM that's relatively balanced with a great bass section. Looking at the Massdrop Plus, FLC8N/D, DUNU Falcon-C and Sony MDR-EX800ST. What do you guys think?

Sony N3 maybe.

Nov 27, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #1,313 of 3,338
Unfortunately I don't see it in Crinacle's ratings.

Seems like N3 has relatively flown under the radar -
It's kind of a low key sound too- I was never enthralled with it but it's probably my most used headphone of the past year+, and I keep finding msyelf suggesting it to people.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #1,315 of 3,338
Look how great their QC is for $8 iem

Sony_MH755_frequency_response_3_pairs.png

Sony_MH755_blocked_vent_stem__sealed_rear_cup.png

Sony_MH755_sealed_rear_2017_Harman_In-Ear_target_compensated.png

Nov 27, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #1,316 of 3,338
I've had the sony N3 for quite a few month, and I find them the best in the sub $300 range:
- confortable
- good noise insulation
- replaceable cable
- very good sound - more expensive gear will just carry like 3% more detail across the range, but the overall SQ is largely enough to allow a good experience even when listening to demanding music (e.g. orchestral and choral music)

Nov 27, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #1,318 of 3,338
So I received my 2 pairs of $8 sony MH755 earbuds from a local online seller.. based on their clarity, soundstage presentation and depth, instruments separation, transparency, and overall tonal balance, i think they are either original or excellent quality fakes..

One thing that bothers me quite a lot though is the sub bass boost.. it literally rumbles my ears and is waaay too much on tracks with low notes, such as Hotel California (Hell Freezes Over).. I think this is consistent with the earlier FR graph which says that the bass is boosted by up to 15dB..

On the other hand, I am really amazed how Crinnacle's loaner pair with the cable pin mod can have such a flat frequency response including the bass.. would be curious to see how his own pair from the sony SBH56 turn out to be..

Cheers!

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #1,319 of 3,338
I actually tried the MH755, and owned for some time the MH1C, and I can say:
- both have a very fun easy going signature, which can work with any type of music, as long as you don't expect too much detail pulled from the sound
- The MH1C had elevated basses, with sub-bass boost and recessed high mids and treebles; +6db eq. at 4kHz could nicely bring forward detail for some kind of music e.g. with string instruments;
- The MH755 to me sound like a full-on basshead iem, way more bassy than MH1C.

The friend who lent them to me although was looking to replace them for when they would break, and it told me of inconsistency in opinions on this IEM found in the web. Maybe because of fakes or regional variations?

Nov 27, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #1,320 of 3,338
Could we please get some pointers on how to do this 2 pin cable mod? I saw the cable length (35 cm) on the MH755 and is quite horrified already before even receiving the shipment.. thank you in advance!

What the guy did was that he cut the cables out and soldered a female 2-pin connector onto the severed ends. Obviously you'll need a bit of mechanical know-how to do it but what you can do is to use a 3.5mm female to male cable extender instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back