Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Mar 10, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #1,486 of 3,608
@bombadilio - or just get rid of the soundbar and buy some actual speakers.

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #1,487 of 3,608
I purchased so I could have a killer soundcard, that would handle my AKG / new Denon Headphones, new soundbar, and be able to utilize a great soundcard within Windows 10, Windows 7 for gaming, etc.

I did my research, emailed Creative, checked forums and all signs read (even the review on the frontpage) that it would be able to send 5.1 sound to my speakers. I am not the only one who thought it would work since their are countless threads in the Creative forums of people like me who thought they would be able to:
A. Get an AMAZING sound card 
B. Utilize 5.1 sound on their speakers
C. Save space in their rig when we had 4 Titan X GPU's, etc.

So yes, I purchased it feeling it would satisfy all of these things. There is literally 0 reason as to why it should not work, my Asus Rampage V Extreme motherboard is able to send Dolby Digital and DTS to the Soundtouch 130 with 0 problems. Why in the world would creative not be able to do this. 

A good solution would be if I could capture the realtek sound driver on the motherboard and send the optical cable to the X7 then the other optical cable to the soundbar. But this is wishful thinking and defeats the purpose.

Is there anything I can do other than resell this sound card? I moved from Quad SLI Titan-X's now to just 2 980ti's + USB 3.1 insert card, I could technically fit another soundcard into the machine. 

Is there anything I can do to salvage this? Or is it just good for my headphones late at night?

I am really trying hard to find a way I can use this still. For now I will just send an optical cable from the PC to the soundbar for gaming and movies, and an HDMI cable from the TV to the Bose for netflix, plex, etc.

I would really like to find a way to utilize this soundcard. Even Spotify wont utilize SBX effects via optical, its just weird, or maybe I just dont get it and could use some help.

EDIT:
Let me know if this scenario would work. I buy an optical to analog converter: 
http://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Audio-Digital-Decoder-Converter/dp/B00AMC2J1Y 
Optical goes Bose Cinemate and then I attach it to the X7 LE via analog cables. Would this fix the 5.1 problem?
So in this case I would need an Encoder right? Any solutions we can come up with?

Your post is so long and definitely not simple lol, i hope i get this right.

So you want to use your soundbar with your pc and tv.
When you realize you need a receiver you opt for x7, right?
I think it should go like
Computer--> usb--> x7--> optical out--> soundbar
While connecting the tv to the soundbar via hdmi.
i don't think you can utilize headphone from x7 if you are using soundbar as the tv output, unless you can change the audio out from hdmi to optical which connect to the x7 (if the tv has one)

I don't know what to say about this, but i think the bose is not designed to be used in conjuction with other dac/amp

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #1,488 of 3,608
@bombadilio
- or just get rid of the soundbar and buy some actual speakers.

Stop hating on soundbars. :p

I use my lowly Pioneer - Andrew Jones soundbar and it's wireless sub more than I use any of my headphones.

People always say get speakers, but (prior to owning the X7), I didn't have a receiver to feed them a signal/power them. Soundbars are very convenient as they have everything you need. Just attach to the TV, and you're good. That is, unless you have a Soundbar with satellite speakers, which then you'll want a way to feed it true 5.1/7.1. My Pioneer one is just stereo.

Mar 11, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #1,489 of 3,608
Can't help it. Soundbards are the Siamese twins of speakers. I'll try to keep an open mind though.

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #1,490 of 3,608
Soundbars are more like speakers + personal dac/amp + subwoofer all in one (the ones that come packed with a sub). It's convenient as all hell for a good price (usually).

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #1,491 of 3,608
Yeah, I would suggest Bombadilio just try to connect the Soundbar to the curved TV.
So that's HDMI from graphics card ->TV -> optical out-> Soundbar.

Trying to pass encoded 5.1 (Dolby or DTS) through the X7 is a bit beyond my use case or experience, so I would look for a simpler workaround like above.

Mad,
If you like soundbars so much, maybe you should ask Creative if you could review the sound carrier! LOL!

Mar 11, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #1,492 of 3,608
Hi,

I have a quick question regarding the X7. Do I have to plug it in to a source via USB, or could I plug it into something stand alone like a turn table with a pre-amp using the lines in/outs? I figure it could be a decent solution seeing as most controls are on the unit itself and the app. I've been looking at http://uturnaudio.com/turntables/ as a starter and if i could save on additional audio equipment, that would rock.

