Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Aug 13, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #3,092 of 3,608
I see that microphones has been mentioned a few times in this thread, however having recently upgraded DAC, amp and headphones to bimby, valhalla 2 and HD800 I'm looking for alternative solutions to modmic for running through the X7.

For gaming I'm currently running this setup PC -> USB -> X7 -> optical -> bimby -> valhalla 2 -> HD800. I don't want to glue the modmic to the HD800 and sourcing an alternative solution for microphone input to the X7. I do have the option to run with the Q701 through X7 and modmic for chat but would like to utilize the potential of the HD800 also when gaming with friends.

I've been looking into dynamic microphones with XLR to 3,5mm and condenser XLR microphones with a phantom power adapter. Is there anyone who can recommend an option for voice input to the X7 other than modmic?

The reason I'm not just getting an USB mic is to limit the amount of USB interfaces, and the option to use the X7 together with the PS4 and share the mic with PC.

Other alternative is to use X7 Line Inputs. For simple setup without additional audio interface with XLR input, you can use USB Microphone that has headphone output. USB microphone like for example the AT-2020USB+, can be powered ON using USB charger or Powerbank, so it doesn't take your computer USB port. Then use the headphone output on the microphone and connect it to the X7 line input. My 2 cents :wink:

Aug 15, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #3,094 of 3,608
Isn't Scout mode meant to do that?
That is how they advertise it but in my experience, it was not a pleasurable one when trying to enable that setting. I felt like it did not help much with footsteps and what not but made gun shots unbearably louder than they already were in comparison to other sounds in game. I also felt like it just changed the overall sound signature of my headphones and anything in general I was listening to out of them and I was not a fan of how it sounded, obviously I know this can be turned on and off as needed but I was not a big fan of it when I tried it and seen a lot of people who seem to recomend never using it.

I am wondering if CSGO is just the problem itself, but even footsteps and directional audio in PUBG and other shooters seems a little too spacey and off and I keep forgetting to turn down the surround setting to play with and see if it helps as I have not been playing many FPS games lately but I am wondering if it's just the FPS games that are the issue. I was playing WoW for the new expansion and was standing in a zone and heard people fighting and arguing with each other, and I swear it sounded like it was coming from the parking lot across the street from me (my window was open) so I start looking around trying to find the drama, but lo and behold when I take my headphones off the sound disappeared. It seems like certain games or things seem to sound really really amazing coming out of my headphones and the X7 but it's almost like it's certain things/games where it does not sound as good. Of course, the examples (pubg and csgo for example) are really 2 of the things where I would most care about the positional audio.

As always I am always interested in upgrading or something better. If people think that for "gaming" the X7 would give me the best overall sound vs a standalone AMP+DAC and not using virtual surround sound, is there any pair of headphones people would really recommend for use with the X7 that will not break the bank? I already have some in the ~$200 range with my 7xx and HD 6xx, but wondering if there's something that may be a significant upgrade without spending thousands and thousands of dollars...(might be getting a raise or promotion and trying to pre plan how to waste my money before I even get it =D)

Aug 16, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #3,095 of 3,608
That is how they advertise it but in my experience, it was not a pleasurable one when trying to enable that setting. I felt like it did not help much with footsteps and what not but made gun shots unbearably louder than they already were in comparison to other sounds in game. I also felt like it just changed the overall sound signature of my headphones and anything in general I was listening to out of them and I was not a fan of how it sounded, obviously I know this can be turned on and off as needed but I was not a big fan of it when I tried it and seen a lot of people who seem to recomend never using it.

I am wondering if CSGO is just the problem itself, but even footsteps and directional audio in PUBG and other shooters seems a little too spacey and off and I keep forgetting to turn down the surround setting to play with and see if it helps as I have not been playing many FPS games lately but I am wondering if it's just the FPS games that are the issue. I was playing WoW for the new expansion and was standing in a zone and heard people fighting and arguing with each other, and I swear it sounded like it was coming from the parking lot across the street from me (my window was open) so I start looking around trying to find the drama, but lo and behold when I take my headphones off the sound disappeared. It seems like certain games or things seem to sound really really amazing coming out of my headphones and the X7 but it's almost like it's certain things/games where it does not sound as good. Of course, the examples (pubg and csgo for example) are really 2 of the things where I would most care about the positional audio.

