Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Sep 28, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #3,451 of 3,462
yes, the acm hurt the performance or sound, unlike the. asus ones.

I am using the Zxr Acm with asus strix dlx raid as micrphone, and it works perfect.

my headphones is connected to Mayflower electronics O2 amp with Gsx 1000

Too bad those don't have mics. I really like the mic on the ACM. What would be the best way to replace it? Keeping access to the headphone port on the desk, volume control and a boom mic?

Sep 28, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #3,452 of 3,462
Too bad those don't have mics. I really like the mic on the ACM. What would be the best way to replace it? Keeping access to the headphone port on the desk, volume control and a boom mic?

Usually it would be special devices for that kind of things, but not that I know of, at least not from what I heard or experienced with. I also have mic connector on the gsx1000, so I stil testing, because no need to use drivers for the gsx1000, so it's better.
Didn't see anyone recommend something that can do what u want, usually it's amplifier with usb mic or something.

Nov 12, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #3,453 of 3,462
Hi there,
the first post on the forum so, hello to everyone from Portugal!
So, i want to upgrade my ZxR op-amps since i've had this card since 2014 and i thought to give it a little refresh!
I'm a little lost on what op-amps to get.
I've been looking at 2 different ones form Burson for different reasons.
a) V5i
b) V6 Vivid's
But this is just because i didn't spend more time searching what other options there are :)
Although the budget is always something i take into account, i feel that i want to do this upgrade in order to get the most of the card.
The only reason i'm not totally decided for the V6's its because i saw an install and seemed that the available space was not enough so some caps needed to be "bent". I didn't really like that but it's not a deal breaker.
The V5i is just because of the small footprint
So, my questions to you guys is, what's the best upgrade path for the ZxR in terms of op-amps? ( you can add other op-amps then Burson's )
Thank you
Pedro S.

Jan 11, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #3,454 of 3,462
Jan 19, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #3,456 of 3,462
I bought a ZxR. To me it sounded like garbage. Then I installed Burson V5i op amps into it, and it started to sound amazing.

However, my volume control plans are not working out. Before I bought the card, I thought that I'd be able to use the ACM to control the volume of my LSR30X (the Massdrop limited edition version of the 305s). Then I learned it only works for headphone volumes.

So as an alternative, I tried plugging the ZxR into a Magni 3 as a preamp. However, if I do that, then it adds a very noticeable hiss. I'm not sure if that is caused by my monoprice cables or the Magni 3 device, and I don't have other cables or amps to swap out for testing. But anyway, I find the ACM's volume knob to be a lot more comfortable to use than the Magni 3's, so even if the cables are the issue, I'd rather get a new & better volume knob anyway.

So I was hoping someone could recommend me a good volume knob that I can connect to my ZxR in order to control my speakers' volume. Ideally, I'd want this volume knob to meet these conditions:

1. As close in structure to the ACM as possible (i.e. a large knob set horizontally on a relatively small pedestal, as opposed to say, a large knob set on a bulky rectangular box).

2. Will not add hiss and/or degrade the sound quality in any way.

3. Does not interface with my PC via USB (prior to buying a ZxR, I tried using a Modi Multibit with the same PC and it sounded like garbage on my system, possibly because of its USB interface, so I'd rather avoid USB in case that is the reason).

4. Does not interface with my PC via the same connectors on the ZxR that are used to connect to the ACM (because I want to use the ACM simultaneously with the new volume knob, for the ACM's mic & headphone functions).

5. Does not have bumpy edges around the knob (i.e. is not like the Emotiva Control Freak).

...but I'd be willing to compromise on condition #1 if there is no good product that can meet all of the conditions.

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #3,457 of 3,462
Hello fellow owners of SB ZXR,
just wondering if its worth it to upgrade op-amps vs adding an external amp? For example, if you upgraded to burson V6 would you get near hifi sound from the ZXR as opposed to spending $200 on an external amp? Or are there more cost-effective opamps out there?

May 19, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #3,458 of 3,462
just wondering if its worth it to upgrade op-amps vs adding an external amp? For example, if you upgraded to burson V6 would you get near hifi sound from the ZXR as opposed to spending $200 on an external amp? Or are there more cost-effective opamps out there?
I just recently went from a stock ZxR to a Burson Audio Play external dac/ampand the difference was dramatic. Surely due to the large difference in power. I say go for a used Play

May 19, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #3,459 of 3,462
just wondering if its worth it to upgrade op-amps vs adding an external amp? For example, if you upgraded to Burson V6 would you get near hifi sound from the ZXR as opposed to spending $200 on an external amp? Or are there more cost-effective op-amps out there?
By external headphone amplifier, I'm assuming you would connect the external head amp to the line-output (RCA) jacks on the SB-ZxR.
I would say replacing the stock op-amps, would be more of a benefit, then getting a $200 headphone amplifier.

May 19, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #3,460 of 3,462
I just recently went from a stock ZxR to a Burson Audio Play external dac/ampand the difference was dramatic. Surely due to the large difference in power. I say go for a used Play

By external headphone amplifier, I'm assuming you would connect the external head amp to the line-output (RCA) jacks on the SB-ZxR.
I would say replacing the stock op-amps, would be more of a benefit, then getting a $200 headphone amplifier.

That amp with the V5 opamps is like $300+ , if i can spend less than that on just the opamps alone and reuse my ZXR, I'd rather do that. Is LME49710HA still worth getting? Looks like they can be had pretty reasonably.

Jan 11, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #3,462 of 3,462
So it's been a while i last posted here. I went and took my ZxR from the bottom of the drawer and want to use it on my kid's rig.

What's the best combo for the ZxR where we can keep the "metal plate" ? ( for singles and duals )

Thank you so much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back