Creative z series, or DAC/AMP usb?
Jan 14, 2013 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lilVaratep

Head-Fier
I recently bought the creative sound blaster z, and my friend told me that this: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-System-SB1240/dp/B004275EO4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1358154965&sr=8-3&keywords=xfi+titanium+hd
would have worked better. Could someone please explain to me how source components work? I thought you need a sound card, amp, and dac altogether to have the best possible outcome.  Friend is telling me that integrated sound card -> dac -> amp -> headphones is pretty much the same quality has dedicated sound card -> dac -> amp -> headphones. does having an amp and dac cancel out the sound card? will I lose surround sound and my audio card's functions if I use a dac and AMP? how does this work?! so confused now.

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
I recently bought the creative sound blaster z, and my friend told me that this: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-System-SB1240/dp/B004275EO4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1358154965&sr=8-3&keywords=xfi+titanium+hd
would have worked better. Could someone please explain to me how source components work? I thought you need a sound card, amp, and dac altogether to have the best possible outcome.  Friend is telling me that integrated sound card -> dac -> amp -> headphones is pretty much the same quality has dedicated sound card -> dac -> amp -> headphones. does having an amp and dac cancel out the sound card? will I lose surround sound and my audio card's functions if I use a dac and AMP? how does this work?! so confused now.

The SBZ (Sound Blaster Z) should offer better audio quality then that external SB1240.

An external S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) DAC and headphone amplifier sound quality would be the same hooked up to a motherboard's on-board audio or an add-on internal sound card.
(Using an external USB DAC/amp bypass most of the features of on-board audio and you can't hookup a USB DAC to an interbal add-on sound card)
If you have the SBZ ($120) installed inside your PC computer, I do not see any real reason to add an external DAC/amp.
The SBZ comes with a fairly good DAC chip (CS4398) and headphone amplifier
If you where willing to spend over $200 for an external DAC/Amp. and hook it up to the optical output on the Sound blaster Z card, it might be worth it
and you would still be able to use the SBZs audio processing features.

Jan 23, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #4 of 6
Sorry if I am re-iterating what you said but I also have similar questions regarding the creative sound blaster z card.  If I purchase this card, would there would be a significant difference between:

creative z -> dac -> amp -> headphones

motherboard -> dac -> amp -> headphones

Also, I don't really know much about the inner workings of dac's and amps but if I have the creative z which has 600 ohm impedance could I use a better dac without another amp and just use the amp from the creative z?  Sorry if that didn't make sense, here's what I mean:

creative z -> dac -> headphones

I don't really know if thats possible (if the dac requires an extra amp because it cannot use the amp from the creative z sound card?)
If anyone could shed some light on this it would help my purchasing decisions out a lot. (Also sorry for noob questions)  Thanks!

Jan 23, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 6
Another factor to consider is that the SoundBlaster Z will only output 24-bit/96khz to a DAC whereas a DAC hooked up through SPDIF or USB from your motherboard will most likely support 24-bit/192khz.

Probably a moot point adding to confusion... On to something more relevant!

The DAC and amp on the Z should work just fine as an all-in-one solution.
However, if you're planning on running an external DAC and amp then I wouldn't bother with the Z unless you're using it as a DSP for SBXPro.

Jan 23, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for that bit of information!  I think I will just require the creative z card then for my situation.  I plan on purchasing the Beyerdynamic DT770 250 ohm

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-770-PRO-250-ohms/dp/B0006NL5SM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1390517657&sr=1-1&keywords=beyerdynamic+dt770

The Creative Z card specs say:  3.5mm gold plated headphone jack driven by the 600 Ohm Maxim MAX97220 amp

Would this card would work well the the 250 ohm version of the DT770?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back