Creek OBH-11 w/OBH-2 vs. OBH-11SE
May 4, 2002 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jpelg

Needs a regular fix of 'Fi
'06 Nat Meet Co-Coordinator
Please forgive me if this specific question has been asked and answered before. Is the power supply on the OBH-11SE basically the OBH-2? Is the power supply the main difference between the OBH-11 and the OBH-11SE (other than the extra headphone jack)?

Costs -

OBH-11 $199 + OBH-2 $100 = $299

vs.

OBH-11SE $359

What's the diff (besides $60)?

May 4, 2002 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 6
I think that the OBH-2 power supply is the same as the one that comes with the SE, but I believe that ther are upgraded electronics in the SE as well. I kow it's been discussed before, and I think that it was said that the upgraded power supply made the 11 very close to the 11SE

May 4, 2002 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 6
As I understand it the OBH 2 is the same power supply as the one that comew with the OBH 11 SE. FWIW I bought an OBH 11 with the OBH 2 upgraded power supply. In back to back testing I could hear no difference between the OBH 2 power supply and the stock one that comes with OBH 11, so I returned the OBH 2 and am very satisfied using the standard power supply. Cans I used in my comparison were HD580s, Beyer DT931s and Grado SR80s. The SR80s and DT931s seem to have a particularly good synergy with the Creek. I think this probably because the SR80s and DT931s are a bit on bright side and the Creek seems to be a bit on the warm side.

Regards, Nick

May 5, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 6
Yes, the OBH-11SE comes with exactly the OBH-2 power supply. Yes, that is probably the biggest difference, but as has been mentioned in other threads, there are other differences. The OBH-11SE is completely redesigned. (I forget the terminology, OTL JFET's or something like that.) They may sound similar. Very similar even. That's because they are made by the same company, and are in the same family. But, to my ears, the OBH-11, even with the OBH-2, is just a wee bit grainy and therefore below the limits of "tolerable" (again, to my ears -- I'm very particular) -- I sold mine. However, I will be keeping at least one of my OBH-11SE's. It's a great backup amp.

May 5, 2002 at 11:47 AM Post #6 of 6
thanks for the input everyone - much appreciated (facts AND opinions).

DustyChalk - wow I wonder if I will ever get to the point where I have a "backup" amp! thanks for the discriminating opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back