Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Mar 29, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #286 of 3,608
^ "Driving more headphones is a false statement."

"Your statement is only true if you plan on using super hard to drive planars like the HE-6, or electrostatics through the speaker outs."

My statement is false, but sometimes true?

But yes, meant to say can drive speakers better with the LE adapter.

And Earphonia's review is on the first page for Jruser to see.

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #287 of 3,608
Because it is false by standard headphone terms. The headphone output is not changed by the higher power adapter.

And it's not like the Standard's speaker outputs can't adequately drive planars and e-stats. Just that the higher output on the speaker out will be better for those very particular situations. The way you worded made it sound like the LE always has more power all the time. It doesn't.

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #288 of 3,608
^ Yes I see.

Changed "LE has a better power adapter and can drive more headphones" to

"LE has a better power adapter which is better at driving external speakers, and the LE is better at driving planar headphones."

Really should not hit reply right before bed on a smart phone.

Would you believe I write for a living? LMAO

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #289 of 3,608
I would change that to 'the LE is better at driving planar and e-stats through it's speaker output' because your posts still sounds like even through the headphone jack, it would better power planars, which is false. :p

Mar 29, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #290 of 3,608
^ Perhaps I didn't understand Earphonia's comment: "Approximately 1 ohm headphone output impedance. Lower output impedance than the 2.2 ohm on the standard SB X7."

This headphone output impedance isn't better at driving certain headphones?

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #291 of 3,608
^ Perhaps I didn't understand Earphonia's comment: "Approximately 1 ohm headphone output impedance. Lower output impedance than the 2.2 ohm on the standard SB X7."

This headphone output impedance isn't better at driving certain headphones?

Theoretically yes, only for certain multi-driver IEM. But in practical not necessary audible. Creative use multi-driver IEM, Shure SE846 for comparison study between the X7 standard and X7 LE, and for Shure SE846 case, due to crossover and multi-driver design, amp with lower output impedance resulting a more linear frequency response. I don't have SE846 to try, but the total difference is only around 1.1 dB, which is not a huge differences.

http://www.creative.com/corporate/pressroom/?id=13449

But that is for multi-driver IEM. For single driver IEM or headphone, the less than 2 ohms differences of the amp output impedance is too small to make any audible differences. Probably only very slight if any.

Practically, the X7 Limited Edition is worth when you prefer white color and the high power adapter for driving speaker.

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #292 of 3,608
^ Thanks for clearing that up.

People say the power adapter is 100 bucks by itself so the LE might be worth it. Unless there's some 3rd party adapter on the cheap somewhere that does the same thing.

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #293 of 3,608
^ Thanks for clearing that up.

People say the power adapter is 100 bucks by itself so the LE might be worth it. Unless there's some 3rd party adapter on the cheap somewhere that does the same thing.

There is:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/756102/creative-sound-blaster-x7-detailed-review-impressions/210#post_11439849

Thanks to @hi2chris !

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #294 of 3,608
That'd work for me here in the States? I ask, because $100 for the official one is a bit too much for a power adapter. Even my overpriced Alienware laptop's power supply isn't as expensive, and Alienware overprices everything.

Asking about the one linked to Amazon.

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #295 of 3,608

http://www.amazon.com/Makerfire%C2%AE-Power-Supply-Adapter-Regulated/dp/B00NHEV4BU/

I saw your comment about being concerned that it would be too small. Have those fears been allayed since your post?

The one from Amazon is less than one pound, while the one from Creative is over two and a half pounds. This, combined with an Amazon reviewers comments about crazy heat would concern me.

Mar 29, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #296 of 3,608
http://www.amazon.com/Makerfire%C2%AE-Power-Supply-Adapter-Regulated/dp/B00NHEV4BU/

I saw your comment about being concerned that it would be too small. Have those fears been allayed since your post?

The one from Amazon is less than one pound, while the one from Creative is over two and a half pounds. This, combined with an Amazon reviewers comments about crazy heat would concern me.

I have no technical information or experience for the power adapter from Amazon. But looking at the size comparing to the original power adapter used by Creative, I doubt it will be able to supply 144 watts for a long period without any problem.

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #297 of 3,608
So am I reading this right - The only difference between the X7 & X7 LE is the colour & power supply ?

The interval's are the same then ?

Still wondering if its worth selling of my iCan...

Mar 30, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #298 of 3,608
So am I reading this right - The only difference between the X7 & X7 LE is the colour & power supply ?

The interval's are the same then ?

Still wondering if its worth selling of my iCan...

Practically yes. Theoretically, it seems that the digital filter setting on standard and LE looks a bit different from RMAA test, but I'm not sure. The results were not exactly identical. PCM1794 DAC chip has internal digital filter with 2 modes, fast and slow. I'm not sure which one is used by X7 standard and LE. But to be honest, the sound quality is similar between the two, and we can say practically the same sound quality. According to Creative, besides the differences mentioned on their website, the rest are the same.

Mar 30, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #299 of 3,608
Practically yes. Theoretically, it seems that the digital filter setting on standard and LE looks a bit different from RMAA test, but I'm not sure. The results were not exactly identical. PCM1794 DAC chip has internal digital filter with 2 modes, fast and slow. I'm not sure which one is used by X7 standard and LE. But to be honest, the sound quality is similar between the two, and we can say practically the same sound quality. According to Creative, besides the differences mentioned on their website, the rest are the same.

Thanks for the info, I guess every unit could display a different RMAA test so they are more than likely the same !

So the headphones impedance, though different in values is dependent on the power supply then ? Or is this part of the amp different...

I

Mar 30, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #300 of 3,608
Thanks for the info, I guess every unit could display a different RMAA test so they are more than likely the same !

So the headphones impedance, though different in values is dependent on the power supply then ? Or is this part of the amp different...

I

Yes, headphone amp not affected by the increase of power adapter capacity.
TPA6120A2 is maxed at 1500 mW, and looks like Creative has set it almost to its max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back