Creative SoundBlasterX AE-9
Dec 4, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #91 of 154
Ordered mine today. can't wait. i'll make a comparsion review with my STX II and ZXR.

Dec 7, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #92 of 154
Quite disappointed with Creative recent sales over black friday/cyber monday and probably their xmas deals will still be poor they did not offer any savings off the AE-9 or there new X3, yet 2 months ago I got the X3 for £83 when they had that discount promo across the board on all items including the AE-9.

Anyway give it a few months and X-fi sound cards will probably be getting the hype marketing treatment :)

Hopefully the new Nu soundcard will give the AE-9 a run for its money since both needs a major price drop !

Dec 11, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #93 of 154
Got my AE-9.

gvpCFSMl.jpg

I promised some comparing so here goes.
I might change my mind as I need to keep listening, but AE-9 sounds pretty much the same as ZXR.
Right now, the sound of the STX II sound the best.

BUT, I will keep updating.

Edit #1: Alrighty, here's the deal: I feel that AE-9 is more detailed and warmer, while the STX II sounds more "alive" and has a very tight impact of bass. ZXR takes a place between those two. I believe that surround gaming will sound better on ZXR out of those three. i'll check it out - right now I'm listening to pure stereo music.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #94 of 154
Hi Rayz, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I know this is an AE-9 post, but I recently bought the AE-7 as an upgrade to the SB ZXR. My findings are that the AE-7 has more detailed highs but lacks some in the bass department, even when applying an EQ in the drivers (and avoiding all of the other software processing, especially the "bass boost"). Would you say that is similar with the AE-9?

Cans: HD599 + JDS Labs Atom Amp

Dec 13, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #95 of 154
I still have to listen to the AE-9 to finally compare it. i'll answer your question as well, soon enough :)
Right now all I can tell that AE-9 has less bass control compared to my STX II.

Dec 23, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #96 of 154
still have to listen to the AE-9 to finally compare it. i'll answer your question as well, soon enough :)
Right now all I can tell that AE-9 has less bass control compared to my STX II.

Thank you for your comparing. I have STXII and NU Audio sound card in my Audio Pc and the STXII sound is definitely better. Bigger soundstage, open, airy, clear sound, the music alive, etc.

If I good understand the sound of the STX II is better then the Soundblaster ae-9?

Dec 23, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #97 of 154
Thank you for your comparing. I have STXII and NU Audio sound card in my Audio Pc and the STXII sound is definitely better. Bigger soundstage, open, airy, clear sound, the music alive, etc.

If I good understand the sound of the STX II is better then the Soundblaster ae-9?

Actually, I was about to say that AE-9 has a way better sound than my STX II. it's way cleaner and detailed. I'm yet to open a new therad with full impressions. wait for it :)

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #98 of 154
Actually, I was about to say that AE-9 has a way better sound than my STX II. it's way cleaner and detailed. I'm yet to open a new therad with full impressions. wait for it

Ok, I got it. I’m waiting for full review. My favorite is the STXII, I’m looking for a competitor. :)
Nu Audio sound card is not a real competitor of my STX II.
I have bought Burson Vivid and Classic dual opamp also (for my STXII) but was not better than the original opamps.

Jan 2, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #99 of 154
Actually, I was about to say that AE-9 has a way better sound than my STX II. it's way cleaner and detailed. I'm yet to open a new therad with full impressions. wait for it :)

I don’t want to look impatient but have you compared already the STXII to AE-9? :)

Jan 5, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #100 of 154
I didn't forget you, don't you worry! I can't stop listening to my new hd600 and the ae-9. Soon I'll be able to make time for a comparable review.

Feb 6, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #101 of 154
Anyone have any opinions on Op-Amps for the AE9? I've got one on the way and I've got a pair of Burson V5i-D's already and plan on using them since I have them but I'm torn on ordering a pair of V5i-S's, getting something else, or leaving the other two stock. Is the AE9 like the ZxR in the sense that the pair of singles is the buffer and the pair of duals is the I/V?

Feb 16, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #103 of 154
So my AE9 arrived and I’m thoroughly impressed. Running it with a pair of V5i-Ds and the others stock, this is the best I have heard my Focal Clear. Brighter and more resolving than my ZxR and with a more authoritative low end than my Cavelli LCX and Topping D10 combo.
I’m convinced that at least with easy to drive dynamics, this is more than enough and a separate amp isn’t going to offer much.

Feb 19, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #104 of 154
I got a question regarding usinf the AE-9 as a DAC only..

I have a Feliks Echo Tube amplifier and I love the warm tube sound. Now I ask myself, if I could use the Soundblaster AE-9 as a DAC only and use its anlaoge outputs, without using the SB's internal OPAMPs. Is that possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back