Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Jan 17, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #3,511 of 3,608
Hi everyone, I own one of these and I'm wondering if anyone else has ever had an issue where one of the two headphone channels has loud wind noise when plugged in?

I tried everything, full reset, updated the firmware, tried both the 4.4 and the 3.5 headphones jacks, nothing gives. Also tried all headphone settings (direct/high/lo gain etc) My HPs are Meze Empyreans and they sound fine on every other source I connect them to.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue with the X7.
Open the hatch at the bottom and switch the opamps between the channels and see if the problem moves.

Jan 18, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #3,512 of 3,608
I am currently trying to decide between the X7 or the AE-9 to replace my ****ed up EVGA Nu Audio Pro 7.1 sound card. This is my second Nu Audio Pro that has failed, so I am not even going to bother with another. When I get the X7 or AE-9, it will immediately have two LME49710HA metal can opamps and two LME49720HA metal can opamps installed. Has anyone done a direct comparision between the X7 and AE-9 ?

Jan 18, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #3,513 of 3,608
I am currently trying to decide between the X7 or the AE-9 to replace my ****ed up EVGA Nu Audio Pro 7.1 sound card. This is my second Nu Audio Pro that has failed, so I am not even going to bother with another. When I get the X7 or AE-9, it will immediately have two LME49710HA metal can opamps and two LME49720HA metal can opamps installed. Has anyone done a direct comparision between the X7 and AE-9 ?

I've been trying to find the answer to that myself, but I haven't run into anyone who has done a direct comparison. Ultimately I decided to go with the AE-9. I reached out to Creative and they said that the AE-9 is meant to be an improvement over the X7 in terms of sound quality (how much I'm not sure to be honest). The fact that the X7 is a few years old at this point leads me to assume there's been at least SOME improvement with the newer AE-9.

Jan 18, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #3,514 of 3,608
Open the hatch at the bottom and switch the opamps between the channels and see if the problem moves.
I will try thanks for the suggestion.

Mar 13, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #3,515 of 3,608
Hey all, somehow secured a PS5 recently and found out that audio/mic still works with the Soundblaster X 7. I've been using the Creative BT-W2 since the ps4 but for mic functionality only since we had an optical out at the time. Testing with the PS5, it still has mic functionality along with audio this time around. Seems to be only relegated to X7 processing as the options in PS5 (Linear, Dolby, DTS) didn't seem to have any changes. That being said, I don't have any native PS5 games yet lol.

Mar 13, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #3,516 of 3,608
Hey all, somehow secured a PS5 recently and found out that audio/mic still works with the Soundblaster X 7. I've been using the Creative BT-W2 since the ps4 but for mic functionality only since we had an optical out at the time. Testing with the PS5, it still has mic functionality along with audio this time around. Seems to be only relegated to X7 processing as the options in PS5 (Linear, Dolby, DTS) didn't seem to have any changes. That being said, I don't have any native PS5 games yet lol.

A couple of things: first your equipment isn't gonna last with that setup - you need to let them breathe and work on that dust.

Secondly yes it'll transmit audio over Bluetooth and even let you send the new 3d audio however the quality is significantly impacted. I have been using my X7 with my PS5 via optical passthrough on my TV without issue.

This allows you to utilize Dolby 5.1 the way it was intended. I now use a ModMic USB and have completely removed the W2 from my setup as the PS5 has great chat balancing functionality now built in. With the W2 you can't balance chat audio unless you use the clunky Soundblaster app and now your chat is subject to Bluetooth interface.

Mar 13, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #3,517 of 3,608
It's got tons of room so not an issue. Dusting has already been taken care of.

Don't have a TV with optical passthrough, it's just a monitor =P. For now I'll live in bliss regarding audio impact lol.

Only tested with Blackout but there is an option to change chat volume separately in game.

Mar 13, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #3,518 of 3,608
It's got tons of room so not an issue. Dusting has already been taken care of.

Don't have a TV with optical passthrough, it's just a monitor =P. For now I'll live in bliss regarding audio impact lol.

Only tested with Blackout but there is an option to change chat volume separately in game.
What I'm speaking on is the congested nature of your console exhausting hot heat right in front of the X7 as well as all the cables suffocating it. I'd rework that if I were you.

Also certainly enjoy what you can of it I'm just reminding you it's hindered a bit with reliance on the W2. I believe there are HDMI optical out splitters too for the back of the PS5. I wanna say ASTRO makes one?

