Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Nov 19, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #1,351 of 3,462
Ya that's why I said 3.5mm connection(s).

Whomever thinks you can get more than 2 channels from one port worries me.

I don't call virtual surround out of headphone ports or line outs 5.1. Thats an hrtf signal that juat happens to derived from 5.1 to create a sound field. 5.1 is only through optical or analogue. In the zxr's case, its only optical
You can blame gaming headsets and stupid marketing for interchanging terms whenever they want.

Nov 19, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #1,352 of 3,462
My computer is stuck uninstalling the Recon3D software :frowning2:
I did manage to "uninstall" the Recon3D from the computer devices manager, but the actual software suite is still on the drive. At this moment, the windows uninstaller program is stuck 3/4 of the way uninstalling the main suite...

Meh, this is why I prefer Mac, I have to spend over 30 minutes on windows to erase different components and update weekly drivers, rather than just USING the computer. No wonder so many people are using tablets and smartphones instead, just to keep things simple.

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #1,353 of 3,462
Nov 19, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #1,354 of 3,462
Thanks SaLX,
I think I was letting frustration get the better of me there. The software finished uninstalling from the Programs and Features window, so after that and the prior uninstall of the device from computer>device manager, I should be good.

Just got done physically plugging the card in, I wanted to plug it in to a PCI Express 2 slots under my videocard so I could see the red light, but for some reason the back panel wouldn't fit properly between motherboard and case. Got it in above the card now... Guess I don't HAVE to see inside my computer :/

Let's see if this puppy works, but I've only got a few minutes before I have to get ready for work...

Nov 19, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #1,358 of 3,462
Nov 19, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #1,359 of 3,462
Any preference on amps to use with this particular DAC (ZXR, TiHD, STX), I'm debating between:

1. Schiit Magni
2. Fiio E09K

Btw, so far between SBX surround vs CMSS-3D, I thought the latter has better 3D positioning and SBX has a slight overall SQ preservation (both kinda ruins the SQ but SBX less so).

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #1,360 of 3,462
Good news - looking forward to hear how you like it.

Thanks! Installing the card and software actually was smooth and brief, it's just the other Windows stuff about removing old things and making way. Just got done eating after work, I think I'll try some... thing... Hmm. Just beat tomb raider, not really feeling like Battlefield 3 right now, what to play? I've got DOTA2... Oh WAIT! I've not started Skyrim yet!

*promptly looses job*

Any preference on amps to use with this particular DAC (ZXR, TiHD, STX), I'm debating between:

1. Schiit Magni
2. Fiio E09K

Btw, so far between SBX surround vs CMSS-3D, I thought the latter has better 3D positioning and SBX has a slight overall SQ preservation (both kinda ruins the SQ but SBX less so).

I think those are both good amps. Though I haven't heard either, I've read that generally people find the Magni to be cleaner and sharper, while the E9 is warmer and more forgiving. I personally own an E12, which to me sounds like a nice middle ground between warm and clear.

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #1,361 of 3,462
Solarium -- you don't need an amp. And to be honest, out of the three above only the TiHD will be safe with further amping (via it's line outs). The other two are gimped if you want to add an amp to their line outs = no or crap headphone surround. Get a ZxR and whack your phones into the headphone out mate.

Read this post by benbenkr: http://www.overclock.net/t/1392877/a-couple-questions-about-cmss-3d-dolby-headphone-and-similar-technologies. It is excellent. SBX pro is kind of the king atm - interesting too about open/closed headphones.

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #1,362 of 3,462

1. Schiit Magni
2. Fiio E09K

Do you own all three? Sound Blaster ZxR, Titanium-HD & Essence STX.
Or are you planning on buying one of the sound cards, then getting an external headphone amplifier to go with the sound card?

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #1,363 of 3,462
  Solarium -- you don't need an amp. And to be honest, out of the three above only the TiHD will be safe with further amping (via it's line outs). The other two are gimped if you want to add an amp to their line outs = no or crap headphone surround. Get a ZxR and whack your phones into the headphone out mate.

Read this post by benbenkr: http://www.overclock.net/t/1392877/a-couple-questions-about-cmss-3d-dolby-headphone-and-similar-technologies. It is excellent. SBX pro is kind of the king atm - interesting too about open/closed headphones.

I have both the ZXR and TiHD, but planning to return the ZXR because I got it for $229 while the TiHD refurb for $79. Even with TiHD"s headphone out of 37 ohm output impedance would you say it's worth amping?

Do you own all three? Sound Blaster ZxR, Titanium-HD & Essence STX.
Or are you planning on buying one of the sound cards, then getting an external headphone amplifier to go with the sound card?

Yea, since the TiHD is so much cheaper than ZXR, I could use the extra cash to get an amp. I'm enjoying the ZXR right now, but I don't think it can justify the $229. The TiHD at $79 is just much more price/performance.

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #1,364 of 3,462

1. Schiit Magni
2. Fiio E09K

For what reason do you want an amp? The zxr is capable of enough power for almost all cans minus 600 ohm monsters.

If its an impedance thing, then the e09k has 10 ohms still at which point don't even bother. Might as well get magni.

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #1,365 of 3,462
  I have both the ZXR and TiHD, but planning to return the ZXR because I got it for $229 while the TiHD refurb for $79. Even with TiHD"s headphone out of 37 ohm output impedance would you say it's worth amping?

Yea, since the TiHD is so much cheaper than ZXR, I could use the extra cash to get an amp. I'm enjoying the ZXR right now, but I don't think it can justify the $229. The TiHD at $79 is just much more price/performance.

I would rather use a Magni or O2 external head amp, then any head amp built into any current sound card (ZxR or STX).
The ZxR, STX & E09K all use the same TI 6120A2 headphone amplifier chip
So get a Magni (new or used) and plug it into the T-HD's (Titanium-HD) RCA output jack, as the T-HD can output CMSS-3D Headphone surround sound thru it's RCA outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back