Creative SoundBlasterX AE-9
Aug 28, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #136 of 154
I can see now why people are wary of Creative products. Unfortunately, their Quality Control needs improvement. I just had my 2nd defective AE-9 in the span of 8 months. Basically, the left channel literally just shorts out and no sound except static comes out of it. I fear these cards just aren't designed to actually handle op-amps other than the stock ones, despite them marketing that they're fully swappable.
What op amps are you using? for how long?

Aug 28, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #137 of 154
Sparkos op-amps. Used them for months. It's not the op-amps, it's the card itself. Last time this happened, the left channel went out no matter what op-amps I used. I think the card just can't handle a real op-amp over time.

When I returned the first card, they literally sent me a replacement right away, so I'm guessing they're aware of this QC issue.

Aug 23, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #146 of 154
such as clock oscillator, spdif output module etc... anything that have nothing to do with the d/a and analog circuit

If you are looking to use the sound blaster cards for ASIO studio stuff, then look elsewhere, they have asio but only for playback so they have "lag".

About SPIDIF, if you are looking for an AE-9 just for the SPIDIF, then is cheaper to get another card, you won't see any real difference between a cheap SPIDIF versus an expensive one.

The only thing that I don't like of the AE-9 is that the hardware processor is limited to 96/24 and if you use the sound card at any resolution higher than 192 (with the processor off) then in windows you won't get any sound (sounds as if you were muted the card).

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #147 of 154
If you are looking to use the sound blaster cards for ASIO studio stuff, then look elsewhere, they have asio but only for playback so they have "lag".

About SPIDIF, if you are looking for an AE-9 just for the SPIDIF, then is cheaper to get another card, you won't see any real difference between a cheap SPIDIF versus an expensive one.

The only thing that I don't like of the AE-9 is that the hardware processor is limited to 96/24 and if you use the sound card at any resolution higher than 192 (with the processor off) then in windows you won't get any sound (sounds as if you were muted the card).
i have been using ae 5 and ae9 in spdif exclusively for almost ten years

the spdif of ae9 is better than ae5 for god knows reason

as the reason, i need sound blaster engine for gaming and it can output through spdif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back