Creative MuVo2 (4gb) versus Minidiscs
Jun 11, 2004 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

sugar_daddy

New Head-Fier
i'm having a dilemma here. I've been using minidiscs for the past 3 years, now it got stolen. I'm thinking what's better - Creative MuVo (4gb edition) vs. Sony MZ-NF810 (or any other, but i got my eye on that one).
MuVo advantages are its compact size and a 4 gig drive. Disadvantages - I don't see a remote, though I heard Creative offers some kind of a remote for additional money.
Sony's pluses are - it's got radio, remote control, you can add a AA battery to the Lithium one. Disadvantages - MuVo transfers files faster and is more compact, plus it doesnt skip (from what i heard).

I would really like to hear other peeps' opinions before i buy something. Thank you.

Jun 11, 2004 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 26
Well... looking at the features of both of them (and their functionality)... if the MD player's flaws doesn't get you, then get it.
MuVo2 is more of a data transfer device, or a shuffle player. Not really that great for music listening pleasure... or not as I have found it to be. You could try getting a MuVo2, getting the Microdrive out, selling it, and buying a minidisk player for less.

Jun 11, 2004 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 26
Bowing to pressure from Hitachi, Creative Labs have made the 4GB Microdrive in the Muvo2 like the Apple iPod Minis…basically unusable outside of the player. So the days of cannibalizing the Muvo2 appear to be over.

The Muvo2 is fairly light and compact and the sound output is excellent. I use 96kbps wma files (to save space) and they still sound good. If you encode your mp3s at 192kbps VBR, you should be able to fit 40-50 CDs on the Muvo2. No need to carry MDs around. Another good thing about the Muvo2 is that it can be used as a plug-&-play USB drive.

The only knock I would put against the Muvo2 is the tiny screen and navigation system. Everything is organized and played by folders, so it is hard to play individual songs. However, if you like to listen to individual albums or shuffle play all files, then the Muvo2 handles that perfectly.

The Muvo2 uses the same remote as the Zen 2.0 and NJB3. The remote also gives your a FM radio and the ability to record FM radio and voice. The remote quality is not very good. I’m on my third one and that one is also acting up. There is distortion where the wire meets the remote. Basically I don’t use my remote anymore. Rumors are that Creative Labs might release a new remote down the line for their new Zen Touch player. That one should be compatible with the Muvo2. Hopefully the build quality is much better.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 26
What's your maximum budget? If you were to really seek Minidisc I think I could probably make a better recommendation than what you've chosen in this hypothetical price range..

Jun 11, 2004 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 26
well i don't know if this is the info you are looking for, but:

i used to use md too, had like 5 of them, dropped one, and lost one on the plane..(whoops)

i used to carry super lots of mds around, but now that i have a hd based mp3 i only have to carry my ipod. I have around 50 albums all on my ipod, taking less than 4 gb, if those were mds i'd have 39-50 mds to carry with me

Jun 12, 2004 at 4:05 AM Post #6 of 26
I'll just second GSTom1's comments on the pro's and con's of the muvo2--excellent sound, terrible navigation/controls. But i mainly listen to albums, and the sound really is superb (better than Rio Nitrus and Ipod, imho). But the Nitrus 1.5gb is also a contender--terrific navigation/controls for its size, good sound, and it's the smallest, most pocketable HD player made (pocketable not just in cargo pants, but in 501's.) And they're relatively cheap, going every day for under $150 on Ebay.

Jun 12, 2004 at 7:22 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurisu
What's your maximum budget? If you were to really seek Minidisc I think I could probably make a better recommendation than what you've chosen in this hypothetical price range..

There is no maximum budget, I was thinking about that model, cuz i'd like to have a radio too

Jun 12, 2004 at 9:57 PM Post #11 of 26
The 7h 55m pertains to Hi-SP, which is 256kbps ATRAC3plus audio, and according to most, sounds better than original ATRAC3 SP. For more information on Hi-MD's capacities, look here: http://www.sony.net/Products/Hi-MD/capacity.html

I will note that Hi-MD discs can handle and encode LP2/LP4, but this is only available through a PC interface [i.e. Sonicstage 2]. You can only record Linear PCM, 256kbps ATRAC3plus [Hi-SP], or 64kbps ATRAC3plus [Hi-LP] with the unit only. The other bitrates[listed on the aformentioned link] are available via the computer interface.

p.s. You will be able to encode PCM tracks on the computer [hence a lossless music solution for MD] with Sonicstage 2.1.

Jun 12, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #12 of 26
I hear stuff from people about how Creative is now changing their design of the microdrives to prevent use by any other application... but I've yet to find anything out about it myself.

GSTom1, where you find that info?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back