Creative Super X-Fi headphone holography
Jan 23, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #811 of 999
@pietcux I just don't see a point in always thinking about doing something the computer can easily do by itself, and, more importantly, *should* be able to do by itself if it wasn't for that stupid bug with the Legacy Kernel Caller and/or Creative using it in their drivers. Especially since it can more or less be worked around by simply not using the Creative drivers with the X3.

@mushy168 Funnily enough, that works fine. I wasn't expecting it to, but it does. So cheers.

Feb 5, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #812 of 999
Hi.

Could anyone kindly tell me if the line-in on the rear of their X3 is working, please? I can’t get any audio from it. The official support documentation I have seen doesn’t mention any kind of special activation process so I assume it’s supposed to be like on the sound blaster G6, where unless USB is being used as primary audio input, it will automatically default to the line-in if connected.

I have tried multiple cables and source devices, different types of content, in addition to multiple usb power supplies. Everything else on the unit works as it should (except perhaps for SXFI, more on that below) but no audio from line-in. Maxing volume on source device and/or X3 makes no difference and no, it’s not on mute, lol.

Do I have defective unit or am I just being a clueless idiot and missing something simple?

As for SXFI on the X3, I last updated just over a week ago, firmware, drivers and SB Command software and rear surround cues are ‘trapped-in-a-metal-box’ terrible. This is in contrast to the same content sounding OK through the same headphones using the same SXFI user profile via the SXFI Amp / dongle. I’d be interested to know the comparative of experience of anyone else who owns both the X3 and the SXFI AMP.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #813 of 999
@SierraMadre Does your Line-in say it's ready in the Sound inputs control panel? For some reason, the X3 only allows using a single input at a time, so if one of the other inputs is currently active, then Line-in is deactivated. The device remembers the last used input. Easiest way to switch the active input is to select it as system default (you can then set the system default input device to a different device, provided it's not one of the other X3 inputs).

x3_linein.png

Not sure why they're doing this, and I wish they didn't. Because of this I still need another soundcard in the system, because I sometimes need both line-in and mic at the same time :frowning2: (BTW, my inputs are named differently because I'm using the generic drivers instead of Creative ones, but it's just Mic, Line-in and What you hear.)

As for the weird reverb on rear cues, I noticed it as well a week or so ago. For me, it only happens in a fairly narrow range when the source is directly behind me, but it definitely happens and can be annoying (depending on what the content is). I hope they fix it.

Feb 5, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #814 of 999
@SierraMadre Does your Line-in say it's ready in the Sound inputs control panel? For some reason, the X3 only allows using a single input at a time, so if one of the other inputs is currently active, then Line-in is deactivated. The device remembers the last used input. Easiest way to switch the active input is to select it as system default (you can then set the system default input device to a different device, provided it's not one of the other X3 inputs).

Not sure why they're doing this, and I wish they didn't. Because of this I still need another soundcard in the system, because I sometimes need both line-in and mic at the same time :frowning2: (BTW, my inputs are named differently because I'm using the generic drivers instead of Creative ones, but it's just Mic, Line-in and What you hear.)

As for the weird reverb on rear cues, I noticed it as well a week or so ago. For me, it only happens in a fairly narrow range when the source is directly behind me, but it definitely happens and can be annoying (depending on what the content is). I hope they fix it.
Ah thanks. I'll give it a try and report back. When I previously tried, it was just usb plugged into wall wart for power, the X3 was not connected to a PC or anything, so the only audio input was line-in which I tried from a variety of sources. Given that they advertise the line-in as being for mobile and DAP sources, I assumed all that was necessary would be to plug it in while there was no audio being inputted via usb.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #815 of 999
Hi.

Could anyone kindly tell me if the line-in on the rear of their X3 is working, please? I can’t get any audio from it. The official support documentation I have seen doesn’t mention any kind of special activation process so I assume it’s supposed to be like on the sound blaster G6, where unless USB is being used as primary audio input, it will automatically default to the line-in if connected.

I have tried multiple cables and source devices, different types of content, in addition to multiple usb power supplies. Everything else on the unit works as it should (except perhaps for SXFI, more on that below) but no audio from line-in. Maxing volume on source device and/or X3 makes no difference and no, it’s not on mute, lol.

Do I have defective unit or am I just being a clueless idiot and missing something simple?

As for SXFI on the X3, I last updated just over a week ago, firmware, drivers and SB Command software and rear surround cues are ‘trapped-in-a-metal-box’ terrible. This is in contrast to the same content sounding OK through the same headphones using the same SXFI user profile via the SXFI Amp / dongle. I’d be interested to know the comparative of experience of anyone else who owns both the X3 and the SXFI AMP.

Many thanks

Hey there, new user here. I have the same issues with the SXFi on the X3. It sounds inferior to the SXFi amp.

Creative support told me that both the X3 and SXFi should function similarly, but it's clearly not the case.

In my case, I get very bad distortions in the mids and lows, especially when it's a very busy part of the track. I didn't do much comparisons in terms of surround, but I don't think it's that much of a difference for me. 5.1 surround on BFV is bad on the X3, simply because all the explosions sound anemic and distorted. The SXFi amp did not suffer such issues.

Feb 6, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #816 of 999
Hey there, new user here. I have the same issues with the SXFi on the X3. It sounds inferior to the SXFi amp.

Creative support told me that both the X3 and SXFi should function similarly, but it's clearly not the case.

In my case, I get very bad distortions in the mids and lows, especially when it's a very busy part of the track. I didn't do much comparisons in terms of surround, but I don't think it's that much of a difference for me. 5.1 surround on BFV is bad on the X3, simply because all the explosions sound anemic and distorted. The SXFi amp did not suffer such issues.
Did you make that you did not have one of the various eq settings active?

Feb 7, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #818 of 999
Feb 7, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #820 of 999
He4xx. The distortions are present no matter which headphones I am using.
W10 Spatial Sound set to off? Channels set to 7.1? You know a PC gives you much more freedom of doing things...

Feb 7, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #822 of 999

Users who are viewing this thread

Back