crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Jul 9, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #571 of 3,338
If the B-stock Andromeda is available, where can one find a pair to buy?

Thanks

PS: If you're referring to those on this site, then I have found them, so never mind. They're going for $849 though:
ed
https://aloaudio.deals/shop/andromeda-iem-by-campfire-audio/

Okay, new twist: I had my mind set on the Andromeda and nearly pulled the trigger a couple of days ago. It seemed to have most things I wanted in a pair of IEMs, from independent reviews I read. However, consulting a few reviews about how it pairs with my Astell & Kern KANN, which is the DAP I intend to use it for, all the impressions I have read so far are unfavorable (although there are not many such reviews, but, still, they all seem to be consistently negative, with some even reporting the presence of noise and hiss)...

So I am back again on the hunt... and savoring the "torment" of all the ironies I am running into in this quest... :)

Jul 9, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #572 of 3,338
Okay, new twist: I had my mind set on the Andromeda and nearly pulled the trigger a couple of days ago. It seemed to have most things I wanted in a pair of IEMs, from independent reviews I read. However, consulting a few reviews about how it pairs with my Astell & Kern KANN, which is the DAP I intend to use it for, all the impressions I have read so far are unfavorable (although there are not many such reviews, but, still, they all seem to be consistently negative, with some even reporting the presence of noise and hiss)...

So I am back again on the hunt... and savoring the "torment" of all the ironies I am running into in this quest... :)
What is the output impedance of the Kann? Andros sweet spot is between 1 and 2 ohms.

BUT lots of Andro users have had great success with the IEMatch from iFi. Both in terms of hiss and freq response this solves most of the pairing issues one encounters with Andros.

Jul 9, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #573 of 3,338

Really? I didn't hear any noise or hiss on my Andromeda when I was demoing the KANN. That aside, I didn't like the KANN, too warm for my liking.

Jul 9, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #574 of 3,338
Really? I didn't hear any noise or hiss on my Andromeda when I was demoing the KANN. That aside, I didn't like the KANN, too warm for my liking.

Well I, on the other hand, do like the Kann, when paired with my full-size cans, such as the LCD-X or Hifiman He-1000. The IEMs I am contemplating would be strictly for OTG use, so I have to take the negative impressions of the Kann + Andros pairing seriously. At any rate, this strikes me as a purchase that can wait, until I am very clear about the pairing which will work for me... In the meantime, I have cheaper mid-fi or lo-fi IEMs (the Sennheiser IE-8i, for example) that work perfectly with the KANN for casual OTG listening, so I do not feel rushed about getting a more TOTL pair of IEMs urgently, and that helps while I wait.

Thanks for your input.

Jul 9, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #575 of 3,338
Well I, on the other hand, do like the Kann, when paired with my full-size cans, such as the LCD-X or Hifiman He-1000. The IEMs I am contemplating would be strictly for OTG use, so I have to take the negative impressions of the Kann + Andros pairing seriously. At any rate, this strikes me as a purchase that can wait, until I am very clear about the pairing which will work for me... In the meantime, I have cheaper mid-fi or lo-fi IEMs (the Sennheiser IE-8i, for example) that work perfectly with the KANN for casual OTG listening, so I do not feel rushed about getting a more TOTL pair of IEMs urgently, and that helps while I wait.

Thanks for your input.

Good thing Campfire has such a great return policy. Nothing beats hearing with your own ears.

Jul 10, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #576 of 3,338

No, dont. Dont pair Kann with Andromeda. Horrible hiss covering the details. I had both once.

Jul 12, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #577 of 3,338
@crinacle

Have you had chance to listen to Final Audio E4000 / E5000, iBasso IT04, FiiO FH5? Seem like the new releases around here.

Jul 12, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #578 of 3,338
No, dont. Dont pair Kann with Andromeda. Horrible hiss covering the details. I had both once.

