Creative X-fi Titanium HD vs Modi Help (Also Desktop AMP suggestions)
Jan 30, 2013 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

freitz

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have a Creative X-fi Titanium HD, Fiio E11, and AKG K550. Now the fiio is great when traveling I am tired of changing the battery for normal use. 

What would be a good amp around 100$ 

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=13

I was looking at that. I don't think I need a DAC the soundcard DAC should be good enough?

Also Im not against getting a DAC as well Im just not sure if it will produce better sound. Magni Modi combo?

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 19
You don't need to get the schiit dac but I'm sure it would help. I like everything external from my computer. If I was you I would just get the Magni Modi combo for 200 bucks

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 19
Would the combo be better then the built in DAC in the X-fi Titanium HD? Is the Modi converter better then the Ti-HD?

What would be the benefit of a better external DAC? Would I notice improvement of the sound quality?

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:
Would the combo be better then the built in DAC in the X-fi Titanium HD? Is the Modi converter better then the Ti-HD?

What would be the benefit of a better external DAC? Would I notice improvement of the sound quality?

A DAC has one purpose, to covert digital to analog. In theory all DACs should sound the same but obviously they don't. I can rarely tell a change in sound when switching from DAC to DAC but I'm sure there is a lot of the time. 

Would you hear a change in SQ when using the Titanium HD or the Modi? I can't comment on that because I've never used the Titanium. Only you will be able to answer that question if you were to get the Modi. A lot of info you get from other members here is really subjective most of the time. 

External DACs are generally better than the DACs on internal sound cards but that also isn't always true. There is no correct answer. If I was you I would grab the combo and do some A/B tests to see if you hear an increase in SQ. Schiit does have a return policy.

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:
A DAC has one purpose, to covert digital to analog. In theory all DACs should sound the same but obviously they don't. I can rarely tell a change in sound when switching from DAC to DAC but I'm sure there is a lot of the time. 

Would you hear a change in SQ when using the Titanium HD or the Modi? I can't comment on that because I've never used the Titanium. Only you will be able to answer that question if you were to get the Modi. A lot of info you get from other members here is really subjective most of the time. 

External DACs are generally better than the DACs on internal sound cards but that also isn't always true. There is no correct answer. If I was you I would grab the combo and do some A/B tests to see if you hear an increase in SQ. Schiit does have a return policy.

That was almost in another language I am still fairly new to this audiophile stuff... What are A/B test and what is SQ?

Thanks.

I wonder if anyone else has tested this that the External DAC in the mogni is better then the DAC in the TI-HD

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:
That was almost in another language I am still fairly new to this audiophile stuff... What are A/B test and what is SQ?

Thanks.

I wonder if anyone else has tested this that the External DAC in the mogni is better then the DAC in the TI-HD

lol no problem man, I know that feeling. When I say A/B testing I mean doing testing to see what the SQ (sound quality) differences between your different gear is. For example, you hook up your TI-HD to the Magni and listening for a while and then hook up the Modi to the Magni and compare the too to see what is different about the sound. 

I bet if you made a thread called "Creative X-fi Titanium HD vs Modi?" someone would have some insight on the direct comparision between the two.

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by freitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was looking at that. I don't think I need a DAC the soundcard DAC should be good enough?

Although I do not have the Titanium HD, from the information I found about it, I do not think an external DAC would be useful to you if you do not have interference problems in your computer (I mean hearing noises in the audio output of the card during GPU/CPU/hard disk activity, while moving the mouse, etc.), and you do not need the DAC for some specific feature. In fact, from its specifications it even looks like the Modi is technically worse, but I doubt it really matters in practice, because it is still plenty good enough anyway.

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #12 of 19
The TiHD has a very good DAC and if you aren't having any issues with interference, there would be no point in getting an external DAC. You would also lose any gaming features with an external USB DAC so another reason not to consider it.

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:
The TiHD has a very good DAC and if you aren't having any issues with interference, there would be no point in getting an external DAC. You would also lose any gaming features with an external USB DAC so another reason not to consider it.

I would still use the sound card. Unless I am not understanding how it hooks up. Still new to this.

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
I would still use the sound card. Unless I am not understanding how it hooks up. Still new to this.

Technically, USB audio devices of any kind are their own sound cards. It's possible to use them with a dedicated sound card by having Windows 7/8 play back the "What U Hear"/Stereo Mix recording input through the USB DAC, but it's a bit kludgy compared to just using a DAC with S/PDIF input.

Not that I'd ever bother with a card like the X-Fi Titanium HD...the difference just wasn't noticeable to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back