crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Sep 3, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #2,251 of 3,338
Nah, he doesn't hate bass that much. In fact, if you've watched his reviews you can see that he's ready to accept any amount of bass and lack of details as long as the treble is smooth. He does that to a fault coz he's bashing on pretty decent iems he's never heard just because of peaks in the measurements and recommends ridiculously rolled-off stuff instead.

In his isine video comparing the v1 and v2 DAC. He had like -6db or more on all bass. That is the most recent example anyway and what I was basing my response on. The guy is all over the place really tho overall.

Sep 3, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #2,252 of 3,338
An IEM tuned by a YouTuber? This should be interesting.

EarFun x Oluv Free: Unboxing
The tuning looks closest to Ety in the upper frequencies, but a bit subs emphasized.

I wish I can do the same. Draw out a response, and be like, "make me this type of response." I wish I could do this in a number of iteration to figure out my preference target with precision.

If this really precise to what Oluv drew out, they have good tuning capabilities in terms of tonal response. I would be interested if they put out a well tuned wired. Channel matching is very good, which tells us about their QC.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #2,253 of 3,338
FH7 has the most/basshead satisfying sub bass down to the lowest registers with a V-shaped fun signature. No need to eq at all.

Really? The FH7 would be considered V-shaped? From reviews, I got the impression that it wasn't a serious basshead IEM and more in the U-shaped spectrum. With no way to demo anything, I'm trying to figure out my sound by buying stuff online and reading reviews. I have the FH7, and while I love the low end, the high end isn't working for me. So, I gambled on the Solaris, which is awesome, but it leaves me wanting more fun down low. Basically, I want the Solaris spacious soundstage with the FH7's low end. I'm pondering the Legend X, and I'm wondering if that's really the best Empire Ears model for me. I listen to indie rock, electronic, neosoul, chill (lots of vocals, seldom huge house rumbling gobs of bass), and I get the impression that a V-shape is hard on vocals.

Sep 3, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #2,254 of 3,338
Seriously the the bass in the FH7 and the Solaris sound like toys compared to the bass on all the Empire Ears IEM's with Dynamic Drivers. The Bravado, Vantage, Legend X etc. have so much sub-bass extension ( and plenty of output at that level unless many others) that it's hard to go back to other brands, particularly if you like your bass. Those that say the FH7 is a basshead IEM (which it is not even close) don't know what bass is.

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #2,255 of 3,338
FH7 is not really basshead. Slight V-shape, more U shape really, depending on the filter actually, the mids can shine a little more.

Basshead is like Legend X with two DDs on each side. Bravado is bassy too, but more sub-bassy.

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #2,256 of 3,338
Nah, he doesn't hate bass that much. In fact, if you've watched his reviews you can see that he's ready to accept any amount of bass and lack of details as long as the treble is smooth. He does that to a fault coz he's bashing on pretty decent iems he's never heard just because of peaks in the measurements and recommends ridiculously rolled-off stuff instead.
That tw does look Rolled off after the usual upper-mids hump. When I saw his Kanas Pro review, I pretty much lost interest in his reviews afterwards. I think he said it sounds a bit much treble or something like that, and there is no way that's the case. So, his preference seem to be showing, but also, he may also be all over the place. Does a good Youtube reviewer exist?

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #2,257 of 3,338
That tw does look Rolled off after the usual upper-mids hump. When I saw his Kanas Pro review, I pretty much lost interest in his reviews afterwards. I think he said it sounds a bit much treble or something like that, and there is no way that's the case. So, his preference seem to be showing, but also, he may also be all over the place. Does a good Youtube reviewer exist?
porta.fi is somewhat non-bias, the statements are all comparison between iems. It's all up to us. But the accent is quite thick sometimes.

Sep 3, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #2,258 of 3,338

i watch his videos, but i always skip the part when he talks and jump straight to the sound demo, and then draw my own conclusion from that. his demo convinced me not to buy the Earfun.

i rather enjoy the Youtuber Super Review. his conclusions usually are inline with what i found for myself. he's mostly only reviews budget to mid priced gears only though

Sep 4, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #2,259 of 3,338
Really? The FH7 would be considered V-shaped? From reviews, I got the impression that it wasn't a serious basshead IEM and more in the U-shaped spectrum. With no way to demo anything, I'm trying to figure out my sound by buying stuff online and reading reviews. I have the FH7, and while I love the low end, the high end isn't working for me. So, I gambled on the Solaris, which is awesome, but it leaves me wanting more fun down low. Basically, I want the Solaris spacious soundstage with the FH7's low end. I'm pondering the Legend X, and I'm wondering if that's really the best Empire Ears model for me. I listen to indie rock, electronic, neosoul, chill (lots of vocals, seldom huge house rumbling gobs of bass), and I get the impression that a V-shape is hard on vocals.
Yes to me it does have a slight dip in vocals thats all. Sorry to correct this, V/U shaped is almost the same term to me sorry for the misunderstanding. Maybe I should have said U-shaped instead

Sep 5, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #2,260 of 3,338
Seriously the the bass in the FH7 and the Solaris sound like toys compared to the bass on all the Empire Ears IEM's with Dynamic Drivers. The Bravado, Vantage, Legend X etc. have so much sub-bass extension ( and plenty of output at that level unless many others) that it's hard to go back to other brands, particularly if you like your bass. Those that say the FH7 is a basshead IEM (which it is not even close) don't know what bass is.
I am a basshead, and have been looking for quality iems that satisfy and will have to give Empire Ears a look. Thanks

Sep 5, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #2,261 of 3,338
I am a basshead, and have been looking for quality iems that satisfy and will have to give Empire Ears a look. Thanks
I’ve never cared much for bass and I spend most of the time killing it in my setups but Empire is next level witchcraft with their bass quality

Sep 5, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #2,262 of 3,338
Have you ever tried Sony MDR-EX800ST IEMs with the tape mod? Best bass I've ever heard in an IEM. Rest of the spectrum is great also.

Sep 5, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #2,263 of 3,338
I’ve never cared much for bass and I spend most of the time killing it in my setups but Empire is next level witchcraft with their bass quality
Good to know, as I thought Campfire has all the bass.

Sep 5, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #2,264 of 3,338
Have you ever tried Sony MDR-EX800ST IEMs with the tape mod? Best bass I've ever heard in an IEM. Rest of the spectrum is great also.
I will look into that one, as well. Thanks! I do have super small ears, and find it hard to find iems that fit.

Sep 5, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #2,265 of 3,338
guys, need your advice.

CL2 vs KSE1200.

For vocals and resolution. And yes, this is for portable use. Not sure if KSE1200 worth the hassle of having its own amp. I have isine20 and love it so much with my setup, cipher V2+dolby atmos(movie). It sounds so clear with vocal and its resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back