Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Jun 19, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #3,556 of 3,608
Anyone have a Dac recommendation to replace the X7? The Dac would need to do audio mixing, eg. optical and usb simultaneously without source switching as the X7 does.

If not, is there another solution for sound (optical and usb) to be mixed to one output so I can use it with my current XSX and PC for party chat setup?

Jun 19, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #3,557 of 3,608
Anyone have a Dac recommendation to replace the X7? The Dac would need to do audio mixing, eg. optical and usb simultaneously without source switching as the X7 does.

If not, is there another solution for sound (optical and usb) to be mixed to one output so I can use it with my current XSX and PC for party chat setup?
Astro Mixamp but it'd be a downgrade from the X7

Jul 5, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #3,558 of 3,608
I've read you can circumvent PS5's UAC1 limitation by using a device with this chip to one of PS5's rear USB ports and then one of its outputs to your dac. Apparently retains PS5's 3D audio and all, without the compression of bluetooth.

With my UAC1/2 worries aside, I'm still not aware of many solutions that have a mixer (of at least 2 inputs to headphone output at the same time). I owned an old Astro MixAmp during the 7th gen days but I'm sure it won't handle planar magnetics, whichever dac/amp I'll buy next has to have a dedicated power source separate from USB (considering USB will be plugged into PS5 and the console hinders power massively, from what I've heard).
I just found out about X7 today and I'm happy it has a mixer, but I'm wondering if there's anything out there between a cheapo Mixamp (which doesn't have a separate power source anyway) and this X7, which is a bit overkill for what I want to accomplish, in both price and stature. Do any of you know of an alternative?

For context I'm just interested in simultaneous audio between PS5 and PC, a second physical dial for mixing the volume rather than using software (like X7's solution) would be ideal but not obligatory.
Thanks for posting this. I had my PS4 set up previously like this so I could get sound on both devices at the same time to my headphones so I could use my one set of headphones for gaming on both devices, or discord on PC while playing on my PS4. I was hoping there would be a way to do this with PS5 so I will have to give this a shot. Currently don't have my PS5 set up close enough to my PC but if I can keep using this set up it gives me more incentive to put it back near my PC.

Jul 5, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #3,559 of 3,608
Thanks for posting this. I had my PS4 set up previously like this so I could get sound on both devices at the same time to my headphones so I could use my one set of headphones for gaming on both devices, or discord on PC while playing on my PS4. I was hoping there would be a way to do this with PS5 so I will have to give this a shot. Currently don't have my PS5 set up close enough to my PC but if I can keep using this set up it gives me more incentive to put it back near my PC.
I'm moving houses in the next couple of months. I'll be sure to post a photo of the setup by then and report back, hopefuly everything will work as expected.
X7 connected to PS5, PC, and maybe Switch too, with headphones and a 2.1 setup (Adam T5V's + T10S). I can't begin to imagine how the cable management will go.

Jul 5, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #3,560 of 3,608
I'm moving houses in the next couple of months. I'll be sure to post a photo of the setup by then and report back, hopefuly everything will work as expected.
X7 connected to PS5, PC, and maybe Switch too, with headphones and a 2.1 setup (Adam T5V's + T10S). I can't begin to imagine how the cable management will go.
I just moved this past weekend. Finally was able to grab my 4k TV out of storage so I will be trying to use my PS5 with that as I've only had 1080p devices to use it with since I got it and have been moving around a lot. Looking forward to actually getting to try some 4k content on my TV. I plan to also have a spot to set it up in my room either at my desk to one of my monitors, or to a TV if I can fit one in here and be able to use my good desk audio set up since I likely won't be able to set up surround sound here with my TV.

Oct 31, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #3,564 of 3,608
Cant remember if SBX only works with the USB and Optical is only through put !

Just had a google and found this.

Can i apply sbx effect while using toslink out for another dac? or sbx effects work only for analog out?

Answer:
With the SBX button on the Sound Blaster X7, the SBX audio effects can be applied to All playback sources. The optical input on the Sound Blaster X7 allows for SBX processing through the inbuilt SB-Axx1 DSP.
default._CR0,0,1024,1024_SX48_.png

Creative Labs, Inc.
Seller · October 12, 2017

Yes it should be possible!

The X7 and G6 output a signal with applied SBX processing via both HP out and optical-out (as long as direct mode for either HP or optical out is not enabled).

The optical-in will take and decode the DD 5.1 from the console, the SBX processing will be applied and the resulting 2ch signal will be on HP out and Toslink out.

This is exactly made for the case that someone wants to connect a more high-end headphone amplifier to the X7 via optical and still use the SBX processing. It thereby makes no difference how it receives the audio material used for SBX, via USB (PC) or via DD-decoded optical (console). So yes, it should work. :)"

Its been some time since I owned the X7, down graded to G6.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #3,566 of 3,608
Has anyone had any luck with using the Mic Array as a desk mic? I swap between multiple headsets, So i've paired the mic with GeForce Broadcast's noise removal and it sounds great but the gain is horrible. I've boosted it through windows and discord settings but it's as quiet as anything. Am i missing something? Because this can't be advertised as a broadcast quality microphone.