As always I am always interested in upgrading or something better. If people think that for "gaming" the X7 would give me the best overall sound vs a standalone AMP+DAC and not using virtual surround sound, is there any pair of headphones people would really recommend for use with the X7 that will not break the bank? I already have some in the ~$200 range with my 7xx and HD 6xx, but wondering if there's something that may be a significant upgrade without spending thousands and thousands of dollars...(might be getting a raise or promotion and trying to pre plan how to waste my money before I even get it =D)

"(might be getting a raise or promotion and trying to pre plan how to waste my money before I even get it =D)" - Hey I just did that my self!! So I know the feeling :).

The HD650 (which is what you got), Is really in this sweet spot for price to performance in my opinion. I think you would have to jump up a lot in price to find better. Mind you, you could still find a different sound sig, but in regards to SQ I think it will take a bit more money.

Are you now just interested in trying to get the best sound out of your headphones for gaming, with less emphasis on needing surround? If so, then a budget for amp/DAC would need to be established first. (just making sure I understand)

Aug 16, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #3,096 of 3,608
"(might be getting a raise or promotion and trying to pre plan how to waste my money before I even get it =D)" - Hey I just did that my self!! So I know the feeling :).

The HD650 (which is what you got), Is really in this sweet spot for price to performance in my opinion. I think you would have to jump up a lot in price to find better. Mind you, you could still find a different sound sig, but in regards to SQ I think it will take a bit more money.

Are you now just interested in trying to get the best sound out of your headphones for gaming, with less emphasis on needing surround? If so, then a budget for amp/DAC would need to be established first. (just making sure I understand)
I think so? To be honest, I feel like with the right sound set up and using games that have their sound done correctly, if you have good enough stuff you should be able to get fairly good positional audio without the need for virtual surround sound. It's of my understanding that a lot of the "pros" and really high level players do not use any sort of virtual surround sound software, yet seem to be able to hear things so much better than a normal player. Maybe their hearing is just that much better but I feel like with the right set up you shouldn't necessarily need it.

While it's nice, especially in certain games like WoW recently which has made me stop and think about what I'm hearing and really think the sound is coming from across the street or something other than my headphones, I feel like I do not get this quality/effect in a lot of games, and mostly in FPS games which is where I feel like I would need the best/most accurate sound I could get. While gaming is probably the primary use of my headphones and PC sound that I need, I feel like the amount of time I have spent playing competitive FPS games has gone down recently and am feeling like maybe there is something else out that that would improve my overall audio experience giving me better quality etc in everything I do and other games I may play or watching videos/listening to music, but also may in turn improve the sound in the games I feel like I am having trouble with.

To be honest I don't even know if I know what I am looking for, just always something better. Always hear about people being blown away or hearing something that they never thought could ever sound that good and I just always want to continue improving my set up and getting the best possible sound quality and performance I can from it, whether it means using an AIO unit like I have now or getting a separate DAC/AMP set up. In theory if I manage to improve my career a little and I had some money I could save up and a bit more of a disposable income to be irreosnspible with, I would like to look into the A16 if it ever actually comes to fruition as well as a better pair of headphones. I do like the HD 6xx that I am using now, aside from the clamp force which I know can be broken in better than I have but I just can't help but feeling like I keep buying things that are cheap or in the "low end" of getting into audiophile equipment. Wasn't sure if there was something in like that $500 ish or so range that might be a worthwhile upgrade to think about, or wait until I really want to be an idiot and buy something super nice. I keep seeing Reckful talk about his headphones and audio set up on his stream so I was thinking about looking into the Focal Clears but I know they are very expensive and again, haven't even ever looked at other stuff in that price range yet or compared anything because its always been so far out of my price range.

Aug 16, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #3,097 of 3,608
I think so? To be honest, I feel like with the right sound set up and using games that have their sound done correctly, if you have good enough stuff you should be able to get fairly good positional audio without the need for virtual surround sound. It's of my understanding that a lot of the "pros" and really high level players do not use any sort of virtual surround sound software, yet seem to be able to hear things so much better than a normal player. Maybe their hearing is just that much better but I feel like with the right set up you shouldn't necessarily need it.

