crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Oct 6, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #48 of 3,338
Have you heard the Hidition Vento? I know there's a lot more to overall sound character but it looks amazing in your graph. I guess it would depend on how one feels about the mid bump but I tend to find a smooth bump like that favorable. The extension on top and even character in general along with a lift towards the sub bass looks spot on.

Yeah it's on the list, actually. I love it.

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #50 of 3,338
Hi Crinicle, have you had the chance to audition Empire Athena VIII? Wonder where it lands in the grading.

Based on your list, I spent the last couple of months auditioning those from S to B+, and gotten my shortlisted favorites comprises of UE18+pro, Samba, W900, Xelento and Athena (though this wasn't in your list). I am having a hard time deciding which to purchase even though I had listened to them over numerous sessions. If only fund is no showstopper I would have bought them all. Well ain't that the dream of many here. Lol...

Oct 11, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #51 of 3,338
Hi Crinicle, have you had the chance to audition Empire Athena VIII? Wonder where it lands in the grading.

Based on your list, I spent the last couple of months auditioning those from S to B+, and gotten my shortlisted favorites comprises of UE18+pro, Samba, W900, Xelento and Athena (though this wasn't in your list). I am having a hard time deciding which to purchase even though I had listened to them over numerous sessions. If only fund is no showstopper I would have bought them all. Well ain't that the dream of many here. Lol...

Interesting choices. If you don't mind can you add one line about what you like in each of them especially ue18+pro, xelento and w900.

Oct 12, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #52 of 3,338
Interesting choices. If you don't mind can you add one line about what you like in each of them especially ue18+pro, xelento and w900.

Sure, here are some quick notes I've taken during the auditions. What I like about these IEMs:

UE18+pro => Silky smooth mids, rich and musical. Neutral sound signature with warm tone. Excellent coherency. After the last 4 days of hectic trips between different stores over the country which carries the different models, I decided to drop Empire Athena which is another mid centric IEM in favor of UE18+pro. This has now moved on from my shortlist to to-buy list. lol...

Samba => Detail, resolution, imaging, separation and layering are top notch. That clean sound with these qualities upgraded it onto my to-buy list.

Xelento => Its the king of dd. That satisfying and addictive thumping and rumbling bass and sub bass are what I love about this universal IEM. Soundstage, separation, detail and resolution are equally top notch. As it is V shape, female vocal is outstanding too. Though male vocals are somewhat more distance and laid back, which is what I felt lacking. But nonetheless with UE18+pro complementing it, this is going onto my to-buy list.

W900 => Dropping it in favor of the other three. Used to like it for its huge sound stage and natural sound, easy to listen to for hours on end without feeling fatiguing. But since I'll be getting the other 3 which are better in those various aspects I listed above, had to let this go.

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #53 of 3,338
Sure, here are some quick notes I've taken during the auditions. What I like about these IEMs:

UE18+pro => Silky smooth mids, rich and musical. Neutral sound signature with warm tone. Excellent coherency. After the last 4 days of hectic trips between different stores over the country which carries the different models, I decided to drop Empire Athena which is another mid centric IEM in favor of UE18+pro. This has now moved on from my shortlist to to-buy list. lol...

Samba => Detail, resolution, imaging, separation and layering are top notch. That clean sound with these qualities upgraded it onto my to-buy list.

Xelento => Its the king of dd. That satisfying and addictive thumping and rumbling bass and sub bass are what I love about this universal IEM. Soundstage, separation, detail and resolution are equally top notch. As it is V shape, female vocal is outstanding too. Though male vocals are somewhat more distance and laid back, which is what I felt lacking. But nonetheless with UE18+pro complementing it, this is going onto my to-buy list.

W900 => Dropping it in favor of the other three. Used to like it for its huge sound stage and natural sound, easy to listen to for hours on end without feeling fatiguing. But since I'll be getting the other 3 which are better in those various aspects I listed above, had to let this go.

Nice impressions. Don't forget to share what you eventually buy in the end. Personally i prefer xelento because it's universal which i consider a plus for portable purposes.

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #54 of 3,338
Nice impressions. Don't forget to share what you eventually buy in the end. Personally i prefer xelento because it's universal which i consider a plus for portable purposes.

Oh yes, totally agree the fact that it is universal and the way its tips and bore are shaped made it the most comfortable IEM I have tested in the entire range. On my 4th listening session, I went 2 hours straight just to test how comfy it is (I am very prone to pneumatic pressure and ear fatigue), and it didn't let me down at all.

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #55 of 3,338

Nice impressions , nice work .

Oct 14, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #56 of 3,338
Kinera H3
Phase issues. Lacks coherency in the bass-mid crossover. It's not unlistenable so it escapes the F tier, at least.

Grade: E

Periodic Audio Mg
Bassy and warm yet very clean sounding. Very good timbre. Honestly wasn't expecting a lot from Periodic's entry offering, but I'm pleasantly surprised.

Grade: C

Periodic Audio Ti
Sounds weird. Very closed in yet out of phase at the same time. Not sure what's going on since it's basically the black sheep of the trifecta.

Grade: D

Periodic Audio Be
The most balanced of the three but still retaining that V-shaped signature. Slightly warm, meaty notes but remaining clear.

Grade: B

VSonic GR07X
Essentially a GR08, the in-between of the GR07 and GR09. Clear, detailed, clean. Jack of all trades.

Grade: B+

Oct 14, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #57 of 3,338
VSonic GR07X
Essentially a GR08, the in-between of the GR07 and GR09. Clear, detailed, clean. Jack of all trades.

Grade: B+

Interesting remeasure. You told me they were slightly bright and I couldn't understand why. Now I see it. Glad I've ordered the gr07AE (basically a gr09).

Oct 15, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #58 of 3,338
Thanks for this...very helpful.

Would you mind sparing a few words about Hidition Viento-Reference vs UE18+ pro? They seem to fill similar niches based on your descriptions, reference with an emphasis on natural timbre.

I also find it interesting that you rated ES60 above UERR...when I demoed the two earphones, ES60 sounded far too warm and muffled to sound natural compared to the UERR.

Oct 15, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #59 of 3,338
@crinacle
Making something like this requires a lot of patience, dedication and most importantly passion. Well done :)!

A few suggestions that provide further insight into your reference point:
  • Where possible - add the source chain used for the evaluation of each iem.
  • Add a list of tracks you usually use when evaluating iem.
:beerchug:
M.

Oct 15, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #60 of 3,338

Appreciate your insight; though for me the king of DD is split between Rhaspodio galaxy v2/v3 and Campfire Vega. T8iE/ Xelento's technicalities fall behind in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back