crinacle's IEM FR measurement database
Sep 7, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #436 of 1,335
Level matching isn't hard; FREQUENCY response matching is much more difficult...
From the photo I attached it looks like the JBL LSR30X is level matched within a frequency range, in this case it's 50hZ-12.5kHz. Quite a decent effort I suppose.

JBL.jpg

Sep 7, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #437 of 1,335
it is within a given range(the graph shows 50hz to 12khz). also matching a pair does not necessarily mean buying a second pair will measure the same within 1dB. maybe it will and they just have that level of consistency? I really don't know, but that's not the claim.
headphones/IEMs matched for +/-1dB(so 2dB^_^) can show sample variations bigger than 2dB. and not all manufacturers put the same efforts into this. some will just put the first 2 drivers they grab together and move on.
From my observation, level matching of less than 1dB from 50hZ to 12kHz is quite a remarkable effort at the asking price of $279.99 a pair.

Sep 7, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #438 of 1,335
When you are JBL you have enough money to do what you want...

Of course nowadays it's all about the production line and the strategy they use to make a product at a certain price bracket.Being as a big as JBL has its advantages. The amount they spend on perfect matching and QC can be less than for others companies as they have the expertise and economy of scale.

Thanks for sharing the JBL video ForceMajeure. That sure brings back good memories of the flower power days :ksc75smile:

Sep 7, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #439 of 1,335
The Tenore is a V-shaped IEM, no doubt. But it's actually quite a tastefully done V. Nothing like the typical curves prevalent in budget chifi.
My ears seem to relate better to the diffused field target graph just like the graph below taken from Speakerphone's blog. Further below is his uncompensated graph which pretty much resemble your graph:
Zero Audio Carbo Tenore ZH-DX200 - df.png

Zero Audio Carbo Tenore ZH-DX200 - raw.png

Sep 9, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #440 of 1,335
Being in the spirit of free information, I'll be including @malvinviriya's measurements into the first post as well, just as I did with @nmatheis but highlighted in green. While they are done on separate microphones and by separate people, they should be comparable to mine to a reasonable degree based on my analysis of measurements performed with the same exact earphone. The new entries are as follows:

A-Jays 3
Audio Technica ATH-CKB50
Avara AV1
Avara AV2
Avara AV3

Campfire Polaris
FiiO F3
FiiO F9
Intime Sora
KZ ZS5
Radius HP-HHR11R
Sennheiser CX 3.00
Warbler Prelude

Sep 9, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #441 of 1,335
Being in the spirit of free information, I'll be including @malvinviriya's measurements into the first post as well, just as I did with @nmatheis but highlighted in green. While they are done on separate microphones and by separate people, they should be comparable to mine to a reasonable degree based on my analysis of measurements performed with the same exact earphone. The new entries are as follows:

A-Jays 3
Audio Technica ATH-CKB50
Avara AV1
Avara AV2
Avara AV3

Campfire Polaris
FiiO F3
FiiO F9
Intime Sora
KZ ZS5
Radius HP-HHR11R
Sennheiser CX 3.00
Warbler Prelude
The Sennheiser CX3.00 graph looks pretty flat, quite a departure from their previous models. The FiiO F3 graph looks very good too, in fact it looks far more even across the frequency spectrum than the more expensive F9 hybrid IEM. Please share your thoughts.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #443 of 1,335
The Sennheiser CX3.00 graph looks pretty flat, quite a departure from their previous models. The FiiO F3 graph looks very good too, in fact it looks far more even across the frequency spectrum than the more expensive F9 hybrid IEM. Please share your thoughts.

The CX3.00 is tonally quite good. I quite liked the fact that they managed to tune an IEM to be quite linear. I find the IEM to be tonally quite neutral, actually. It has decent extension on both ends so you get a good amount of bass, and a decent treble extension as well. There's an issue, however. The IEM sounds a little bit on the grainier side. The CX5.00 sort of fixes this, but the problem is that it's quite a bit more expensive than the CX3.00.

As for the Fiio F3, I recently posted a review on Reddit. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to copy and paste all of these here (or provide a link too, for that matter). So, let me just summarize here. The Fiio F3 is a really decent, polite sounding all-rounder IEM for its price (39 SGD). It's got a good amount of bass that can satisfy a lot of people. Although it bleeds slightly to the mids, it doesn't affect the quality of the vocals all that much. In fact, I find that these are actually more controlled than the Fiio F5 in terms of sound. The treble is polite although if you're sensitive to 6-7k peak it might come off as sibilant, only ever so slightly.

Lastly, I wanna say that I appreciate @crinacle for posting my measurements on this thread as well. I've actually been a long time lurker here and around Head-fi, even going so far as to make my own account here, just that I'm never really commented on anything. I suppose this will also be my first foray into more serious reviews in the future.

Cheers!

Sep 9, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #444 of 1,335
The CX3.00 is tonally quite good. I quite liked the fact that they managed to tune an IEM to be quite linear. I find the IEM to be tonally quite neutral, actually. It has decent extension on both ends so you get a good amount of bass, and a decent treble extension as well. There's an issue, however. The IEM sounds a little bit on the grainier side. The CX5.00 sort of fixes this, but the problem is that it's quite a bit more expensive than the CX3.00.

As for the Fiio F3, I recently posted a review on Reddit. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to copy and paste all of these here (or provide a link too, for that matter). So, let me just summarize here. The Fiio F3 is a really decent, polite sounding all-rounder IEM for its price (39 SGD). It's got a good amount of bass that can satisfy a lot of people. Although it bleeds slightly to the mids, it doesn't affect the quality of the vocals all that much. In fact, I find that these are actually more controlled than the Fiio F5 in terms of sound. The treble is polite although if you're sensitive to 6-7k peak it might come off as sibilant, only ever so slightly.

Lastly, I wanna say that I appreciate @crinacle for posting my measurements on this thread as well. I've actually been a long time lurker here and around Head-fi, even going so far as to make my own account here, just that I'm never really commented on anything. I suppose this will also be my first foray into more serious reviews in the future.

Cheers!
Thanks to you and Crinacle for contributing the frequency graphs that help many like me to make informed decisions for our IEM purchase. I'm in favor of the FiiO F3 with graphene drivers except for the slight bleeding of the lower frequencies into the mids as you've pointed out. Having said that, I won't expect miracles at the asking price as long as the sound is nicely balanced with good extension at the bottom and top frequencies because I love micro details and a good sound stage with realistic depth. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #445 of 1,335
Thanks to you and Crinacle for contributing the frequency graphs that helps many like me to make informed decisions for our purchase of IEMs. I'm in favor of the FiiO F3 with graphene drivers except for the slight bleeding of the lower frequencies into the mids as you've pointed out. Having said that, I won't expect miracles at the asking price as long as the sound is nicely balanced with good extension at the bottom and top frequencies because I love micro details and a good sound stage with realistic depth. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

No problem! Glad to be of help

Sep 10, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #448 of 1,335
I'm personally tempted to try those as well as measure it. But, so far I haven't found it in Singapore yet. If it ever makes its way here, I'll make sure I find it and measure it for you folks!
If it's not too much to ask, I'd humbly request for the graph of the new KZ ES3 and the soon to be released ZS6. Thanks in advance.

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #450 of 1,335
If it's not too much to ask, I'd humbly request for the graph of the new KZ ES3 and the soon to be released ZS6. Thanks in advance.
ordered both, es3 should arrive soon, zs6 will take longer. when they arrive, my rig will be probably ready to measure them (already tuning it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back