Creative MuVo2 (4gb) versus Minidiscs
Jun 14, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #18 of 26
I've had great success with v.2, and I really mean that. I honestly think alot of MD users who have converted to it are seemingly much more content with this version moreso than the previous efforts.
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2004 at 2:19 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sczervok
I hear stuff from people about how Creative is now changing their design of the microdrives to prevent use by any other application... but I've yet to find anything out about it myself.

GSTom1, where you find that info?

I read on forums in dpreview.com (a digital camera website) about people buying the newer Muvo2 and not able to get them to work in their cameras. Harvey Fong a Creative Labs marketing rep also posted on nomadness.com about the change to the Muvo2’s drive. He basically said that the days of cannibalizing the Muvo2 to make a profit are over.

rolleyes.gif

Jun 18, 2004 at 4:33 PM Post #20 of 26
What do you think are pros/cons of the following Hi-MD recorders: NHF800, NH900, NH1 (consider, design, sound, extras, looks, functionality, etc.)

Jun 18, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sczervok
I hear stuff from people about how Creative is now changing their design of the microdrives to prevent use by any other application... but I've yet to find anything out about it myself.

GSTom1, where you find that info?

In the Amazon.com product page, the "Product Description" part reads:
Quote:

Please note: the hard drive in this device is not removable and will not function in MicroDrive or Compact Flash devices.

Jun 18, 2004 at 8:40 PM Post #22 of 26
Oy.

Look at the units here at our equipment browser:

MZ-NH1: http://minidisc.org/part_Sony_MZ-NH1.html
MZ-NH900: http://minidisc.org/part_Sony_MZ-NH900.html
MZ-NHF800: http://minidisc.org/part_Sony_MZ-NHF800.html

This is a tough comparison. The MZ-NH900 and the MZ-NH1 are definitely the best out of this group - I think because of the overall construction, digital amp and better battery life. Let's face it, the NHF800 is a nice unit [with it's AM/FM tuner, I guess], but it's pure plastic and lacks:

- No digital pitch control.
- No digital amp.
- No line out function.
- No charging cradle.
- No external AA battery case [alkaline AA cells can be used internally].
- Smaller personal disk memory capacity.
- No program/group program play mode [Not sure about this one yet].

I could see the NHF800 being somewhat satisfactory, but would probably leave you craving more..

The NH900 is aluminum and plastic [the plastic being around the LCD], and overall is a pretty sharp unit. I think this is the model I'm going to get, and in all honesty I think this is the best overall Hi-MD unit so far..in terms of everything. Don't be surprised if everyone has this unit, too. The differences in the NH1 and this unit aren't strong enough to truly justify another $100. Although I must admit the 3-line display that comes with the NH1 [RM-MC40ELK - closeup pictures here] is pretty keen and will be a sought-after accessory for NH900 and below. The price of $275ish [look it up online, don't judge the MSRP] seems pretty fair for this unit [for now], but it'll drop a bit in a little while.

The differences between the NH900 and the NH1 are this:

- No Date-time stamp.
- No USB port on cradle.
- NiMH rechargeable cell (vs. LiIon).
- NH900 has an external AA battery case so that alkaline AA cells can be used as well as the NiMH gumpack cell.

So, basically for $100 more you get those features, a 3-line remote and a magnesium casing. Meh. The NH1 is slick, though..but the $400ish price will scare many away. I mean, $400 on top of media costs? Seems a little ridiculous compared to what else you could get in that price range. MD is truly for a niche group of users, you have to remember that.
biggrin.gif

btw, I like the color variations on the NH900 better than the NH1. heh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back