Thanks for confirming this, I think the Andromeda is off the table for me and the Kann now, given their apparent mutual incompatibility. Now, I might well go back to reconsidering the Noble Kaiser K10, which is back on Massdrop, despite its relative lack of popularity with some of the posters on this forum. It is very well reviewed, both on this site, and elsewhere, so it does not seem as if I would be making any glaring error by choosing it. Besides which, I might even get to like it, and like it a lot. Different folks, different ears, different strokes, and all that jazz...

If I wind up getting the K10, it would be for use with the A&K Kann exclusively, so I need confirmation, from those who have tried them together before, that this pairing works, without any hitches, hisses, and background noises... and then the road to prime time would be paved :)

Jul 14, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #579 of 3,338
Some stupidly short notes in no particular order because why not. I'll go in-depth once I'm back in Australia and have some time to type all my feelings out.
  • PEARS SH3: Wow, very impressive. I'd recommend these over the UERR as reference IEMs to be honest.
  • 64 Audio U18Tzar re-listen: not very impressive now. It's kind of has this "everything is okay" thing going on, but also nothing really special is sticking out. Not even its resolution.
  • 64 Audio Tia Trio re-listen: huh, the other demo unit sounds less wonky. I'd daresay now it's pretty much "right". Now I really think there's no reason to get a Fourte.
  • Lark Studio LSX: nothing stands out. It's a thing.
  • Sony EX1000: So goddamned picky and so critical of source files. Too intense for daily listening but it's extremely technical and competent.
  • Sony EX800/MDR-7550: the slightly bassier, warmer, more forgiving EX1000.
  • Symphonium Audio Mirage: mediocre.
  • Symphonium Audio Aurora: not bad. For the price it's a pretty great deal.
  • FiiO F3: very nice U-shaped dynamic sound. Gets my vote for a cheap pick.
  • FiiO F5: typical V-shaped dynamic sound.
  • JVC FW-01: soooo heavy, so dense, so rich.
  • HUM Pristine Reference (force fitted custom): sounds a lot different from the demo unit I tried ages ago. A lot more engaging, less congested and less dark sounding. Wouldn't drop MSRP cash on it still though.
  • JH Audio Billie Jean: it's... a thing. Nothing really stands out neither particularly bad or good.
  • Kinera IDUN: was expecting a lot of bad things considering the H3 and the SEED. Surprisingly, not bad. Pretty much what I expect for that asking price.
  • Stealthsonics U2: veeery V-shaped, rather sharp. Not for me.
  • Stealthsonics U4: A thing
  • Stealthsonics U9: kinda meh in timbre, edging on congestion at times. Good bass though.
  • Stealthsonics U9 JDM: fixes the congestion issue in the standard U9 and better at being natural. I like.
  • Advanced GT3: treble daggers into my ears. No.
  • RHA CL750: treble icepicks into my ears. Nooo.
