Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - Fatal1ty Champion - Front connections question
Feb 8, 2009 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Technex

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone, hope you all are well!

Me and my dad have decided we're going to take the risk on Creative cards + Vista just due to the fact that there isn't any other good gaming card choice in the UK which has everything we need.

My question is a hard one (unless you have it) and I've spent a while trying to find the answer.

My case has a front headphone socket which goes to pins on the Motherboard. I notice some sound cards have these pins too, so instead of going to the Motherboard it connects to the sound card.

I worry about the connection quality of these little pins? Are they good?

If they are not this brings me on to my main question.

On the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - Fatal1ty Champion Series it has a separate front drive slot bay which has a headphone socket too.

Now is this just connected with the same pins as my case is using or some other higher quality connection?

Thank you, I hope you can understand me.

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 10
X-fi pin arrangement is non standard for motherboard headers, so I would be careful as one wrong cable and you'll blow up your soundcard. I've got a X-Fi too, front case ports and didn't risk connecting them up.

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks iriverdude!!!

Ouch trust them to make it hard. So it is just the normal small pin type connection connecting the sound card to the front drive slot panel? I wonder how this effects the quality of sound :/.

I wouldn't want to risk blowing up so I'll most likely just order the one with the front panel. I still would like to know if it effects the quality or not.

I'm not a expert in any way at all, lol just about the basics but those little pins don't look the best for electrical connection etc.

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 10
You can do it, if your case pins are individual, and you have wiring diagram for X-Fi, and the case cables. On mine there are three cable blocks, one is AC 97, another is Azalia HD audio, and the third is individual single connectors.

The Live drive is £45 which is a bit steep, I just bought a Arcam Alpha 9 integrated which offers what the Live drive has (which I'll use) headphone amp, plus physical volume and good amp stages for my PC L/R speakers. What's annoying is you can't buy the Livedrive without the remote control, I'll never use that so just paying another £30.

If you can find a Audigy livedrive this'll work with the X-Fi.

Front connector cables on front of PC's is a gimmick, I'd just knock them off, I'd rather have cables going round the back permently into a module....something like the Elite however that unit is soundcard specific, rather use a universal Home Theatre unit which can be used again and again when the soundcard is changed.

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #5 of 10
My setup:

Dad uses speakers once and a while, he wants them connected all the time. The speakers are 5.1 (3 ports I think).

Me and him both use headphones while gaming, but I do not want them on while the speakers are being used. (also it would be nice to be able to take them in and out easy without having to get behind the desk/PC)

Considering the above is my choice still the best for gaming? I mean I would like it to sound nice for music too and for the price it should be pretty good. I just don't want some silly connections limiting it all.

Here is a picture: http://www.techpowerup.com/img/08-05...tive_FiTFC.jpg

No remote control comes with it, I would have no use for it anyway.

Feb 8, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #6 of 10
Yeah the problem is you already use the 5.1 cables, but you need headphone out as well so to sort out uplugging issues you need either the live drive (for the headphones only) Or if your speakers have a headphone output on the amp module.

Problem with X-Fi is - at least with current models- is disappearing problem. Mine worked fine for about a year after that it occasionally disappered in device manager, and requires driver reinstall. CL have gaming market monopoly, a couple of others have come out by don't support latest EAX.

Unless you buy a soundcard with standard header ports - for case mounted headphone jack and 5.1 analogue out for your speakers. I think CL have a couple with standard connectors maybe the Gamer and Extreme Audio? It's not as high specced as X-Fi though, it's a stripped down X-Fi. I'd look at another brand

ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E Sound Card Review - Page 4 - Hardware Canucks

Feb 8, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah the problem is you already use the 5.1 cables, but you need headphone out as well so to sort out uplugging issues you need either the live drive (for the headphones only) Or if your speakers have a headphone output on the amp module.

Problem with X-Fi is - at least with current models- is disappearing problem. Mine worked fine for about a year after that it occasionally disappered in device manager, and requires driver reinstall. CL have gaming market monopoly, a couple of others have come out by don't support latest EAX.

Unless you buy a soundcard with standard header ports - for case mounted headphone jack and 5.1 analogue out for your speakers. I think CL have a couple with standard connectors maybe the Gamer and Extreme Audio? It's not as high specced as X-Fi though, it's a stripped down X-Fi. I'd look at another brand

ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E Sound Card Review - Page 4 - Hardware Canucks

So just to get this straight. If I was to plug my headphones into the front sockets (on the front panel (live drive)) it would be the same quality as the ones on the back of the sound card? If it is then I have no problem, I'll just buy the complete version with the panel (live drive).

The speakers don't have a headphone output.

The ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E looks nice, although I would rather pay the little more for the X-Fi, price seems to be about the same once you count for the front panel.

Thanks for your help!

Feb 8, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #8 of 10
People have moved from the X-Fi to the Xonar for good reason, CL drivers are turd plus sound quality isn't that great. Front panel audio is never that great, if you want quality I'd recommend you use digital out from a soundcard to a DAC then onto a headphone amp.

Feb 12, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #9 of 10
Well bought it today, very nice looking card, quality looks good too. Only problem was during the install, connecting the front panel up to the internal sound card. The connectors were of a loose fitting, which wouldn't push in any more. They are holding just fine now but they're not the strongest connections in the world...

The sound is amazing though, there really is more sound range, specially notice it in the lows, there are low notes which my headphones have never given before, very nice.

Had a go on CS:S and I didn't like the surround sound mode for gaming much but after a while I got used to it and my score started going up pretty good, could hear footsteps and gunfire very well, much, much better than on-board. Sounds are different, can't really explain to well but for example in Gmod where I throw a grenade under the water it really does sound different, I don't think this is EAX as I don't think Gmod has it?

Also I don't know if really is this sound card taking the load of the system but my aiming/mouse just seemed more responsive, even though the FPS was as constant as before it was just, well.. Better. Could be in my head but the scores agreed with my head!

I also noticed it's more in "sync" with the game, not much difference but enough to notice, much crisper and responsive sound.

Anyway overall I'm very happy, it's one of those things that are just going to get better every time you use it.

No issues at all on Vista 64bit. Not sure what all the fuss is about.

Jul 13, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #10 of 10
You know you can install the Live Drive in a 3 1/2 inch drive bay too if you don't have enough 5 1/4 drive bays. If you read the quick installation guide it will tell you how.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back