While it's nice, especially in certain games like WoW recently which has made me stop and think about what I'm hearing and really think the sound is coming from across the street or something other than my headphones, I feel like I do not get this quality/effect in a lot of games, and mostly in FPS games which is where I feel like I would need the best/most accurate sound I could get. While gaming is probably the primary use of my headphones and PC sound that I need, I feel like the amount of time I have spent playing competitive FPS games has gone down recently and am feeling like maybe there is something else out that that would improve my overall audio experience giving me better quality etc in everything I do and other games I may play or watching videos/listening to music, but also may in turn improve the sound in the games I feel like I am having trouble with.

To be honest I don't even know if I know what I am looking for, just always something better. Always hear about people being blown away or hearing something that they never thought could ever sound that good and I just always want to continue improving my set up and getting the best possible sound quality and performance I can from it, whether it means using an AIO unit like I have now or getting a separate DAC/AMP set up. In theory if I manage to improve my career a little and I had some money I could save up and a bit more of a disposable income to be irreosnspible with, I would like to look into the A16 if it ever actually comes to fruition as well as a better pair of headphones. I do like the HD 6xx that I am using now, aside from the clamp force which I know can be broken in better than I have but I just can't help but feeling like I keep buying things that are cheap or in the "low end" of getting into audiophile equipment. Wasn't sure if there was something in like that $500 ish or so range that might be a worthwhile upgrade to think about, or wait until I really want to be an idiot and buy something super nice. I keep seeing Reckful talk about his headphones and audio set up on his stream so I was thinking about looking into the Focal Clears but I know they are very expensive and again, haven't even ever looked at other stuff in that price range yet or compared anything because its always been so far out of my price range.
The feeling I put in bold is a common one. I actually never felt that feeling with any other hobby as much as I do with audio. I have been an avid gamer since early childhood. I would get the system I wanted (sometimes ha) and then just wanted games to play (Thank you gram for getting me Shenmue in 1999). With this hobby (audio, especially headphones)there are so many facets to improve sound that its easy to feel like its never "done". I would recommend taking a lot of time thinking about what is most important to you now. If positional cues take a back seat to just upgraded SQ, then a better amp/dac could be in the future if you like your current headphones? If you are curious of "what else is out there?" then maybe there is a headphone shop that you could demo more cans? Have you ever been to any meets or CanJam? Amazing ways to find better sound and get more info on what you might want, let alone the enjoyment of others. Sadly when it comes to gaming sound I have pretty low expectations. The sound of games hasn't nearly caught up to visuals. I hope that your expectations of what it "could be" don't overshadow where its actually at btw.

I think when it comes to the industry right now, the Clear is headphone that I feel checks a ton of boxes in all directions, and totally could be an upgrade to you. Just depends on wether its worth it to you or not. I would love if you would be able to demo them because buying blind is so tough with this hobby! Thankfully I have done it many times due to other headfi'ers influence and it has always worked out ha (maybe i'm lucky??).

The moment you feel of "wow.... this is amazing" will come around again! (Last time I had a big one was at CanJam NY! you know which time @Hansotek?) Sometimes you feel like your at an intersection with multiple roads and you don't know where to go next. I have been there before and after much deliberation and thinking, I made good choices. Keep your eyes and ears open and good luck.

Aug 16, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #3,098 of 3,608
The feeling I put in bold is a common one. I actually never felt that feeling with any other hobby as much as I do with audio. I have been an avid gamer since early childhood. I would get the system I wanted (sometimes ha) and then just wanted games to play (Thank you gram for getting me Shenmue in 1999). With this hobby (audio, especially headphones)there are so many facets to improve sound that its easy to feel like its never "done". I would recommend taking a lot of time thinking about what is most important to you now. If positional cues take a back seat to just upgraded SQ, then a better amp/dac could be in the future if you like your current headphones? If you are curious of "what else is out there?" then maybe there is a headphone shop that you could demo more cans? Have you ever been to any meets or CanJam? Amazing ways to find better sound and get more info on what you might want, let alone the enjoyment of others. Sadly when it comes to gaming sound I have pretty low expectations. The sound of games hasn't nearly caught up to visuals. I hope that your expectations of what it "could be" don't overshadow where its actually at btw.