  • RHA CL1: NOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • Unique Melody ME1: mushy, no definition, off timbre. This is not how to do an in-ear planar.
  • Kumitate KL-Sirius: pretty much the definition of "Japanese neutral". A very good IEM.
  • Kumitate KL-REF Type S: amazing bass. Horrible timbre. Apparently it was specifically tuned for one singer; I can see that.
  • Earsonics EM10: rather dead and oddly tuned. Actually, that kind of applies to the rest of Earsonics' lineup. The French have weird taste.
  • Lime Ears Model X: not bad. Well balanced and the two modes are decently different from one another, either as a "musical" or "reference" IEM.
  • ARC Pollux: might impressive for a single BA. Would recommend if a cheap custom is a necessary purchase.
  • VSonic (new) GR07: still holds up. It ain't budging as my $100 benchmark.
  • CTM CT6E (new edition?): decently neutral. Not going to turn any heads in today's market.
  • InEar SD5: warm, "natural" signature similar (but not equivalent) to the UE18+ with a little added treble sparkle.
  • qdc Anole V3: bassy, forgiving and pretty good. I like the signature but the resolution can be a little lacking.
  • qdc Anole V6: more uppermid-centric compared to the V3 with the interesting mids-boost switch.
  • Acoustune HS1503: more treble, more texture, not for everyone.
  • Campfire Comet: meh. Worth the price, I guess.
  • Campfire Atlas: clearly inspired (or upgraded from) the Vega. A love-it-or-hate-it affair, I think it's way too bassy to be competent.
  • Hyla Nerva X: emotion vampire. Sucks out a lot of soul out of the music for some reason.
  • iBasso IT04: a good improvement over the IT03 but retains some of its weaknesses. Like the weird hollowness in the midrange.
  • JustEar Club Sound (custom forcefitted): veeeery pleasant to listen to. Timbre is just right.
  • Ultimate Ears UE6 Pro: better than the Live. A very capable "midrange" hybrid.
  • Warbler Prelude (custom forcefitted): good timbre reproduction. Horrible extension on both ends. Mediocre resolution. Too many compromises.
  • Advanced M51D: a little rolled off and ultimately average sounding.
  • Advanced M55D: painful to listen to. Geez, go easy on the high freqs.
  • Dita Fidelity: good technicalities, decently neutral tone, intensely V-shaped.
  • Dita Fealty: far more forgiving than the Fidelity, warmer and more "musical", for lack of a better term.
  • Empire Ears EVR: decently neutral, good detail. Not bad.
  • Empire Ears ESR: ssssssharp...
  • Empire Ears Bravdo: typical V-shaped hybrid signature, nothing much to say.
  • Empire Ears Vantage: a logical step down from the Legend X in my opinion.
  • Empire Ears Nemesis: really bright. Somewhat balanced by the thundering bass so I guess it's fine.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #580 of 3,338
Some stupidly short notes in no particular order because why not. I'll go in-depth once I'm back in Australia and have some time to type all my feelings out.
  • Campfire Atlas: clearly inspired (or upgraded from) the Vega. A love-it-or-hate-it affair, I think it's way too bassy to be competent.