Thanks

Mar 11, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #1,493 of 3,608
  Hi,

I have a quick question regarding the X7. Do I have to plug it in to a source via USB, or could I plug it into something stand alone like a turn table with a pre-amp using the lines in/outs? I figure it could be a decent solution seeing as most controls are on the unit itself and the app. I've been looking at http://uturnaudio.com/turntables/ as a starter and if i could save on additional audio equipment, that would rock.

Thanks

Do not use the X7 with a turntable unless Yo're planning on digitizing Your vinyls. The Line-in is not connected directly to the amp. It first goes through an analog-to-digital converter, then a digital-to-analog converter and then to the amp so it kinda defeats the purpose of listening to vinyl since You'll still be listening to digital music. Why Creative built it like that will remain a mystery forever.

Mar 11, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #1,494 of 3,608
EDIT: I tried Yethals suggestion of sending video and audio from my PC/TitanX --> Receiver via Hdmi 2.0 ---> Receiver ---> TV 
Problem is the receiver is restricted to 30 FPS. I will lower my resolution and test it out though just in case it can be a solution.

First, I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your help! going to streamline everyones responses to make sure I got this right.

I have it setup right now as follows:
Computer USB ---> X7 ---> Optical Out on X7 LE --->Bose 130 (Prior setup PC USB ---> X7 Optical output ---> Bose  & Input on X7 Optical In from TV(now TV does HDMI to BOse

- Samsung 4k TV has HDMI in PCoutput1 port transmitting video to TitanX  HDMI 2.0 IN | Samsung 4k TV has in HDMI 4 (ARC) OUTPUT transmitting Audio to Bose in TV input of Bose
     - PC has USB to X7 LE
           - Optical Out X7 LE -----> Optical Input Bose Soundtouch 130 
I think it should go like
Your post is so long and definitely not simple lol, i hope i get this right.
So you want to use your soundbar with your pc and tv.
When you realize you need a receiver you opt for x7, right?

Computer--> usb--> x7--> optical out--> soundbar
While connecting the tv to the soundbar via hdmi.
i don't think you can utilize headphone from x7 if you are using soundbar as the tv output, unless you can change the audio out from hdmi to optical which connect to the x7 (if the tv has one)

I don't know what to say about this, but i think the bose is not designed to be used in conjuction with other dac/amp

I tried to be concise .... :) I really appreciate you taking the time!
beyersmile.png

Your proposed setup is the same (see above).
Should the Dolby Digital light up on the X7 though? Nothing lights up, when I loaded on Win10 x64 a TV Ep from Gotham in 5.1 Dolby Digital. BUT.....  the Bose read Dolby Digital 5.1. Game wise nothing showed.
    Headphone wise, I can play music on the soundbar and hear music in my headphones at the same time with the X7. I just want to get 5.1 sound, then I can figure the rest. 
Should I set it up differently? Would love to find a work around. Since I should still be able to get 5.1 thats what I can't get.

Quote:
  @bombadilio - or just get rid of the soundbar and buy some actual speakers.

Ha! I would but my setup is not conducive to one + def its better than my Z623, and in a small apartment large bookshelf speakers are not easy.  Best option w/ a 3k TV @ $1,500 was this soundbar. I use the SUHD curved 55" for movies, games, work, etc. It moves in 360degrees (up down left right in/out 26.5"  so one time it will face a couch for some chill time, another time the other direction facing a chair. It also sounds amazing.

Stop hating on soundbars.
tongue.gif
I use my lowly Pioneer - Andrew Jones soundbar and it's wireless sub more than I use any of my headphones.

People always say get speakers, but (prior to owning the X7), I didn't have a receiver to feed them a signal/power them. Soundbars are very convenient as they have everything you need. Just attach to the TV, and you're good. That is, unless you have a Soundbar with satellite speakers, which then you'll want a way to feed it true 5.1/7.1. My Pioneer one is just stereo.
Soundbars are more like speakers + personal dac/amp + subwoofer all in one (the ones that come packed with a sub). It's convenient as all hell for a good price (usually).

o2smile.gif
beerchug.gif
, I do have 2 Z623 speakers, but I am not sure how I would attach them with this setup, I could put them as rears but I doubt that would work well. I really love this soundbar and want to be able to use the Creative SBX options in games on top of the 5.1 immersion. I spent over 18 hrs this week trying: 5.1 sound with the Creative only to default to my onboard sound. Then when I just got 5.1 to show up in Win 7 it wont in Win 10. Now that it does, it won't kick on everytime. Then when it does show 5.1 on the Bose receiver, there is no dolby light on the X7

Yeah, I would suggest Bombadilio just try to connect the Soundbar to the curved TV.
So that's HDMI from graphics card ->TV -> optical out-> Soundbar.

