Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Dec 10, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #1,156 of 2,345

Dude,the Astro Mixamp Pro 2013 uses Dolby Pro Logic IIx, upgrades Dolby 5.1 to 7.1 simulated surround sound. It also turns stereo into simulated surround sound. go to the link below and look at the back side of the astro mixamp pro 2013 and you will see Dolby Pro Logic IIx

http://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/headphones/ken-bevis/astro-a40-and-mixamp-review/4/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Pro_Logic

It supports Dolby Digital 7.1. It even says it on their website.

You need to read your own links. You do not understand what Pro Logic IIx does. It upmixes stereo content. If the input was Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd then the output would be on all speakers but the source was still stereo.

I'm not continuing this conversation anymore. 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound requires all 8 channels to work. If those channels aren't there being processed then you aren't getting 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound.

Dec 10, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #1,157 of 2,345

It supports Dolby Digital 7.1. It even says it on their website.

You need to read your own links. You do not understand what Pro Logic IIx does. It upmixes stereo content. If the input was Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd then the output would be on all speakers but the source was still stereo.

I'm not continuing this conversation anymore. 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound requires all 8 channels to work. If those channels aren't there being processed then you aren't getting 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound.

The Mixamp is not taking 8 channels , the Dolby Bitstream is telling the mixamp Left and Right where to put positional ques, to get 7.1. 
YOU CAN ONLY get TRUE 7.1 VIA HDMI to HDMI Receiver to TV then hook up your 7.1 speaker system. Optical out cannot do 8 "DISCRETE" Channels  , Only 2 channels. You just said what i said lol, Dolby Pro Logic IIx or Pro Logic II upmixes "left and right Stereo" Into simulated Surround Sound. The PS4 accepts bitstream and LPCM ,DTS. The SBX will use the PS4's LPCM and create a Virtual Surround or in other words Upmixing Stereo like you said.

Dec 10, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #1,158 of 2,345
  The Mixamp is not taking 8 channels , the Dolby Bitstream is telling the mixamp Left and Right where to put positional ques, to get 7.1. 
YOU CAN ONLY get TRUE 7.1 VIA HDMI to HDMI Receiver to TV then hook up your 7.1 speaker system. Optical out cannot do 8 "DISCRETE" Channels  , Only 2 channels. You just said what i said lol, Dolby Pro Logic IIx or Pro Logic II upmixes "left and right Stereo" Into simulated Surround Sound. The PS4 accepts bitstream and LPCM ,DTS. The SBX will use the PS4's LPCM and create a Virtual Surround or in other words Upmixing Stereo like you said.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-digital.html

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #1,159 of 2,345
if anyone that has a Sound Blaster E5 can they please hook it up to your Blasters Optical in and via optical out of the PS4 and set your PS4 sound settings to LPCM. Make sure SBX is enabled on the E5. Let me know how good it sounds. Thanks

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #1,161 of 2,345
Dec 10, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #1,162 of 2,345

All good dude .I was right ,I found confirmation right here. I will be ordering an E5 or an X7 to use for PS4 LPCM, and get the virtual surround. :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound/3285#post_11249561

That doesn't support you at all and supports what I was saying. The X7 has DD decoding not the E5.

If you have a game like The Last of Us or Battlefield 4 with built-in headphone surround, then positional data survives the PS4 output because it's already been "baked into" the stereo, but in that case you wouldn't want to use SBX at all

You can have the PS4 output Dolby, and the SBX processing translates that to virtual headphone surround.

Dolby Digital is what is being referred to. Only X7 can decode that.

but Dolby ProLogicIIx tried to "guess" when something was supposed to come from behind, and overall the effect was inconsistent and sometimes weird.

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #1,163 of 2,345

http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound/3285#post_11249561

That doesn't support you at all and supports what I was saying. The X7 has DD decoding not the E5.

Dolby Digital is what is being referred to. Only X7 can decode that.