My thoughts exactly

Jul 14, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #581 of 3,338
  • PEARS SH3: Wow, very impressive. I'd recommend these over the UERR as reference IEMs to be honest.
  • 64 Audio U18Tzar re-listen: not very impressive now. It's kind of has this "everything is okay" thing going on, but also nothing really special is sticking out. Not even its resolution.
  • 64 Audio Tia Trio re-listen: huh, the other demo unit sounds less wonky. I'd daresay now it's pretty much "right". Now I really think there's no reason to get a Fourte.
  • Lark Studio LSX: nothing stands out. It's a thing.
  • Sony EX1000: So goddamned picky and so critical of source files. Too intense for daily listening but it's extremely technical and competent.
  • Sony EX800/MDR-7550: the slightly bassier, warmer, more forgiving EX1000.
  • Symphonium Audio Mirage: mediocre.
  • Symphonium Audio Aurora: not bad. For the price it's a pretty great deal.
  • FiiO F3: very nice U-shaped dynamic sound. Gets my vote for a cheap pick.
  • FiiO F5: typical V-shaped dynamic sound.
  • JVC FW-01: soooo heavy, so dense, so rich.
  • HUM Pristine Reference (force fitted custom): sounds a lot different from the demo unit I tried ages ago. A lot more engaging, less congested and less dark sounding. Wouldn't drop MSRP cash on it still though.
  • JH Audio Billie Jean: it's... a thing. Nothing really stands out neither particularly bad or good.
  • Kinera IDUN: was expecting a lot of bad things considering the H3 and the SEED. Surprisingly, not bad. Pretty much what I expect for that asking price.
  • Stealthsonics U2: veeery V-shaped, rather sharp. Not for me.
  • Stealthsonics U4: A thing
  • Stealthsonics U9: kinda meh in timbre, edging on congestion at times. Good bass though.
  • Stealthsonics U9 JDM: fixes the congestion issue in the standard U9 and better at being natural. I like.
  • Advanced GT3: treble daggers into my ears. No.
  • RHA CL750: treble icepicks into my ears. Nooo.
  • RHA CL1: NOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • Unique Melody ME1: mushy, no definition, off timbre. This is not how to do an in-ear planar.
  • Kumitate KL-Sirius: pretty much the definition of "Japanese neutral". A very good IEM.
  • Kumitate KL-REF Type S: amazing bass. Horrible timbre. Apparently it was specifically tuned for one singer; I can see that.
  • Earsonics EM10: rather dead and oddly tuned. Actually, that kind of applies to the rest of Earsonics' lineup. The French have weird taste.
  • Lime Ears Model X: not bad. Well balanced and the two modes are decently different from one another, either as a "musical" or "reference" IEM.
  • ARC Pollux: might impressive for a single BA. Would recommend if a cheap custom is a necessary purchase.
  • VSonic (new) GR07: still holds up. It ain't budging as my $100 benchmark.
  • CTM CT6E (new edition?): decently neutral. Not going to turn any heads in today's market.
  • InEar SD5: warm, "natural" signature similar (but not equivalent) to the UE18+ with a little added treble sparkle.
  • qdc Anole V3: bassy, forgiving and pretty good. I like the signature but the resolution can be a little lacking.
  • qdc Anole V6: more uppermid-centric compared to the V3 with the interesting mids-boost switch.
  • Acoustune HS1503: more treble, more texture, not for everyone.
  • Campfire Comet: meh. Worth the price, I guess.
  • Hyla Nerva X: emotion vampire. Sucks out a lot of soul out of the music for some reason.
  • iBasso IT04: a good improvement over the IT03 but retains some of its weaknesses. Like the weird hollowness in the midrange.
  • JustEar Club Sound (custom forcefitted): veeeery pleasant to listen to. Timbre is just right.
  • Ultimate Ears UE6 Pro: better than the Live. A very capable "midrange" hybrid.
  • Warbler Prelude (custom forcefitted): good timbre reproduction. Horrible extension on both ends. Mediocre resolution. Too many compromises.
  • Advanced M51D: a little rolled off and ultimately average sounding.
  • Advanced M55D: painful to listen to. Geez, go easy on the high freqs.
  • Dita Fidelity: good technicalities, decently neutral tone, intensely V-shaped.
  • Dita Fealty: far more forgiving than the Fidelity, warmer and more "musical", for lack of a better term.
  • Empire Ears EVR: decently neutral, good detail. Not bad.
  • Empire Ears ESR: ssssssharp...
  • Empire Ears Bravdo: typical V-shaped hybrid signature, nothing much to say.
  • Empire Ears Vantage: a logical step down from the Legend X in my opinion.
  • Empire Ears Nemesis: really bright. Somewhat balanced by the thundering bass so I guess it's fine.
OMG i love those short, straight to the point no fuzz impressions, you are head hunting without taking hostages

Jul 14, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #582 of 3,338
Thank you! Would you please kindly re-listen to westone? Like w60 and w80

Jul 15, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #583 of 3,338
@crinacle

Any standouts on your list with a mid-centric signature and bone chilling vocals? (Male and female).

Jul 15, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #584 of 3,338
I'm really curious about the EE EVR. I read the impressions in the EE thread and it appeared like a homeless man's Zeus. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, considering many people think the Zeus is CIEM endgame, but yeah.

Jul 15, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #585 of 3,338
I'm really curious about the EE EVR. I read the impressions in the EE thread and it appeared like a homeless man's Zeus. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, considering many people think the Zeus is CIEM endgame, but yeah.

Homeless man’s Zeus lmao.

The Zeus is pretty incredible and if the EVR is even 60-70% of it, I would be amazed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back