Trying to pass encoded 5.1 (Dolby or DTS) through the X7 is a bit beyond my use case or experience, so I would look for a simpler workaround like above.

Mad,
If you like soundbars so much, maybe you should ask Creative if you could review the sound carrier! LOL!

Ok, I "think" understand,
But how would it transmit sound w/ the X7? I think you are saying that having the TitanX taking in the Sound/Video. Then the X7 acts as the soundcard for it? Or is this eliminating the sound card? Will test this now though

MadLust/EVshrun:  I did not even know about this soniccarrier, do you think it would beat the Bose Soundtouch? If so I would totally be willing to use it since my Bose costs $1,500 for a few hundred more to have a Real all in one intgrated solution would be amazing.

Mar 11, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #1,495 of 3,608

Do not use the X7 with a turntable unless Yo're planning on digitizing Your vinyls. The Line-in is not connected directly to the amp. It first goes through an analog-to-digital converter, then a digital-to-analog converter and then to the amp so it kinda defeats the purpose of listening to vinyl since You'll still be listening to digital music. Why Creative built it like that will remain a mystery forever.

That's why I'm selling my X7. I listen to too much vinyl to use the X7 as my preamp/source manager. I think the reason they did this was to be able to "mix" from every source, rather than just not allowing it for the line input. Really blows though.

Mar 12, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #1,496 of 3,608
I wish it's a firmware issue and not a hardware one since I really don't want to buy a separate audio stuff just for the turntable.

Mar 12, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #1,497 of 3,608
Hi,

I just got myself a pair of X7 and emu XM7. Before this, I'm using a klipsch promedia 2.1. I found out that I could use it as the subwoofer for this setup. I'm wondering if using the PM2.1 as a subwoofer, would be spoiling it? Or should I just get a Pioneer SW-8MK2 subwoofer? Thanks.

Mar 12, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #1,498 of 3,608
  Ha! I would but my setup is not conducive to one + def its better than my Z623, and in a small apartment large bookshelf speakers are not easy.  Best option w/ a 3k TV @ $1,500 was this soundbar. I use the SUHD curved 55" for movies, games, work, etc. It moves in 360degrees (up down left right in/out 26.5"  so one time it will face a couch for some chill time, another time the other direction facing a chair. It also sounds amazing.
o2smile.gif
beerchug.gif
, I do have 2 Z623 speakers, but I am not sure how I would attach them with this setup, I could put them as rears but I doubt that would work well. I really love this soundbar and want to be able to use the Creative SBX options in games on top of the 5.1 immersion. I spent over 18 hrs this week trying: 5.1 sound with the Creative only to default to my onboard sound. Then when I just got 5.1 to show up in Win 7 it wont in Win 10. Now that it does, it won't kick on everytime. Then when it does show 5.1 on the Bose receiver, there is no dolby light on the X7

Ok, I "think" understand,
But how would it transmit sound w/ the X7? I think you are saying that having the TitanX taking in the Sound/Video. Then the X7 acts as the soundcard for it? Or is this eliminating the sound card? Will test this now though

I tried to have HDMI from the computer go to the receiver and from the receiver (bose) to the tv, but the Bose Soundtouch 130 only does 30FPS and my Titans only have 1 HDMI 2.0 port so I need to run a direct connect. 

One thought in Windows it reads Default communication device and Default device. Would running the audio be possible via hdmi and this way I can still utilize the X7 in some capacity? what other solutions do I have. 

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #1,499 of 3,608
  I tried to have HDMI from the computer go to the receiver and from the receiver (bose) to the tv, but the Bose Soundtouch 130 only does 30FPS and my Titans only have 1 HDMI 2.0 port so I need to run a direct connect. 

One thought in Windows it reads Default communication device and Default device. Would running the audio be possible via hdmi and this way I can still utilize the X7 in some capacity? what other solutions do I have. 

Do Your cards have a DVI output? DVI controller on most video cards is actually the same as HDMI controller so You should be able to output sound via DVI vith a DVI-HDMi cable. I know my card can do that and DVI adapters are like 3$ so it's worth a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back