Nov 26, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #3,567 of 3,608
Hi there,
I'm a bit late on that one, but I recently discovered that the X7 has a USB host port on its left side...
This means it's supposed to be able to act as a DAC+amplifier when, say, a smartphone is connected to this USB port.
So I tried just that. Upon connecting I get a blinking "dolby" on the X7, and... that's all.
My smartphone is an android one, and from what I read I should get a USB audio output or something like that in my smartphone USB preferences, which I don't.
So basically, connected smartphone is detected by the X7 but I can't route audio to the X7.
I read on the web that it could be because Android deprecated AOA 2.0 protocole.
Are you guys able to route audio to the X7 using a smartphone connected to its USB host port?

Feb 5, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #3,568 of 3,608
Burson V5i D - OPAMP tested in my trusty Soundblaster X7

I'm going to make a quick tour of who I am, why I'm on headfi for so long, and what I like:wink:

I'm a 47 year old music fan, my story started in Reunion island, where I first got a sony walkman in the early 90's, and this somehow tickled my love for music in general, but also for headphone.

It was only 10 years after than I took the step to get a good headphone, even if I was already onto hifi, but for night time, to not bother my wife, the headphone was the way to go. I first had a HD650, than a Grado PS1000. First gear I ever have was a Burson HA160 and DA160, which was fantastic with the HD650, but way to shining with the PS1000. I then got myself a Woo Audio tube amp, that tamed the PS1000, but the confort and treble were not my friends, so I sold it. I had acouphenia at that time, so I was very sensible to harsh sounding things.

Two years ago, I finally left my little island to begin a new journey near Lyon, in France. There I took my Fostex TH900mk2 with me, my trusty soundblaster X7, and voilà........ Here I am now, two years later, a bit more accustomed to the cold weather ^^ And with a new setup. Audeze LCD GX for the SB X7, and my fostex on iDSD Pro Signature.

-- My stero speaker system :

-Waterfall Victoria EVO
-Kinki Studio EXM1+
-Mytek Brooklyn Bridge
-Gigawatt Prime

-- +HC

-Marantz SR8012
-Zappiti 4K HDR
-Panasonic UB9000
-B&W PV1D subwoofer
-JVC X9000 vp
-2 meters base Xtremscreen 1.2 daylight technical screen
-LG Oled 65GX
- PS3
- PS4
- Gaming pc Ncase M1 watercooled with RTX 3090FE

-- My headphone system

1/ Soundblaster X7 with Audeze LCD GX
2/ iFi Audio iDSD pro signature with Fostex TH900mk2/forza noir hybrid 4.4m cable
-> Connected to my old gaming pc, X299, I9 7900X, 1080Ti, everything watercooled.

And ROON with qobuz premium, which is the center of everything, trully:)

Songs tested, songs I know almost by heart :)

Angus And Julian stone - The Devil's tear

Insomnium : Twilight Trail

In Mourning: Colossus

Amon Amarth : Embrace of the Endless Ocean

Joe Satriani : Always with me, always with you

Katie Melua : Ten Million Bycicle

Champs : 3000 miles away

Jeff Brubeck : Take Five

David Elias : Vision of Her

Zulu : Grander nout l'ame

The Weeknd : Blinding Lights

FA big thanks to John from Burson Audio for contacting me.
They have sending the V5i for free in exchange for my honest opinion. So here it is, my very first time writing something about my passion for music and hardware:)

Pros: Warm, precise instrument placement, airy and holographic stage.
Cons : maybe the cost, one got to be sure before upgrading the X7.

The gain over the based Op amp, are really, and I mean really, tangible.

The bass got a tad warmer, but still very controlled and tense

The results were similar between Fostex TH900mk2 and Audeze LCD GX (except the sound stage beeing really different between the two headphones:) )

In game, the more audible thing for me was clearer impact of guns, explosions and so, as I tested mostly Warhammer 40000 Inquisition, and Tom's Clancy Breakpoint during my time of play

Next days I'm going to test Red Dead Redemption with the X7 and LCD GX, as I guess it's a very athmospherical game, I'll post the result here.
IMG_1281 (1).jpg
IMG_1280 (1).jpg

Apr 27, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #3,569 of 3,608
Just purchased a FiiO K9 Pro ESS, looking to continue using my X7 for SBX out of my consoles. Should I use optical out of X7 to optical in on K9 Pro? Or should I do RCA out and bypass the Dac in the ESS and use it as amp only?

Apr 27, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #3,570 of 3,608
I have my X7 optical out going into my Ares II DAC and then on to my amp. Might as well use the best DAC I've got in the chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back