Creative zen micro refurb?
Apr 15, 2006 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

robert1325

500+ Head-Fier
So I read about the headphone jack problem, would it be a big risk to buy a creative zen micro refurb?

They might have already fixed the headphone jack problem, to prevent any future hassle.

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Apr 16, 2006 at 11:00 AM Post #3 of 13
6 month limited waranty is included, it's from the official creative shop...

I also found a guide on how to repair the headphone jack, Does that guide work or is it a hit or miss?

Apr 17, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 13
it works. I already opened up mine twice.
evil_smiley.gif

There is that piece of metal that is screwed onto the case to reinforce the structure but doesn't really prevent broken headphone jack from happening. so I soldered the headphone jack back and stuffed in some paper in between.

Apr 17, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 13
Damn creative, a kid at work who wanted a zen micro like mine is on his third due to problems, and this one semi-died recently, it's hanging and making awful awful noises. Of course it's presumeably a refurb they sent back last time, and of course the warrenty seal is broken for some reason. Anyone know if they're picky about that?

Apr 17, 2006 at 10:52 AM Post #6 of 13
ok, is it possible ti prevent the headphone jack breaking by puting some paper(or plastic) in between so that it's stuck? (without opening the case)

The soldering job does not look to complicated, but i'd rather see how it fairs with a simple solutions like the one mentioned above.

And how is the battery? I heard it drained with the wrong firmware?

The refurb is very cheap, I also saw a Rio carbon, don't know if that would be better? (I don't really like the look of it in the pictures)

Thanks for the reply's

Apr 17, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #7 of 13
My first refurb Zen Micro broke within a month, I'm on my second now and hopefully it will last. I'm gunna shove some paper or plastic into the area around the headphone jack so it doesn't have room to move around.

Apr 20, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek8555
it works. I already opened up mine twice.
evil_smiley.gif

There is that piece of metal that is screwed onto the case to reinforce the structure but doesn't really prevent broken headphone jack from happening. so I soldered the headphone jack back and stuffed in some paper in between.

Great minds think alike! I did the exact same thing since my jack broke 3 months after the warranty ran out. I started a thread, but I guess not many people's jacks are broken yet (or maybe no one cares).

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=174686

Apr 20, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by buffpants24
Great minds think alike! I did the exact same thing since my jack broke 3 months after the warranty ran out. I started a thread, but I guess not many people's jacks are broken yet (or maybe no one cares).

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=174686

Yeah, that's the fix I'm going to use if I have the problem again. The problem is not the solder or anything, it's that teeny gap that allows the headphone jack to move around.

Apr 22, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #13 of 13
I thought I was the only one with the headphone jack problem. It happened to me after about 8 months of use. I just jam a piece of cardboard in there and it is usually OK. Not really satisfied since I bought it new not referb.

Buy at your own risk :/

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert1325
ok, is it possible ti prevent the headphone jack breaking by puting some paper(or plastic) in between so that it's stuck? (without opening the case)

The soldering job does not look to complicated, but i'd rather see how it fairs with a simple solutions like the one mentioned above.

And how is the battery? I heard it drained with the wrong firmware?

The refurb is very cheap, I also saw a Rio carbon, don't know if that would be better? (I don't really like the look of it in the pictures)

Thanks for the reply's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back