Apr 30, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #3,519 of 3,608
When I power off the device using the power button, does everything inside the device go off(the power to the circuit is completely cut) or should I also unplug the power and USB cable ?

I am afraid that after turning it off, some components might still be on inside and this would degrade the unit's components over time ? should I unplug the power and USB cables too ?

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #3,520 of 3,608
When I power off the device using the power button, does everything inside the device go off(the power to the circuit is completely cut) or should I also unplug the power and USB cable ?

I am afraid that after turning it off, some components might still be on inside and this would degrade the unit's components over time ? should I unplug the power and USB cables too ?
As far as I was concerned (my personal thoughts), it drops to a low powered state. It will power off everything other than a standby power circuit.
It will be fine left in standby, I doubt any questions to the longevity to the circuitry will impact on performance or life span.

When ever I unplugged mine I had issues with it not powering up properly and also left in standby.

May 1, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #3,521 of 3,608

I just keep mine powered up all the time. I don't use the standby feature or power button. It makes my speakers pop when toggling those, so I prefer to not experience that several times a day. I use my speakers daily and nearly constantly though.

May 1, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #3,522 of 3,608
Does the X7 have enough power to drive the following headphones properly:

DT990 Pro
HD660S
HD600
HD650
HE400
T50RPMK3
Grado SR225i

??

Is there a headphone it can NOT drive ? if so, which ones ?

May 2, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #3,523 of 3,608
I've read you can circumvent PS5's UAC1 limitation by using a device with this chip to one of PS5's rear USB ports and then one of its outputs to your dac. Apparently retains PS5's 3D audio and all, without the compression of bluetooth.

With my UAC1/2 worries aside, I'm still not aware of many solutions that have a mixer (of at least 2 inputs to headphone output at the same time). I owned an old Astro MixAmp during the 7th gen days but I'm sure it won't handle planar magnetics, whichever dac/amp I'll buy next has to have a dedicated power source separate from USB (considering USB will be plugged into PS5 and the console hinders power massively, from what I've heard).
I just found out about X7 today and I'm happy it has a mixer, but I'm wondering if there's anything out there between a cheapo Mixamp (which doesn't have a separate power source anyway) and this X7, which is a bit overkill for what I want to accomplish, in both price and stature. Do any of you know of an alternative?

For context I'm just interested in simultaneous audio between PS5 and PC, a second physical dial for mixing the volume rather than using software (like X7's solution) would be ideal but not obligatory.

May 2, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #3,524 of 3,608
I've read you can circumvent PS5's UAC1 limitation by using a device with this chip to one of PS5's rear USB ports and then one of its outputs to your dac. Apparently retains PS5's 3D audio and all, without the compression of bluetooth.

With my UAC1/2 worries aside, I'm still not aware of many solutions that have a mixer (of at least 2 inputs to headphone output at the same time). I owned an old Astro MixAmp during the 7th gen days but I'm sure it won't handle planar magnetics, whichever dac/amp I'll buy next has to have a dedicated power source separate from USB (considering USB will be plugged into PS5 and the console hinders power massively, from what I've heard).
I just found out about X7 today and I'm happy it has a mixer, but I'm wondering if there's anything out there between a cheapo Mixamp (which doesn't have a separate power source anyway) and this X7, which is a bit overkill for what I want to accomplish, in both price and stature. Do any of you know of an alternative?

For context I'm just interested in simultaneous audio between PS5 and PC, a second physical dial for mixing the volume rather than using software (like X7's solution) would be ideal but not obligatory.
It doesn't have to be this specific device. Any USB to S/PDIF converter that uses UAC1 will do, older Fiio devices like the E10K or E18 can also be used for that same purpose. As for the mixer, don't buy the X7 just for that feature, it'd be an overkill. You can always daisy chain a Mixamp with an external headphone amp for more power.

May 2, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #3,525 of 3,608
It doesn't have to be this specific device. Any USB to S/PDIF converter that uses UAC1 will do, older Fiio devices like the E10K or E18 can also be used for that same purpose. As for the mixer, don't buy the X7 just for that feature, it'd be an overkill. You can always daisy chain a Mixamp with an external headphone amp for more power.
Just found out my old mixamp has RCA inputs, not outputs, and its USB is power only, so no way of getting everything out of PS5's audio. Guess it's of no use.

Maybe my case is more unique than I was expecting, but I assumed plenty of people would have PC/Console stations and would like to hear both through the same headphones (such as listening to a podcast with the game's audio on the background) but it's proving hard to find an easy/affordable solution other than the X7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back