I think when it comes to the industry right now, the Clear is headphone that I feel checks a ton of boxes in all directions, and totally could be an upgrade to you. Just depends on wether its worth it to you or not. I would love if you would be able to demo them because buying blind is so tough with this hobby! Thankfully I have done it many times due to other headfi'ers influence and it has always worked out ha (maybe i'm lucky??).

The moment you feel of "wow.... this is amazing" will come around again! (Last time I had a big one was at CanJam NY! you know which time @Hansotek?) Sometimes you feel like your at an intersection with multiple roads and you don't know where to go next. I have been there before and after much deliberation and thinking, I made good choices. Keep your eyes and ears open and good luck.
Sadly I do not really have anything nearby. I am in CT so I know NY is probably my closest choice but it's not always an option for me to get down there for events. The closest I've come to finding somewhere to test was B&H photo one of the last times I was in the city and even then, they did not quite have the level I was looking into but did have some AKG stuff similar to the K702 I believe and stuff that was generally better than anything else I had used at the time (was waiting for my 7xx to ship from massdrop) but since then have not been able to find anywhere more local that allows me to test anything so I can kind of buying blindly or trying to read stuff on head fi or reddit and basing my purchases off that. So far with my X7, 7xx, HD 6xx, iBasso IT01 and iBasso DX150 I have been very happy with my purchases but yeah, now I am getting into the range where getting an upgrade is going to be some sort of investment but trying before hand is not always a practical option for me and sadly I do not know anyone around who has nearly as much of an interest in good quality audio, let alone the money/willingness/stupidity to invest in serious equipment.

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #3,099 of 3,608

The Auteur?

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #3,101 of 3,608
actually when you and I were listening to the Voce together. “Haitian Divorce” by Steely Dan to be exact ha. That was the last BIG one.

Dude, that talk box solo!!!

Aug 19, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #3,102 of 3,608
Just an option for those who still have persistent issues with the pc>usb>x7 connection. Simply use digital audio from pc to the X7 with no usb connection!

I am unsure where the problem lies with the pc usb>x7 connection lies on my system as to whether it is x7 or my PC but the optical provides reliable relief. Control of X7 is done via bluetooth phone app.

The last straw was attempting to change a setting on the PC x7 software produced an unholy screech out of my headphones so bad I figured i damaged my X2HR headphones(didn't happen).

I truly wish i could get the usb>x7 to work but honestly I cannot tell any differences in sound quality with pc>optical out>x7 anyways but that's just me.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #3,103 of 3,608

For shooters like pubg honestly the best thing I ever did was start playing that game with simple stereo, direct mode. Seems counterintutive I know but pubg and many fps type games perform best with their own vss built in and adding 5.1 or eax on x7 just messes the audio up.
While Sennheiser 650 is good I am sure, alot of X7 users(including myself) feel the Philip's Fidelio X2 or X2HR is a good matchup as well.

Aug 20, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #3,104 of 3,608
For shooters like pubg honestly the best thing I ever did was start playing that game with simple stereo, direct mode. Seems counterintutive I know but pubg and many fps type games perform best with their own vss built in and adding 5.1 or eax on x7 just messes the audio up.
While Sennheiser 650 is good I am sure, alot of X7 users(including myself) feel the Philip's Fidelio X2 or X2HR is a good matchup as well.
I am going to have to finally try this since I am an avid PUBG addict. I will be amazed if stereo sounds better but what the heck!!

Aug 20, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #3,105 of 3,608
Just an option for those who still have persistent issues with the pc>usb>x7 connection. Simply use digital audio from pc to the X7 with no usb connection!

I am unsure where the problem lies with the pc usb>x7 connection lies on my system as to whether it is x7 or my PC but the optical provides reliable relief. Control of X7 is done via bluetooth phone app.

The last straw was attempting to change a setting on the PC x7 software produced an unholy screech out of my headphones so bad I figured i damaged my X2HR headphones(didn't happen).

I truly wish i could get the usb>x7 to work but honestly I cannot tell any differences in sound quality with pc>optical out>x7 anyways but that's just me.

Maybe this is a obvious thing discussed before but the x7 has (or had) known issues with the usb 3.0 connection. Connect it only to usb 2.0 to avoid distortion, pops and crackles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back