Creative Super X-Fi headphone holography
Feb 11, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #331 of 998
I am not sure about the word "bake". But yes, you can EQ in the Windows software.

Meaning the EQ stays set after I unplug from Windows and plug into something else. I see they are slow getting a macOS version going.

Feb 11, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #334 of 998
Guys, if you haven’t done so far, please try to do multiple measurements with the personalize function of the app. Was very suprised to find that they do really differ. So it is worth to do several tries.

Feb 11, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #335 of 998
Guys, if you haven’t done so far, please try to do multiple measurements with the personalize function of the app. Was very suprised to find that they do really differ. So it is worth to do several tries.

really? so there are differences with each scan? do you think it has to do with each firmware update? i feel like the sound of the xfi changes over time and i was wondering maybe each firmware update was causing it. maybe you need a rescan to recalibrate the sound?

or does the rescan change the sound even if there is no update?

Feb 11, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #336 of 998
My question would be if the scans are additive. Meaning the more samples taken, the better the hrtf produced. Perhaps scanning both ears? Or trying one ear at a time and test between those?

Feb 11, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #337 of 998
Bought the updated version, the Aurvana Live!2, because I hoped they would have an optimized profile. But they are just terrible headphones. Get a pair of Beyerdynamic instead.
Slightly off-topic, but found it funny that we were just talking about the Aurvana. Haven't compare the Live 2 and SE side by side though, so take the review with a pinch of salt.

Feb 12, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #338 of 998
I really like the bundled Aurvana. They're super comfy and I love the sound profile even has a headphone. The DT990's have horrible treble - ortary1990's EQ curve he computed via a antrhomphic head in a lab really corrects this though. The Super XFI tames that nasty treble too when you select the DT990 as the profile. But the best movie experience I've had over headphones was with the Aurvana.

More testing today - my NX Headtracker turned up which I combined with the DT990's. I really like Waves for music and it gets the front left and right well. But the rear channels are't really out of your head at all. The SXFI blows them out the water for that. And that's with my head measurements in there. So my conclusion still stands - Waves for music, SXFI for movies.

Tried the SXFI with my new WH-1000MX3 - the bass for movies is so similar to my dual SVS PB13's. It's like it thumps your ears. Hard to describe. The difference is I don't need to faf around for a day getting a flat EQ for each seating position. I used the MDR-1000 as the profile as they're similar sound signatures per rtings.com.

Also tried the windows app - was really well hidden as there's no references on the SXFI pages. Makes experimenting with different headphones/profiles so much easier.

So the DT990 250ohm version I have has a big problem with clipping, even with EQ disabled during heavy explosion scenes. You can easily verify this by playing a 20hz test tone. This is likely because it's the 250ohm version and I need the gain at 90 to get to reference volumes. The Aurvana, on the other hand, has no clipping. Applying the cinema EQ really improves movies. I'm sure the DT990 32Ohm edition will be better - but there's not much output below 25-30hz which is important for explosions in movies - so you have the boost the EQ alot.

How about your experience with the Out of Your Head software? So far, my experience is it is THE speaker simulation to beat. But you'd prefer Waves over OOYH for music? Movies?

Feb 12, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #339 of 998
I've not experimented with OOYH in quite some time. I didn't like what it did for music but considering the SXFI does the same thing I just tested the two presets available in HeSuVi. It certainly gets the center channel and rears out of your head. So I'm going to experiment more now with the actual application.

Feb 12, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #340 of 998
I've not experimented with OOYH in quite some time. I didn't like what it did for music but considering the SXFI does the same thing I just tested the two presets available in HeSuVi. It certainly gets the center channel and rears out of your head. So I'm going to experiment more now with the actual application.

I've only tried the Waves NX demo on the browser, and while I do get the surround effect, it is also obvious that the sounds are coming from the headphones. From the standpoint of deceiving my ears and simulating speakers, it wasn't the case for me. But I'm not using the Audeze, so maybe there's a difference. Hopefully I'll get an opportunity to try it in the future.

Yes, the HeSuVi is a good introduction to OOYH, but the really good presets, to my ears, are the Sonus Faber Elipsa and Focal Scala. Unfortunately, OOYH acts up quite a bit when starting up, so you may need to re-open the software / toggle between the presets a few times for it to load properly. It's very irritating. But when it's working....man it's a holier grail than the SXFi....

However, my results with the SXFi have been mixed. Ironically, the SXFi Air C with some unknown profile gave me better positional effects than my own SXFi amp and mapped profile. So until I can somehow figure it out, OOYH is king of the hill for me (and the Realiser by extension).

Still, will be interesting to hear others, like yourself, who were able to get good results with SXFi to compare with OOYH.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #341 of 998
Slightly off-topic, but found it funny that we were just talking about the Aurvana. Haven't compare the Live 2 and SE side by side though, so take the review with a pinch of salt.

That guy has become one of my favorite reviewers. I can’t help but enjoy listening to this guy curse even at the things he likes

Feb 13, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #343 of 998
I'd be curious to hear if SXFI kills the highs for anyone else? I mean for me it sounds almost like they delete the 10kHz+ range making everything sound low quality due to lack of sparkle/airiness to sounds. So far my experience is not great, I already packed it up and likely will sell it. What good is out-of-your-head experience if it decimates the sound quality in the process too.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #344 of 998
I'd be curious to hear if SXFI kills the highs for anyone else? I mean for me it sounds almost like they delete the 10kHz+ range making everything sound low quality due to lack of sparkle/airiness to sounds. So far my experience is not great, I already packed it up and likely will sell it. What good is out-of-your-head experience if it decimates the sound quality in the process too.
I would expect that both a mismatched ear profile as well as a mismatched headphone selection can cause this. I personally experienced similar things when trying to find a profile for the SRH-1540. So if there is no direct match for your headphones it might indeed be better to either wait for more profiles or sell it again. Otherwise it might be worth it to just do the head profile again, for me the second profile sounded quite a bit better (even though the first was still fine).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back