crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Aug 12, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #16 of 3,338
I'm sure it will go back on sale at massdrop at some point. I could part with mine but I'd have to make it stock again. I closed on of the 2 back ports to give it more bass presence. Actually, if you want it, I could send it as is and it's easy enough to remove the clear nail polish I used. Would give you some perspective on it. I like it this way but never use it. Hobby purchase.

Aug 12, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #17 of 3,338
I'm sure it will go back on sale at massdrop at some point. I could part with mine but I'd have to make it stock again. I closed on of the 2 back ports to give it more bass presence. Actually, if you want it, I could send it as is and it's easy enough to remove the clear nail polish I used. Would give you some perspective on it. I like it this way but never use it. Hobby purchase.
I'll pm to you.

Sep 11, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #19 of 3,338
can you expand on why you find the AK 8TiE to be superior to Dita Dream or Spartan? thanks in advance!

The list is still a work in progress and I'm still shifting some stuff around (+ adding on details) before I call it "finished". In the case of the T8iE/Xelento vs the Dream, I had to dock major points for the Dream for its tonality. Sure it has clarity and detail, but it can get pretty shouty in the midrange and the treble has a metallic resonance that doesn't sit well with me. I'm sure people will disagree but that's my honest take on it.

The Spartan is a different case and while very very capable, I can't see it going any higher than A-. Also note that the diminishing returns hit the hardest at tier S/A so the differences are very nuanced.

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #20 of 3,338
Hi Crinacle, Big fan of your work here., i'm always referring to your graphs, and my ears always agree with your measurements. I know exactly what/where to look in them.
My two favourite IEMs are Ocharaku Keyaki Ti plus and ATH-CKR100 (Both of these i bought with confidence after looking at your measurements, and they were perfect for me!),
Where will you place them in your categories? Atleast A, i hope! Also very curious where you will rank the Sony MDR7550s and the ATH E70s? I own all of these, and this would help me decide my next IEM.
No pressure, take your time. I know you're a busy guy :-D
Many thanks, and keep up the good work!
I swear by your measurements :-D

Edit: Sorry, just noticed that you've put MDR 7550 and E70 in B+ and B respectively (very nice and like it) :)

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #21 of 3,338
Hi Crinacle, Big fan of your work here., i'm always referring to your graphs, and my ears always agree with your measurements. I know exactly what/where to look in them.
My two favourite IEMs are Ocharaku Keyaki Ti plus and ATH-CKR100 (Both of these i bought with confidence after looking at your measurements, and they were perfect for me!),
Where will you place them in your categories? Atleast A, i hope! Also very curious where you will rank the Sony MDR7550s and the ATH E70s? I own all of these, and this would help me decide my next IEM.
No pressure, take your time. I know you're a busy guy :-D
Many thanks, and keep up the good work!
I swear by your measurements :-D

Edit: Sorry, just noticed that you've put MDR 7550 and E70 in B+ and B respectively (very nice and like it) :)

Yeah just CTRL+F the page. A lot of IEMs to go through, I know :grin:

I'm glad you're making good use of my measurements! Just note that measurements are meant to explain your impressions, not dictate them. As for the Ocharakus/Audio Technicas, I don't think I'll be putting them in the rankings anytime soon as I haven't got enough ear time on them. The Ocharakus that I measured and listened to were Erei's and my impressions of them were pretty... meh. They are a very polarising and niche sound, the kind that gathers either intense love or intense hatred. I'd like to think I'm neither but to be honest I think I dislike them more than I like them. That said, if I got a good listening session in with them then I might consider attempting to grade them as objectively as I can. For now though, the Ocharakus (and Final Audios) will have to wait.

At any case like I said at the start, this list is just the opinion of one person on the internet (me). If you love your Ocharaku and your CKR100, that's really all that matters, isn't it? :smiley:

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #22 of 3,338
I am also a big fan of your measurements and ranking chart, it is seriously a great and helpful work for the new buyers like me,
My question is, have you heard/audition the LZ flagship the Big Dipper ,?
I have LZ A4 and no need to say i like it very much so now i am interested in the Big Dipper , wonder how you rank them and which grade they deserve in your opinion ,

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #23 of 3,338
Of course, my opinion is the most important thing to me:-D
But if you have an opinion on the same thing, then i can gauge the other IEMs in your different tiers better. Any data is useful.
I'll leave the Ocharaku aside., as you said, it's a very niche sound indeed which demands a love/hate relationship.

But do you think the CKR100 is as atleast as good as the E70s ?
To me, they sound a bit better (specially vocal layers), maybe the E70 has very slightly more details in the upper frequency (but they are slightly sibilant in that range as well).

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #24 of 3,338
Just wanted to say thanks to @crinacle for these resources. It was thanks to you that I got turned on to the Campfire Audio Andromeda and I have to say after only a week, I'm truly blown away by it. Best investment I've made in IEM's so far. Though this is starting to open up the door to Customs. Dangerous...

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #25 of 3,338
SHE3595 is god tier and you know it.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but that thing is ridiculous value for money. It's what, like 10USD? And it puts a lot of high end IEMS to shame. Suggestion: get the 3590 without microphone. Due to not sharing the ground lead with the microphone, separation will be better.

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #26 of 3,338
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but that thing is ridiculous value for money. It's what, like 10USD? And it puts a lot of high end IEMS to shame. Suggestion: get the 3590 without microphone. Due to not sharing the ground lead with the microphone, separation will be better.

Yeah I was being sarcastic. Kinda. Those are actually my exact 3595's that Crin measured. I showed him the true glory of what $14 at Woolies can get you. They are a genuinely good IEM for the price tho. I'd take them over pretty much any KZ IEM other than maybe the ED9.

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #27 of 3,338
Wow, utterly brutal ranking on the Earsonics SM3, but generally speaking I would agree with your list and the 15-20 or so IEMs from it I've personally heard.

Sep 14, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #28 of 3,338
Of course, my opinion is the most important thing to me:-D
But if you have an opinion on the same thing, then i can gauge the other IEMs in your different tiers better. Any data is useful.
I'll leave the Ocharaku aside., as you said, it's a very niche sound indeed which demands a love/hate relationship.

But do you think the CKR100 is as atleast as good as the E70s ?
To me, they sound a bit better (specially vocal layers), maybe the E70 has very slightly more details in the upper frequency (but they are slightly sibilant in that range as well).

I don't have the two for comparison and it's been a long time since I tried the CKR100. The E70 is one of my favourite Audio Technica IEMs, though.

Wow, utterly brutal ranking on the Earsonics SM3, but generally speaking I would agree with your list and the 15-20 or so IEMs from it I've personally heard.

The SM3 is probably a little too low, I think. I'll be doing a reshuffle soon, particular for tiers D, E and F.

Sep 15, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #29 of 3,338
I don't have the two for comparison and it's been a long time since I tried the CKR100. The E70 is one of my favourite Audio Technica IEMs, though.
Nevermind this, I compared the two side by side, and the E70 actually is quite better than the CKR100s. CKR100s are more coloured and "musical" sounding, and i don't see them making it into your Tier B. I guess, when you check them out, you would put them in C. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back