Creek OBH-11
Nov 27, 2002 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Pace

100+ Head-Fier
I know there has been quite a bit discussion about this amplifier, and I've read most of them, but I wan't to be sure that I know what I'm getting.

This amp is about the only amp I can find sold here in Finland. I found a price, 179 euros, which I think is quite reasonable when comparing to the price of headroom for example. It includes the OBH-2 powersupply, and here's the question: Is OBH-2 the better powersupply or the worse one?

Nov 27, 2002 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Pace
I know there has been quite a bit discussion about this amplifier, and I've read most of them, but I wan't to be sure that I know what I'm getting.

This amp is about the only amp I can find sold here in Finland. I found a price, 179 euros, which I think is quite reasonable when comparing to the price of headroom for example. It includes the OBH-2 powersupply, and here's the question: Is OBH-2 the better powersupply or the worse one?

The OBH-2 is the "better" power supply which is "regulated". The OBH-1 which usually comes with the OBH-11 is the "unregulated" power supply.

Nov 28, 2002 at 6:34 PM Post #3 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Magic77
The OBH-2 is the "better" power supply which is "regulated". The OBH-1 which usually comes with the OBH-11 is the "unregulated" power supply.

Thanks for clearing that up... I might even buy that amp as the price is actually quite low for a new OBH-11 with OBH-2 powersupply.

Nov 28, 2002 at 7:09 PM Post #4 of 42
The OBH-11 sells for about $200 here, with an additional $70-100 for the regulated wall wart. Your price of 170 Euro sounds like a really sweet deal!! While it does have its flaws, it is a really enjoyable amp. I owned one for two years and enjoyed it immensely!!!!

Nov 29, 2002 at 12:24 PM Post #5 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
The OBH-11 sells for about $200 here, with an additional $70-100 for the regulated wall wart. Your price of 170 Euro sounds like a really sweet deal!! While it does have its flaws, it is a really enjoyable amp. I owned one for two years and enjoyed it immensely!!!!

Now the only problem is where I'm gonna get the cash!
tongue.gif

My wallet took a really bad hit when I got the Sennheisers and I don't think its gonna survive another hit like that.
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2002 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 42
I hear ya about that wallet thing!! But... I have always found it best to nail it again while it is still numb from the last purchase!! Lessens the blow that way!!!
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2002 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 42
i bought the OBH-11 and both OBH-1 AND OBH-2 for 170 Euros in Athens.My wallet took a deep breath
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2002 at 11:36 PM Post #9 of 42
Apologies for that last post. The creek is a super little amp which doesn't suffer from the valve dependancy of many other amps.

It sounds good, sod the specs.......

Don't worry too much about the SE power upgrade though... the difference it makes, if any, is purely placebo.

All the best

Pinkie

Nov 30, 2002 at 2:02 AM Post #10 of 42
Hi Pinkie!
smily_headphones1.gif

The Creek sounds good!? I thought you hated it! Did you manage to solder in those caps you ordered? I am contemplating buying the Creek myself, as it would be an economical alternative. A similarly priced option here in the Brazilian market is the REGA EAR, though I hear there's an annoying backorder delay to get those. There are no X-CANS avaliable here in Brazil. I'd really like to know what the REGA EAR looks inside, what kind of components are in there and all...

Cheers,
Alex Altorfer

Nov 30, 2002 at 2:02 AM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Now the only problem is where I'm gonna get the cash!
tongue.gif

Sounds like a problem many people here suffer from: cashlackeitus!! It's also contageous, so new member can catch the disease just from reading a couple of thread.

And if they come up with a vaccination for it, I would refuse it!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2002 at 1:16 PM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
You'll be happy with the Creek (for about 2 days) save up for something that sounds good to your ears.

Pinkie

I've always thought that no matter what you buy that conserns headphones or headphone related equipment, you'll be happy for about two days and then start drooling for something better and WAY more expensive.
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2002 at 1:20 PM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Sounds like a problem many people here suffer from: cashlackeitus!! It's also contageous, so new member can catch the disease just from reading a couple of thread.

And if they come up with a vaccination for it, I would refuse it!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

They already have a drug that helps momentarely... Many companies have come up with their own brands, such as Visa, Mastercard, Diners Club.
biggrin.gif

But those are like alcohol; might help for the moment, but next day you'll wake up into even more problems.
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2002 at 3:02 AM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

They already have a drug that helps momentarely... Many companies have come up with their own brands, such as Visa, Mastercard, Diners Club.
biggrin.gif

A legal drug which is given out at interest??? What a concept....

Dec 1, 2002 at 11:16 PM Post #15 of 42
Hi Alex,

I actually contacted the guy who was ordering the ELNA's from the USA and cancelled them and instead ordered ELNA Silmic capacitors for the X-Can.

They will take weeks to arrive but when they do I'll stuff them in and see what happens. I've got the Creek for sale in Scottish supermart so hopefully will get some of my money back.

At the moment I'm preoccupied with throwing money away on "tweaks" for the X-Cans. I've already tried 2 transformers and have now ordered a 3rd one.... at this rate I'd be cheaper just buying an x-PSU!

I'm slowly reaching the conclusion that there is no tweak that will offer a "Drastic improvement"... more of a slight change to the sound so am trying to wean myself off ordering transformers. I'll end up with about 25 power supplies at this rate which is crazy!

Pinkie

Quote:

Originally posted by Alex Altorfer
Hi Pinkie!
smily_headphones1.gif

The Creek sounds good!? I thought you hated it! Did you manage to solder in those caps you ordered? I am contemplating buying the Creek myself, as it would be an economical alternative. A similarly priced option here in the Brazilian market is the REGA EAR, though I hear there's an annoying backorder delay to get those. There are no X-CANS avaliable here in Brazil. I'd really like to know what the REGA EAR looks inside, what kind of components are in there and all...

Cheers,
Alex Altorfer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back