crinacle's IEM FR measurement database
Jun 14, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #841 of 1,335
Greetings from Singapore, I'm back! Just had a quick tour around some shops and got a huge amount of data, so prepare for a huge dump maybe tomorrow.

Just some reminders, in preparation for any future controversy or questions:
  • The new measurements are based on the IEC60318-4 standard. They are raw and not compensated to any target curve.
  • The "jaggedness" in the bass frequencies is due to a low-resolution correction of roll-off by the software. I have been trying to resolve this the past few weeks but I haven't reached a good solution yet, so just live with it. It's not that big an issue.
  • Universal IEM measurements are taken at ~3mm from the reference plane. This results in an inherent 8k-ish resonance spike in all measurements that may or may not be ignored depending on your interpretation of the measurements.
  • Custom IEM measurements are taken at the reference plane sealed with acoustic putty (I use blutack) which is consistent with standard procedure. The resonance point for these cases are closer to 9k-10k.
  • Anyone who misinterprets the results of my measurements are not my responsibility. Vice versa applies. My analyses are mine alone as much as others' are theirs. They do not speak for me.
Secondly, I'll be in Zeppelin & Co. on Tuesday, 12th June. Anyone who's interested in having their exotic IEMs measured just drop by, say hi and let me have a go. Always a delight to play with some rare and unique gear.

Wow, that’s great!

By any chance, would you be able to test the EX1000? So far I’m very happy with how they sound and I’m not gettnot my any of the high peaks in the treble region people talk about. They sounds quite balanced! I’m inserting them deep in the ear canal, so that might be why.

Jun 14, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #842 of 1,335
Wow, that’s great!

By any chance, would you be able to test the EX1000? So far I’m very happy with how they sound and I’m not gettnot my any of the high peaks in the treble region people talk about. They sounds quite balanced! I’m inserting them deep in the ear canal, so that might be why.

Unfortunately, it's discontinued so the only way I'll be able to is if someone lends me their pair.

Jun 14, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #843 of 1,335

Nice new compilation @crinacle! How does the EDC3 compare to other budget "detailed/audiophile" stuff like the B400, T20, IT01?

Also what new KZ do you think is close to the ZS3 (less bass is alright)? I noticed many KZs have very uneven FRs.

I have a beater Pinnacle PX as a daily and am looking for a multi BA/good DD to mix things up.

Jun 14, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #844 of 1,335
Nice new compilation @crinacle! How does the EDC3 compare to other budget "detailed/audiophile" stuff like the B400, T20, IT01?

Also what new KZ do you think is close to the ZS3 (less bass is alright)? I noticed many KZs have very uneven FRs.

I have a beater Pinnacle PX as a daily and am looking for a multi BA/good DD to mix things up.

I've talked about the EDC3 back in my ranking thread. Wasn't too bad a fan of it and didn't really impress me on a technical level either, except maybe on the tuning front.

I've measured the KZs but haven't tried them extensively since my priority is to build up the measurements database before I get back to building up the ranking list. Based off whatever short listening time I had with them, I hated the ZS5s, couldn't care less about the rest and was surprisingly impressed with the ZSR.

Jun 14, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #845 of 1,335

I have nearly all the KZs and I tried to get a rough sweep of the "quality available" and sometimes it's quite hit and miss but otherwise, the ZS3 is awful.

ZS5v2 was bloody awful, ZSR was the best of the bunch and wasn't a unicorn. Given the measurements and how it stands up sonically wise, there's no way the ZSR can be topped in their lineup

Jun 14, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #846 of 1,335
First post table has been updated with all the recent data.
This list seems to be more and more complete! Amazing job!

U18 Tzar measurement is with M15 or M20 module?
Went through almost all and concluded that measurement-wise are very identical these three:
Vision Ears VE8 / Prophile-8 with bass ON / Kumitate Lab KL-REF Maximum bass :smile_phones:

Jun 14, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #847 of 1,335
This list seems to be more and more complete! Amazing job!

U18 Tzar measurement is with M15 or M20 module?
Went through almost all and concluded that measurement-wise are very identical these three:
Vision Ears VE8 / Prophile-8 with bass ON / Kumitate Lab KL-REF Maximum bass :smile_phones:

I believe you're referring to the old measurements on the old setup? That U18Tzar measurement should be on the M20 module.

Jun 14, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #848 of 1,335
I believe you're referring to the old measurements on the old setup? That U18Tzar measurement should be on the M20 module.
Sure, old measurements. Thanks !

Jun 14, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #849 of 1,335
I've talked about the EDC3 back in my ranking thread. Wasn't too bad a fan of it and didn't really impress me on a technical level either, except maybe on the tuning front.

I've measured the KZs but haven't tried them extensively since my priority is to build up the measurements database before I get back to building up the ranking list. Based off whatever short listening time I had with them, I hated the ZS5s, couldn't care less about the rest and was surprisingly impressed with the ZSR.

Thanks @crinacle! All the best for building up that amazing list :)

I have nearly all the KZs and I tried to get a rough sweep of the "quality available" and sometimes it's quite hit and miss but otherwise, the ZS3 is awful.

ZS5v2 was bloody awful, ZSR was the best of the bunch and wasn't a unicorn. Given the measurements and how it stands up sonically wise, there's no way the ZSR can be topped in their lineup

Thanks for sharing! Funnily the ZS3 has been the most resolving/coherent KZ I heard among the ATR/ATE/ZST but maybe that's personal taste. I usually don't listen to something as v-shaped but it kind of worked for me without too much bass bloat.

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #852 of 1,335
Wow, N5005 has a very clean bass boost without bleeding into the mid range (not talking about filter, just the overall shape). Nice! @crinacle do you like them?

I absolutely loved the bass presentation but the rest of the frequency range sounded a little off and artificial. Initial thought was that it was just a one-trick pony.

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #854 of 1,335
appreciated as always, impressions/thoughts on Vantage, Inear SD5 and EX1000? thx

Not a lot of ear time on those so nothing too in-depth. Vantage was eh, a good listen but not exactly a top-tier hybrid. SD5 sounded very nice with excellent timbre and tonal balance. EX1000 also impressed me a lot; neutral DD sound, stellar resolution and almost reminded me of a raw HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back