CRIMMINAL Jazz Grammy "slight"
Feb 19, 2016 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
Last year jazz drummer Antonio Sanchez got disregarded on his “Birdman” soundtrack release winning nothing .  A release which was dramatically acclaimed by virtually all musicians in jazz who figured it was a hands-down win but apparently the media and voters (whatever credentials THEY have) don’t think deep enough to understand good soundtrack music.

Fast forward a year later.  Here we go again.  Sanchez “Meridian Suite” didn’t even receive a nomination!  I certainly don’t listen to everything out there but most of it in some facet.  Nothing against Christian McBride (great acclaimed jazz bass player- future legend)  but for HIM to get the nod over Sanchez is literally criminal.  McBride's  release is “same old same old” whereas “Meridian Suite” is a once every 5 years type of release.  Nothing out there like it….  Incredibly original and arguably the best jazz drumming release in maybe a decade or more.  It’s a clinic in drumming yet the 65 minute suite portrays a story of a masterpiece but STILL provides plenty of space to his bandmates. Such a difficult thing to do.    It’s a shame.  Can’t say I am surprised.  The Grammys are mostly about popularity but one would think that the greatest drummer in the world would start getting his props ESPECIALLY since he now, ALSO become such an accomplished composer as well.

I love Christian McBride.  But for Sanchez to not even receive a nomination is criminal.  Meridian Suite is sensational.

Feb 20, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #3 of 5
Why does anyone care about any award ceremonies? Circle jerks, the lot of 'em. If you take absolutely no interest then someone's overlooked nomination won't bother you. Just listen to Sanchez and to hell with the Grammy's! Less time watching award ceremonies = more time for listening to music.

Feb 20, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #4 of 5
Why does anyone care about any award ceremonies? Circle jerks, the lot of 'em. If you take absolutely no interest then someone's overlooked nomination won't bother you. Just listen to Sanchez and to hell with the Grammy's! Less time watching award ceremonies = more time for listening to music.

This. I don't need the top 40 to tell what's good music. I do my search and rely on good critics to point towards the right direction.

That said, I remember Sanchez doing fine stuff with Ari Hoenig. Now thanks to you, I'll be doing more browsing on Sanchez's works! :)

Feb 25, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 5

Absolutely correct.

As a life long jazz fan with over 40 years of serious jazz listening I long ago dismissed the Grammys since their knowledge of jazz is almost zero.

As for over looked how about Kamasi Washington's "The Epic" for something/anything in the jazz category?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back