Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Mar 19, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #2,072 of 3,462
  Read here that someone had a success with connecting expansion board, even if You are not using it. But 2 faulty board seems too much, could be problem with system, try:

1. Upgrade Your mobo BIOS to the latest version, don't forget to reset to factory defaults after update
2. Disable on-boar audio, though it shouldn't be a problem
3. Wipe all drivers. And update all system drives like Intel Chipset, video..
4. Finally install card, use 2 PCI-E x 1 closest to CPU

GL 

UPD 1. Mobo BIOS not DRIVER :)

sigh i formatted my pc and everything was going great now im getting the same issue.  in my device manager i get a SB Recon3D PCIe and Sound Blaster Audio Controller, and everything else is the high definition audio device. i dont know why im getting this issue.  i will try the bios update next i suppose

Mar 20, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #2,074 of 3,462
Audigy FX for 25€ with SBX Pro features seems to be the best entry for all those that use an external dac/amp. 

The SBX Pro Studio panel looks a bit different though, check out the 3D/Stereo selection.

http://www.hw-journal.de/index.php/testberichte/audio/1188-test-creative-sound-blaster-audigy-fx?start=1

Mar 20, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #2,075 of 3,462
It uses Realtek ALC898 DAC/ADC. It's not necessarily a bad choice. It's likely quite a but better than Asus DG.

Mar 21, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #2,076 of 3,462
Yeah but with going optical out to the DAC/AMP it doesn't really matter and then it's all about the SBX Software. I'm prettys sure it's the same as our Z(xR).

Mar 21, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #2,078 of 3,462
  Question, can I use SBX processing for music listening? and if I can, how does it compare to this http://www.head-fi.org/t/555263/foobar2000-dolby-headphone-config-comment-discuss?

Yes you can and it works decent but I would recommend that dolby headphone instead, I think it works better.

The way I have it setup is that I use the optical toslink out on the ZXR to my dac. So if I'm playing games I get all the soundblaster effects going out there.

However - when I'm playing music I have foobar set to wasapi event and the toslink output so it bypasses all windows and sound blaster effects.

It's great combo, best of both worlds without changing a single setting.
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #2,081 of 3,462
doh, you're right. I automatically assumed it to have one. :|

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #2,082 of 3,462
I just got the HD650s and I haven't made up my mind yet regarding the amplification. I'm leaning towards ZxR as I said two pages before, but some folks keep telling me to go the external route. The problem is that I think I'll need those Sound Blaster effects for gaming and movies. Should I consider going external and get a cheap Sound Blaster Z instead to retain those gaming features?

@TwoEars, you said earlier that ZxR and HD650s make a great combo and that the sound card has no problems driving the headphones. But will its Amp chip bring the HD650s closer to full potential? I see you have an external DAC connected to the card through Optical-out, so you are completely bypassing its own DAC chip and amplification.

Another option I'm considering is getting now the ZxR card and later add to the chain a tube amp like Schiit Valhalla if I'm not 100% satisfied with the sound output. 

Mar 23, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #2,084 of 3,462
  I just got the HD650s and I haven't made up my mind yet regarding the amplification. I'm leaning towards ZxR as I said two pages before, but some folks keep telling me to go the external route. The problem is that I think I'll need those Sound Blaster effects for gaming and movies. Should I consider going external and get a cheap Sound Blaster Z instead to retain those gaming features?

@TwoEars, you said earlier that ZxR and HD650s make a great combo and that the sound card has no problems driving the headphones. But will its Amp chip bring the HD650s closer to full potential? I see you have an external DAC connected to the card through Optical-out, so you are completely bypassing its own DAC chip and amplification.

Another option I'm considering is getting now the ZxR card and later add to the chain a tube amp like Schiit Valhalla if I'm not 100% satisfied with the sound output. 

"Full potential" is so subjective. You'll find people around here who's spent $5000 on dacs and amps who still are trying to bring out the full potential of their headphones....

But yes. I've got the Anedio D1, that's at least a $800 DAC even on the second hand market. It'll take something like that to beat the ZXR, don't bother with less.

But let me put it like this, if I was gaming and not listening to music I don't think I'd be able to tell if I was listening to the ZXR or my Anedio. So the ZXR and its amp is pretty damn good.

Get the ZXR now and be happy is my advice, if you want you can always upgrade with a an external amp or dac later.

Good choice on the HD650 btw.
smile.gif

Mar 23, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #2,085 of 3,462
About the recording capabilities of the card, what's the SB Z's latency like with asio drivers? I'm looking to plug a guitar (preamp'ed) into the soundcard, and process that signal through Amplitube. If its really 1ms as advertised I think I'm getting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back