Creative SoundBlasterX AE-9
Aug 19, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #47 of 154
Burson V6 is a huge improvement over the V5i.
uwKU9dT.jpg

I bought a couple of these extension sockets. I hope to get them in a couple weeks.
K8RnJv7.jpg

Aug 22, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #48 of 154
Can't wait to hear what you think, I'm primarily a gamer but I bet these will still make a huge difference.

Aug 28, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #52 of 154
Does anyone see any huge improvements using Line Out on the AE-5 and powering AFC's with a Schiit Mjolnir 2?
I have neither but I can tell you if you only use rear ports on the sound card, you will need an amp to get more power. With the line out on the module, you have plenty of power (5.2rms) to drive most headphones because the card is using the extra 12v power from the 6pin connector.

I received my DIP8 extension sockets today. Can't wait to play with all 4 Bursons opamps. I really don't like shutting my PC down.

A couple things about the SB AE-9.
If you have sensitive IEMs like Andromeda, Solaris, and Zeus, you will hear hissing when no audio is playing.
For non-sensitive IEMs, you won't hear hissing. You get the same hissing like on most Android DAP. It's not to say I am not a little disappointed. I don't know if better shielding on the card or cable will help.
I don't plan on listening to IEMs on the SB AE-9. I mainly listen to headphones like Stax and Voce.

Holding down the SBC button for like 7 seconds will turn off the LED display. I didn't see this in the manual. I had to ask because I leave my PC on 24/7.

I quite happy with my SB AE-9 and the Burson opamps. I feel like there is more transparency and detail.

My Foobar settings.
Foobar
> DSP Manager
• Dolby Headphone
o DH1 - Reference room - Amplification: 130%
• Resampler (SRC)
o Target sample rate: 384000 Hz - Best Sinc Interpolator

> Output
• ASIO: Creative SB/SBX AE series ASIO

nyLUTwa.jpg[img]

Tgez8Dy.jpg[\img]

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #53 of 154
I went from a ae-5 to ae-9 and the difference was not that big of a difference. But once I swap the opamp on the ae-9 to the Burson vivid v6 the difference was dramatic. Music and sound separation and detail increased dramatically on all the headphones I own. My headphone list goes from a hifi man 400i, beyerdyamic dt990, b&w p9 and Audeze lcd-4. Listening done on aa flat eq in direct mode in the ae-9 setting and music source is from tidal.

Sep 12, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #54 of 154
Hey there, did you replace both sets of op amps with V6 Vivids?

Sep 26, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #56 of 154
Interesting read.
I bought the AE-9 and it's an incredible card. I think this Burson is an huge upgrade over the stock ones.
I'm asking if I have to buy the Dual or the Single ones? I would like to swap every opamp. (4)
Maybe is there something better aroud as opamp that I can swap to the AE-9? :)

Thank you, still learning basics.

Sep 26, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #58 of 154
Buy once cry once :) Get the AE-9 !

Sep 26, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #59 of 154
Interesting read.
I bought the AE-9 and it's an incredible card. I think this Burson is an huge upgrade over the stock ones.
I'm asking if I have to buy the Dual or the Single ones? I would like to swap every opamp. (4)
Maybe is there something better aroud as opamp that I can swap to the AE-9? :)

Thank you, still learning basics.
Buy the kit Burson offers 2 single and 2 dual opamps but you do have to add the extensions to the cart manually. So worth it. The kit price is cheaper you have to dig through the site it is listed I believe for the old sound blaster zx9.

Sep 27, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #60 of 154
Buy the kit Burson offers 2 single and 2 dual opamps but you do have to add the extensions to the cart manually. So worth it. The kit price is cheaper you have to dig through the site it is listed I believe for the old sound blaster zx9.

So in the AE-9 there are 2 Dual and 2 Single opamp right?
Can I put x4 Dual or I'm gonna fry the soundcard? D:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back