Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Jun 2, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #766 of 2,345
  Ok, that's all high quality stuff, so ought to be good.

Can you verify if the E5 is charging if you just leave it plugged in at low amplification perhaps? 
Try a different USB port? (Shouldn't have to do it, as the X99-A is very good ... but doesn't hurt to try).

Also, have you updated to the latest E5 firmware that just was released?

No I haven't try the Low Gain yet but I will now.  Yes I have updated the firmware and latest driver version already.

Edited **** Just tried the Low Gain, same thing.  It doesn't charge while listening to music.  This is really disappointed.

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #767 of 2,345
  No I haven't try the Low Gain yet but I will now.  Yes I have updated the firmware and latest driver version already.

Edited **** Just tried the Low Gain, same thing.  It doesn't charge while listening to music.  This is really disappointed.

Please check the VE Zen thread as I replied you there.

Also, is your E5's power button flashing? If it is so, that means you accidentally activate the stop-charging option and therefore it is not charging.

My E5 charged perfectly normal in use. In fact, I connected it to my PC and use it to burn-in a pair of IEM for almost 24hrs non-stop without any problem.

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #768 of 2,345

Please check the VE Zen thread as I replied you there.

Also, is your E5's power button flashing? If it is so, that means you accidentally activate the stop-charging option and therefore it is not charging.

My E5 charged perfectly normal in use. In fact, I connected it to my PC and use it to burn-in a pair of IEM for almost 24hrs non-stop without any problem.

No, the Power button is not flashing.

Jun 2, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #769 of 2,345
  So I just bought the E5 and one of the biggest issue or biggest flaw for this device is that it can't charge or doesn't seem to charge at all while listening music on my pc (I use the micro usb to hook it up to my pc).
So is there anyways I can charge and use listen to music at the same time? Cause I was listening to music and then the E5 powered off by itself cause it ran out of battery while the USB cable is connected to my PC.

Oh btw, I was using the Hi Gain power, so maybe it was that use up a lot of power?

I don't think high or low gain changes the power draw, it's just changing the pre-amp gain. USB delivers 500mw and I'm using mine on a direct PC USB connection (no hub) and my battery stays charged even after a night of listening with the pc asleep. Perhaps it's your port or cable. I'm doing nothing special to keep mine charged.

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #771 of 2,345
Hello all,

I have found this post while researching on a DAC with bluetooth function, read all pages and the E5 looks very promising!

A few things I am unclear about, would be great if I could get some clarification from E5 owners.

Does the 16bit / 44.1 kHz for Android still apply when connecting via Bluetooth (highly likely)?
Is there much audio differences between a bluetooth vs usb connection?
Can you answer calls with the built-in mic (think I have read the E3 can)?

Thanks very much
Regards
Andy

Jun 4, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #772 of 2,345
Hello all,

I have found this post while researching on a DAC with bluetooth function, read all pages and the E5 looks very promising!

A few things I am unclear about, would be great if I could get some clarification from E5 owners.

Does the 16bit / 44.1 kHz for Android still apply when connecting via Bluetooth (highly likely)?
Is there much audio differences between a bluetooth vs usb connection?
Can you answer calls with the built-in mic (think I have read the E3 can)?

Thanks very much
Regards
Andy

1. Yes, but as far as I know, it ultimately depends on the phone model.
2. There was barely any difference for me between the two. Bluetooth had a little more noise, but not much. Having said that, I didn't extensively compare the two.
3. Sure can, and it works well. You can also use the settings to change your voice, which is good for about 10 minutes of fun, prank calling your sister. :wink: The novelty wears off quickly, but there are plenty of other settings that are useful for day-to-day calls.

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #773 of 2,345
If you phone supports AptX there is little difference, it's a much higher quality Blu-tooth audio format closer to uncompressed audio. Something to consider is that the blu-tooth and usb inputs are not exclusive. You can use it as a USB DAC, while simultaneously streaming blu-tooth audio to it from your phone, and both sounds will play. It's kind of cool that you can listen to music on your phone while playing a game on the PC using the E5 for both at once, but the downside is the blue-tooth or USB are never really 'direct to amp'. They always pass through a digital mixer so even when using 'direct mode' it's not direct and the windows volume control still changes the sound. There is no analog volume on the E5.

One other thing is with no drivers windows detects it as a 24/48khz audio source and this is likely it's native bit/sampling rate. Once drivers are installed the other rates are unlocked but it's likely using the WDM system to convert back to 24/48.

Jun 4, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #774 of 2,345
Thanks very much guys, I am only planning on using the E5 for my mobile, currently on Samsung S4 which has aptx, and getting a LG G4 which also supports that :)

On this note, can iDevices actually play 24 bit / 96kHz in both USB & Bluetooth mode now? Hoping Bluetooth won't be the bottleneck if one day Android steps up and starts outputting higher than 16 bit / 44.1kHz

Cheers
Andy

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #775 of 2,345
So when I switched to 24bit / 192000Hz, all music and videos that I listen to on Google chrome are messed up, it has static and stutter.  But this only happen when I use Google Chrome, when I use Internet Explorer or other browser it's fine.

Does anyone have this issue with their E5?

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #776 of 2,345
Not that issue in particular but it sounds par for the course. The E5 driver and windows sometimes don't get along and you get robo sound or no sound, or stutters. I have to reboot and power cycle the E5 to clear that.

Jun 5, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #777 of 2,345
  Thanks very much guys, I am only planning on using the E5 for my mobile, currently on Samsung S4 which has aptx, and getting a LG G4 which also supports that :)

On this note, can iDevices actually play 24 bit / 96kHz in both USB & Bluetooth mode now? Hoping Bluetooth won't be the bottleneck if one day Android steps up and starts outputting higher than 16 bit / 44.1kHz

Cheers
Andy

As far as I know, only Sony is capable of streaming hi-res contact over BT using its proprietary LDAC codec. Given Sony history, doubt they will license it out, or more likely no one will want to license it from Sony.

That being said, no, iDevices only output 24/96 over USB connection, not BT. That's the same for Android.

Jun 6, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #779 of 2,345

Users who are viewing this thread

Back