Creek OBH-11 + HD600 a good combination?
Sep 30, 2002 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

HappymaN

500+ Head-Fier
I'm very keen on getting pair of HD600's. Would the Creek do them justice? I would prefer these headphones over any others, as I can forsee myself being able to upgrade my source and amplification in a few years time. So I don't really want to waste money buying different headphones along the way.

I can't use my Etymotics as much as I want to - the isolation is too much, and I'm starting to annoy my family with my lack of reaction to the phone, or my name being called out...

Feasible combination?

Sep 30, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #2 of 20
I used to use the OBH-11/OBH-2 with my HD600s. I think you will like the combo. It is not the end all, but it does sound pretty doggone good.

Sep 30, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #3 of 20
I thought the HD600 sounded weak and thin with the standard Creek OBH-11. With the OBH-11SE, maybe it would be adequately powered and raise my rating of it to "just sucks" but I haven't heard the SE so I wouldn't know.

Sep 30, 2002 at 5:21 AM Post #4 of 20
Wow Kelly, simultaneous posts. Although the two responses were completely opposite, there must be some kind of karma happenin here.
smily_headphones1.gif

HappymaN, keep in mind that Kelly is not well.
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2002 at 5:26 AM Post #5 of 20
The funny part is that JMT sells at least one amp that completely destroys the Creek, probably more.

Sep 30, 2002 at 9:41 AM Post #7 of 20
I'm using the Creek w/SE power supply with the HD600's. I think tey very, good together. People have said the Creek was a little "grainy". I think the Creek brightens up the HD600's a little. You can find a Creek at good used prices. I would get the SE power supply.

Oct 2, 2002 at 6:37 AM Post #8 of 20
I'm thinking META42 now, with all these persuasive hints I'm getting in this thread.

Is there such thing as a META42 with a "built-in" high quality power supply, into which I just plug a power cord? I'm disappointed with the quality of the power supplies which are available near me, they are too noisy.

Sad thing is, I will no doubt have to sell my Ety's/CMOY combination to raise the funds for the HD600/META42 combination. Decisions, decisions, decisions. Maybe I should just pick up a pair of KSC-35's for open use, and keep the Ety's.

frown.gif

Etymotics: Sound so good, but are such a hassle to use!!!

Oct 2, 2002 at 7:39 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by HappymaN
Is there such thing as a META42 with a "built-in" high quality power supply, into which I just plug a power cord? I'm disappointed with the quality of the power supplies which are available near me, they are too noisy.

I think tangent, JMT or eric343 could help you out with that. Just PM.

Oct 2, 2002 at 2:47 PM Post #10 of 20
I got the 580's with the Creek headphone amp. I like the combo quite a bit. It's probably the best bang for the buck out there (of the commercially produced amps).

You may want to listen to it prior to making a decision. Find a store that carries it and sample it using your phones.

Oct 2, 2002 at 8:12 PM Post #11 of 20
I would be VERY interested in the sort of thing Happyman is looking for...

Something like this: A homemade (read: CHEAPER!!) version of the Cosmic/Base Station One concept...

Using the Meta42 and a seperate power supply...
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Like, something that you can take with you and use on an airplane to power some DT770 Pro 250 ohm, or something you can use at home with a power supply to power some modified DT931's...

I'm trying to sell some headphones and consolidate a system, hehehe...

Oct 2, 2002 at 8:51 PM Post #13 of 20
Antness is building an amp based on the Kevin Gilmore design. He's using a very massive power supply in a separate enclosure. It looks very impressive, but it's not cheap and looks don't guarantee good sound.

This is the inherent problem with purchasing DIY amps. There is really no way to preview it, unless you know someone who has one, and if you don't like it, there's no returning it.

Oct 2, 2002 at 9:14 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Is there such thing as a META42 with a "built-in" high quality power supply, into which I just plug a power cord?

The META42 board requires DC power, so the simplest thing is to use a good-quality wall wart to convert AC wall power to DC and run that to the META42 board. Because that's the simplest thing, that's how most wall-powered META42s are set up. It's not the only option, though.

Probably the next-simplest alternative would be to get an "open frame" power supply and put that inside the case with the amp board. An open frame power supply is functionally identical to a wall wart, just without all the packaging. I've done this before to good effect. Because linear open frame power supplies are large and I favor smallish enclosures, my first amp like this used a high-grade switching power supply. Switchers are smaller and more efficient than linear power supplies, but they put some noise on the power output. However, a high-grade switcher will have virtually no ripple and it will use very high switching rate so that the noise is all in the high ultrasonic range. I was quite happy with that amp's performance.

Later, someone prevailed on me to build an amp in a rather large case (6" x 6" x 3"), so that I could accommodate an internal open frame linear power supply. So, you can still have linear-regulated power if you really want it. It just requires more space.

A more complex option would be to build your own linear power supply and put it into the amp case. Probably the best reason to do this is that you can design the power supply to meet your needs exactly. For instance, all commercial open-frame linear power supplies I've seen use standard transformers, which are large. Forum member Antness has made circuit boards for Kevin Gilmore's linear power supply which uses low-profile toroidal power supplies. This will power a META42 just as well as it will power a Gilmore dynamic amp, and it will fit into cases that are too small to accommodate any commercial open-frame linear power supply I've seen.

Quote:

I would be VERY interested in the sort of thing Happyman is looking for...

Something like this: A homemade (read: CHEAPER!!) version of the Cosmic/Base Station One concept...

This really isn't the same thing as I described for Happyman. There are two main configurations I've done, which are not identical to the Cosmic's power scheme, but which are close.

One kind puts the amp in its own enclosure, and you can plug either a battery pack or a wall-power supply into the amp. Just as above, you have a choice between wall warts, open frame power supplies in separate enclosures, or DIY'd power supplies in separate enclosures. This is the closest I've come to a Cosmic-like setup. The really neat trick in the Cosmic amp is that it has a DC-DC converter inside so that the external power supplies can be 5V, despite the fact that the amp's internal circuitry must need at least 12V. So far, I've gone with simpler configurations like using 1 or 2 9V batteries or lots of AA's rather than using DC-DC converters.

The other way I've done this kind of amp is to put the batteries inside the case with the amp board, and then add a DC power jack that will cut the batteries out of the circuit when you plug a wall power source in. This isn't Cosmic-like at all; it's more like the way most portable CD players work. This is probably my favorite way of doing both battery and wall power.

Oct 2, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #15 of 20
Thanks Tangent.

Could you please send me a PM with an estimate on how much a very high quality META42 (for home use only) would cost, in one of those Hammond cases on your website, and with all the goodies (Neutrik jack, crossfeed, yada yada yada)? Power through the internal switching supply as you mentioned.

An estimate would be great, and you don't need to add any details about configuration, I'll be happy with what you choose, but a ballpark figure would be great. Just so I know what I'm getting into. A guess I've got a few months to think it over anyway with the amount of orders you and JMT are trying to fill.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back