Creative T20 speakers make "pop" sound when turned on and off
Aug 3, 2015 at 11:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

yonyz

Head-Fier
Hi,

I've had my T20 speakers since 2009 or so. A few days ago my brother bought Microlab FC330 speakers which were connected to my computer until today, since we were working on setting up his new computer and all that. So, the T20 were not used for 4 days or so.

I just plugged them back in, and when I turned them on I heard a pop sound coming from the left speaker only, and I saw that the woofer was moved like 0.5cm outside and stayed that way. That very woofer was also making weird, soft sounds, even though nothing was playing back. When I turn them off, the woofer goes back inside 0.5cm or so. It's the same now whenever I turn them on or off, and like I said, it's only on the left speaker. I checked all the connections, and even disconnected the audio source completely, and plugged the speakers into a different socket where no other electronics are plugged, and it's the same, so it's not interference from other electronics.

The speakers still play sounds, though. Should I just get used to the pop sound, or do something about it?

Thanks.

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #2 of 17
redface.gif

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 17
  All the 3 modules: speaker satellites and subwoofer, are powered/active speakers.
They have each their own built-in amplifier.
The amplifier circuit in the speaker that "pops" and pushes the cone out, has an error: DC power is leaking somewhere it is not supposed to go!
The cone's windings are being supplied DC current, that is also why you hear noise from that speaker.
This amplifier, most certainly also the speaker windings, may burn off soon if you do not have this fixed.

Hi,

A tiny correction, it's a 2.0 system, so no subwoofer. The amplifier is located in the right speaker. The left speaker doesn't have its own amplifier, I think it's a single amplifier for both speakers. Does that make sense?

How can I have the speakers fixed? After six years they're out of warranty of course. Is is possible for me to fix the problem by myself, or does it require special equipment or components?

Thanks.

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #5 of 17
Apologies for the confusion, but I am talking about the Creative T20. They're the speakers with the problem. The FC330 indeed have a subwoofer and they are just 4 days old and working fine. Since I've plugged the T20 back, they started showing the aforementioned symptoms. The T20 is a 2.0 system. :)

Aug 4, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #8 of 17
Yes, the FC330 are my brother's.
I have no idea how much it would cost to repair them, and I want to get a new pair anyway. It's hard to go back to T20s after using FC330 for a few days. They just don't have any punch in movies, no bass at all. So now I'm leaning towards FC330 or SOLO6C. The Solo have no subwoofer but have large drivers - 6.5 inches. And they have a remote, which is great considering the ridiculous volume control placement of the FC330 (on the subwoofer :\ ).

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #9 of 17
Yes, the FC330 are my brother's.
I have no idea how much it would cost to repair them, and I want to get a new pair anyway. It's hard to go back to T20s after using FC330 for a few days. They just don't have any punch in movies, no bass at all. So now I'm leaning towards FC330 or SOLO6C. The Solo have no subwoofer but have large drivers - 6.5 inches. And they have a remote, which is great considering the ridiculous volume control placement of the FC330 (on the subwoofer :\ ).

Yes. The T20s would likely be too much money to repair.

I think the idea with the FC330 is that you control the volume with your computer volume.

Are you in the UK? If so, you also might look into Edifier speakers.

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #10 of 17
Yes. The T20s would likely be too much money to repair.

I think the idea with the FC330 is that you control the volume with your computer volume.

Are you in the UK? If so, you also might look into Edifier speakers.

I'm not from the UK, and there are no Edifier speakers for sell where I live. Is there anything else that competes with the FC330 and SOLO6C in their price range, and is also sold outside the UK?

Aug 5, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #12 of 17
Where do you live then?
smily_headphones1.gif

I live in Israel.

I'll probably get either the FC330 or the SOLO6C soon, even though the T20s are still working. I wonder if there is a difference in the sound quality? Obviously the bass will be punchier with the FC330 since it has a subwoofer, but then the SOLO have much bigger drivers so, yeah, I don't know what that means quality-wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back