Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Jun 9, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #811 of 2,345

No dolby digital or DTS. I don't think it can even do passthrough.IE it won't pass a bitstream out of it's optical output, only PCM.

So both the E5 and X7 can't do Dolby Digital Live decode? Hm... i thought somoene said the X7 can on here?

But what about the sound quality between the X7 and the ZXR sound card?  Isn't the soundcard ZXR is better? since it has the same components as the X7 but with more extra stuff like Dolby digital decoder?

Jun 9, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #812 of 2,345
  the inside : 

https://www.facebook.com/SoundBlasterE5

Thanks.

From the picture, the PCB occupies the whole bottom and the 3200mAH Li-ion battery takes up most of the upper side. Look pretty tight to me.

Jun 9, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #813 of 2,345

Thanks.

From the picture, the PCB occupies the whole bottom and the 3200mAH Li-ion battery takes up most of the upper side. Look pretty tight to me.

The bottom is almost flat and can almost remove the bottom half if they move the side buttons and the connectors up ( would reduce the thickness almost 1cm). Sorry about no picture, too lazy to take it apart again ( its easy, just need a triangle screw driver).
And about the charge problem while plug into laptop and play, it is gone. Its my bad, didnt turn it off and reconnect again as they instruct.  

p/s: still looking forward to your review 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #814 of 2,345
  The bottom is almost flat and can almost remove the bottom half if they move the side buttons and the connectors up ( would reduce the thickness almost 1cm). Sorry about no picture, too lazy to take it apart again ( its easy, just need a triangle screw driver).
And about the charge problem while plug into laptop and play, it is gone. Its my bad, didnt turn it off and reconnect again as they instruct.  

p/s: still looking forward to your review 
smily_headphones1.gif

I look at it differently. To me, the components that set the height is the 3.5mm, optical jack and the pot. Their placement dictates what shape of battery can be used, which in a way dictate the overall height. The use of mostly plastic housing also mean you can't make the housing too think or small. I think a good opposite example is Oppo HA-2 - only half the height of E5 but about 2cm more in length. It might seem smaller than E5, but actually it is heavier. To reduce the overall size, Oppo designs and manufactures HA-2 more like a smartphone than your typical amp+DAC. While the result is an extremely slim device of its kind, they have to use a metal frame to keep the rigidity and result in a heavier device than E5, though it might look smaller (also consider it doesn't quite have all the features that you'll find on E5).

They all have compromises of their own, so to speak.

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #815 of 2,345
photo courtesy of https://www.facebook.com/SoundBlasterE5/photos/pcb.901273176591848/901272853258547/

Looks like the left headphone jack is less distance from the headphone amp chip. Probably the better choice even though one probably couldn't distinguish the difference.

I guess while I'm at it, I'll post the other two photos from facebook, just for convenience.

Jun 11, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #816 of 2,345
Hello to all, i have a problem with This E5 and an ipod touch last gen

When i connect the Ipod to the e5 direct by lightning connector, sometimes, specially when i push pause,play,... it reproduce the souns as "slow motion", i must disconnect and reconnect the lightning cable to solve the problem

Someone has a similar problem??

Thanks by all and sorry for me english

Jun 12, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #817 of 2,345
Maybe could interest for E5 owner... Fit perfectly to the usb host for not having problem with usb cable... Objet :
HAME USB Right-Angle to A1 /A100 / S1 Router Right-Angle Conversion Head Adapter

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=390985792335

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #819 of 2,345
Hello folks. FYI, the E5 is on Massdrop for USD 149.99 (lowest join price).
My dilemma- I'm torn between a straight up headphone amp like the Fiio E12 and a USB/DAC amp like the E5 to use with my phone on the go. I have an LG G3 which according to gsmarena has very good audio output already via the headphone jack, even better when connected to an external amplifier. But then I read that connecting something like the E12 means I'm double amping which can lead to higher distortion. If true, would I be better off with something like the E5 that can bypass the LG G3's DAC?
    I know the E5 is quite the swiss knife but most of the features are bells and whistles for me and not really all that valuable at this stage. I should also add that neither am I golden eared in that I can not hear the difference between DACs like I do with headphones or speakers, nor am I golden-walleted. Thanks.     

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #820 of 2,345
Received my E5 from Creative AUS (New Zealand does not carry this product) 2 days ago and is loving it! Happy customer + 1

A couple of things Creative could improve.

Bluetooth connectivity seems weak, I sometimes get laggy audio having my Samsung S4 in the backpack, E5 in my jeans pocket. Could be interference with other wireless technologies?

Volume button when pressed mute audio, would be awesome if it can be used as a control to pause and skip music.

Cheers
Andy

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #821 of 2,345
Received my E5 from Creative AUS (New Zealand does not carry this product) 2 days ago and is loving it! Happy customer + 1

A couple of things Creative could improve.

Bluetooth connectivity seems weak, I sometimes get laggy audio having my Samsung S4 in the backpack, E5 in my jeans pocket. Could be interference with other wireless technologies?

Volume button when pressed mute audio, would be awesome if it can be used as a control to pause and skip music.

Cheers
Andy

Andy and other E6 owners,

How is your E5's Bluetooth connection at home (not outdoor or in a big office/classroom with lots of phones)? Can you finish a song with less than 2 pauses?

When you put your smartphone (Bluetooth source) in one pocket and E5 in another pocket, do you get stable connection (at home)?

Home use would be my primary use, so I would not buy E5 if Bluetooth connection is poor there.

My experience with Bluetooth connection is that interference really matters and connection seems to be more stable at home (with same source and receiver used the same way).

I have a pair of new Bluetooth earphones that has stable connection at home, even with interference from my home WiFi, wireless phone, and cell phone. Pockets, bags or movements do NOT interfere. Bluetooth mouse nearby does interfere, but only when I click the mouse.

The same earphone though, when used outdoors, is unusable due to frequent drop-outs. In this case, pockets, bags or movement seem to interfere with Bluetooth connection, especially when there is other interference source. There are some spots where I have consistent cut-outs.

Jun 20, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #824 of 2,345
  Got my E5 today.  Took some shots for you guys.  Need more time to listen for impressions.

How did you connect those two? Just a "normal" analog line out to line in? 
The optical input of the E5 seems not to be coax, or is it.
Maybe micro USB to micro USB for iBasso <--> E5. Did you try that?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back