Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Mar 28, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #271 of 3,608
  I'm not saying that it is a resistor network, etc... But do we have more evidence?  Creative is more of a mass-market company so I'm sure they could do it cheaper than some smaller companies. Emotiva had it in products priced similar to the X7.

Just looking for more details, but there aren't any. Anybody remember when the X-FI came out? They gave a ton of technical details. Now, not so much.

That's right! Now not so much technical detail available. I have to frequently 'Whatsapp' my friend in Creative for some info for this review. For example, I mentioned in the review they use PCM1793 for the surround channels & about the USB asynchronous, those info are not available on their website.

As for the digital volume, it is confirm a digital volume control, told to me by Creative, but no further detail. Logically the digital volume could be placed in between the DSP output to the DAC input.

Mar 28, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #272 of 3,608
It was obvious to me it was digital, but what isn't obvious is whether it's lowering bit data as you lower the volume. It would be crazy if the only way to get the most bit resolution would be to use it only as a dac for another amp, while leaving the volume maxed on the X7.

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #273 of 3,608
Just got mine in the mail today. Setting it up now. Why couldn't they have just made a booklet instead of a fold-out for the instructions and such! It's very ungainly to manage.

I love how every cord under the sun is provided. Easy to plug in so far. Just trying to download the software and get going. 

I do have a question regarding Dolby, could I get Dolby activated by plugging the optical to my computer, or does this need to be plugged into an actual receiver or other Dolby compatible device?

Mar 28, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #274 of 3,608
bleh. can't get sound to work on headphones or on the 2.1 speakers. I have them connected via the included cable splitter to the front right and left speaker ports as per the instructions. The driver and software is installed correctly and the test sounds work on the speakers and headphones, but I'm getting no sound from anything. Any tips/help?

Mar 28, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #275 of 3,608
I just turned it on and off and it seems to work now. Youtube, a game, bluetooth, headphones (plugged in and out), all work. Even got iTunes to work after restarting the app. So I think we're all good. 

One warning, turn your system volume or whatever down when plugging in headphones. It seems to start off at 100 all the time. Don't blow your phones or your ears!

Testing ventrilo now and the mic.

Mar 28, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #276 of 3,608
Just had a blue-tooth call. Sound quality is about on par with my Roccat Kave XTD Digital 5.1 headphones meaning not great. It's a little better than the Roccat though.. As long as the blue tooth indicator is blue on the x7, you're good to go and it silences games/music then resumes when you hang up. kinda cool. . 

Mar 28, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #280 of 3,608
^ Troubleshoot. Start with a pair of wired cans and begin the process of elimination.

yeah. getting ready to reboot everything. will unplug it all. I was using hte integrated mic in the x7, i'm wondering if that's not suppoed to be used that way.

Mar 28, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #281 of 3,608
Okay, so I got the mic to work again. Here's what I did: Apparently regardless of headset or speakers, Ventrilo does not like Direct Mode ticked. Additionally, Ventrilo will sound super muffled if you enable 5.1 surround sound (I believe this is because in truth I only have 2.1 speakers, so your mileage may vary). Additionally, to avoid echo, make sure Mic Monitoring Volume is off. 

I'll keep this updated as I experience things.

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #282 of 3,608
So, how decent are the built in mic's? My mouth would be 18 inches from the front of the X7, at a 45 degree angle.

So, i am trying to decide between the E5, X7, X7 LE, and the Oppo HA-2. Any recommendations? The HA-2 is a little more audophile-ish (flatter frequency response, analog volume control). Seems like the E5 and Oppo could cause issues if that battery dies in a couple years from being plugged in all the time. It will be used for PC gaming and music. If I got the Oppo, my mic would have to be hooked to onboard, so the better ADC stage would be nice. Then again I am using this Beyerdynamic headset. If the built-in mics were good enough, I could switch to headphones without a mic. The Creative seems like it would be a hassle switching from normal mode for gaming to direct mode for music. Ugh.

Thoughts? Any better options?

EDIT: Also, I don't see me ever using speakers with this. This Beyerdynamic MMX300 I use is pretty good, so I wouldn't be in a hurry to upgrade.

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #283 of 3,608
^ Doesn't matter how far you're away from the X7 (or whatever), since you'll be using a separate mic no matter what.

X5 is stereo only, while X7 is 5.1 surround. X7 also has a better amp (X5 amp is headphone only), better sound, and more connectivity options. LE has a better power adapter which is better at driving external speakers, and the LE is better at driving planar headphones. With X7 you can also change internal op amps to match your headphones to your liking.

Doesn't make sense to buy the X5 right now because of the current sale on the X7. Two days left!

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #285 of 3,608
^ Doesn't matter how far you're away from the X7 (or whatever), since you'll be using a separate mic no matter what.

X5 is stereo only, while X7 is 5.1 surround. X7 also has a better amp (X5 amp is headphone only), better sound, and more connectivity options. LE has a better power adapter and can drive more headphones, plus better at driving external speakers. With X7 you can also change internal op amps to match your headphones to your liking.

Doesn't make sense to buy the X5 right now because of the current sale on the X7. Two days left!

Driving more headphones is a false statement. The LE's headphone out has similar specs. Earfonia actually has them being just slightly WEAKER than the Standard X7.

The higher power adapter is to drive SPEAKERS. Your statement is only true if you plan on using super hard to drive planars like the HE-6, or electrostatics through the speaker outs.

Personally I bought the standard, because I think the LE color scheme is ugly, and I can always buy the higher power adapter later on, if/when I'm actually gonna use speakers.

Also, the 2.2ohm output will ensure less overdamping characteristics for most headphones. People are really into super low output impedances, without realizing that it can also cause overdamping, where it thins out the sound. The standard is already very quick and nimble sounding. No need for a 1ohm impedance unless you use a lot of IEMs. I don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back