Creative EP630, Sennheiser PX100, or Sennheiser CX300?
Mar 5, 2006 at 9:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

josh files

New Head-Fier
Which one of these headphones would be the best? I listen to metal mainly, I'm looking for something I can wear at school, on the bus and at home. The source will be a iRiver H120, rockboxed. The prices for them are $30 for the EP630, $35 for the CX300 and $45 for the PX100's. Do the PX100s have much leak? If they do, enough leak to make them insuitable for school. Do they let in enough sound to make them insuitable for the bus?

Mar 5, 2006 at 1:24 PM Post #2 of 11
My vote is the PX100 (or the Koss Portapro/KSC75). The leakage will only bother others if you drive them to ear damaging tinitus regions.

I have the EP630 and severely dislike them meanwhile. Their sound isn't bad -if you manage to get them 100% perfectly into the ear-, but with only 90% perfect suit or less, they sound horrible. The soundstage is nonexistant in any case. Isolation so enormous that they shouldn't be worn outside IMHO. Perfect for listening sessions in bed, that's all.

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 11
I dont have the ep630 but I have their near identical phone (md33). As a metal listener, I would vote for them because of the increased bass impact (punchiness) and higher isolation which will give you a better listening experience in noisy locations (bus) and disturb others less in more quiet locations (school). I agree with nick that the seal is paramount to their operating effectively, and if you are new to iems/in-ear buds, there is a very real adjustment period (usually 1-2 hours) for your ears to get used to the feel and sound.

The px100s, which I have extensively auditioned, have quite a bit better soundstage, though their bass is more airy; it's fairly tight and deep, but it loses out on the impact needed for metal, imo. It will still sound (a bit) better than the ep630s, so you have to decide which of those (isolation vs sq) is more important to you.

I cant comment on the CX300. Never heard them. I beleive their ss is very similar to the md33s/ep630s though.

Also, using the search function will help you gather much more information on these phones, as well as taking a visit to www.headphonereviews.org.

I hope this helps.

-Cloud

Mar 5, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 11
If bass is the concern, you should head towards the Koss (I personally like the more balanced KSCs better than the Portapros). The bass quality, -dynamics and -impact is far superior to the cheapish EP630, even if the latter suit perfectly. The EP630 bass, though being strong, tends towards that ugly "one note boom". If you modify the Koss slightly (search for "Kramer mod") you'll be rewarded with an almost 100$ Grado quality.

Mar 6, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #6 of 11
My vote goes towards the PX100's.

The last time I listened to mine I recalled they had a warm sound frequency but yet they are not dark sounding either.
Overall they are one hell of a good portable phone for what you get.

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #7 of 11
PX100..driven properly..and with a good source will sound amazing. much like HD600....well not as smooth but you get 80% of the sound IMO

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:12 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
PX100..driven properly..and with a good source will sound amazing. much like HD600....well not as smooth but you get 80% of the sound IMO

That's very high praise. Which version of the PX100 are you referring to?

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus
That's very high praise. Which version of the PX100 are you referring to?

white version.. driven by Pimeta with AD8620.. (OP627 made them too dark) with STEPS PS

doing A/B with HD600 and PX100.....I know HD600 is better if I listen really carefully. The way I usually determine if A is atleast similar to B is I would listen to HD600 for fehw hours and then switch to PX100..and sometimes to my suprise I don't miss HD600 at all....which really means that driven from emu0404 with pimeta, my hd600 is perform similarly to PX100 under the same system.

NOTE: I use 414 pad with the PX100...open up the soundstage a bit and the bass is little better controlled.

Mar 6, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
white version.. driven by Pimeta with AD8620.. (OP627 made them too dark) with STEPS PS

doing A/B with HD600 and PX100.....I know HD600 is better if I listen really carefully. The way I usually determine if A is atleast similar to B is I would listen to HD600 for fehw hours and then switch to PX100..and sometimes to my suprise I don't miss HD600 at all....which really means that driven from emu0404 with pimeta, my hd600 is perform similarly to PX100 under the same system.

NOTE: I use 414 pad with the PX100...open up the soundstage a bit and the bass is little better controlled.

Cool, I can't wait to try them! I hope they sound as good through my 0404 and total Airhead.

icon10.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #11 of 11
I had TAH before and IIRC is quite weak and so YMMV with that amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back