All good dude, I got to tryout the E5 Today and used it with the PS4's LPCM and got to hear exactly what I was expecting. The SBX works great with the PS4 and is a much better alternative than the Astro Mixamp. I was even able to Customize the surround sound via SBX Pro Software. So right now I'm currently enjoying the E5.

Dec 11, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #1,165 of 2,345

This is ENCODING not DECODING.

Sound Blaster G5 is now under Creative Support.

We should keep the Creative G5 stuff in this thread. It doesn't get enough traffic to be a nuisance.

Does anyone know where to buy the G5?

Creative G5 Discussion Thread.

For Sale on Creative website.

€149.99

£129.99

The UK pricing is crap. €149.99 is currently £108 at currently exchange rates.

Not on US site yet.

Connects to PlayStation® 4 via USB and Xbox™ One via Optical-in. Comms are not supported on Xbox One.

The G5 is not just a 24-bit/192kHz, 120dB USB DAC. With a Texas Instruments TPA6120A2 headphone amplifier with a low output impedance of 2.2Ω, the G5 is capable of driving headphones of up to 600Ω impedance as well as sensitive in-ear monitors in the market today.

This pocket-sized external gaming sound card also supports high-resolution audio playback of up to 24-bit/192kHz, thanks to its Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC, which has a Signal-to-Noise Ratio of 120dB.

@DigitalRonyn Does 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound work with a PS4 when connected via USB?

Can the G5 decode Dolby Digital? Can Virtual Surround Sound be applied to the optical input?

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #1,166 of 2,345
Hello
I'm using my E5 in my PC and my Android smartphone, both with the SB Control Panel. But the main use is with my music player, a Fiio X3, connected via Line In. The question is if i save a profile in my PC for custom setting (EQ, SBX, Smart Volume), when i use it with the Fiio, the stored setting keep operative? Otherwise, i don´t have to control the audio setting..
Thanks

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #1,167 of 2,345
  Hello
I'm using my E5 in my PC and my Android smartphone, both with the SB Control Panel. But the main use is with my music player, a Fiio X3, connected via Line In. The question is if i save a profile in my PC for custom setting (EQ, SBX, Smart Volume), when i use it with the Fiio, the stored setting keep operative? Otherwise, i don´t have to control the audio setting..
Thanks

Yes, it does. Every time you enable SBX on E5, it will activate the same setting you used last time.

Dec 16, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #1,168 of 2,345
Hi all,

Most reviews of this seem to focus on the sound through headphones, but as I understand the line-out could be used as input to a set of powered speakers (like Audioengine A5+), can anyone speak to the quality of the sound through the line-out? Would there be much improvement over on-board motherboard audio, and how would it compare to something built for the task like the audioengine d1?

Also, this reviewer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR4Oq3Dw3gY seemed to find a significant difference in the audio quality on the USB and optical inputs to the E5. I'd like to use the E5 with USB from my computer, and optical from a chromecast audio, will this not give me the quality needed from the USB?

Thanks!

Dec 18, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #1,170 of 2,345
Hey guys I just wanted to recommend and just wanted to confirm that if you plan on using the Sound Blaster E5 on the PS4 or Xbox One, you must set your Audio Settings to LPCM or Xbox one via (Stereo Uncompressed). I even spoke to a creative customer service representative for the E5. I even have the Chat Log

So you can use the Sound Blaster E5 via Optical / and Set your Audio Settings Through LPCM on the PS4 . It sounds awesome with the SBX and I really like the virtual surround that creative has given us for gaming. I was even able to adjust the surround sound via the SBX Pro and it sounds awesome. so if you plan to game on the PS4 or Xbox One I definitely recommend this product. Make Sure SBX is enabled on the E5

EDIT: You can also use your Creative Sound Blaster E5 with the Xbox One via Optical. Make sure you set your Audio Settings to Stereo Uncompressed, then enjoy your SBX Surround. Make sure the SBX is enabled on your Sound Blaster E5.

LPCM is Stereo Uncompressed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back