Creative EP-630 or CX300????
Mar 12, 2006 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 93

bob2300

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, first I dont want this to become a flame war on whether the CX and EP are the same.

I just want to pick the best headpones for me. So I read this in a review, is this correct (for the EP-630 not CX):

Sound Quality: 4 stars
For first impressions, the EP-630 is the most impressive of the lot because of the strong bass that will immediately capture your attention. It has very strong tight bass, as good, or even better than the EX71. Clear midrange and treble but not as good as the HJE50 or LMX-E630. One can say that it’s a bit heavy on the low end, similar to EX71 but a lot clearer and more prominent midrange. Strongest bass in this line up. After listening a bit, its midrange is a bit recessed, perhaps overwhelmed by its bass. Treble rolled off. The EP-630 is an aggressive earphone. It can sound 'very in your head' to some. For rock/techno music, it can pound your head to bits! The earphones feel like its vibrating and moving air.

Here is the site where I read this: http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showt...0&page=1&pp=15

I am going to use the headphones on my Zen MicroPhoto. I will be using the wired remote so I would not like a headphone with LONG cables. I will be listening to RAP (some mainstream rap and tons of underground rap).

Basicly if someone owns one of these, it would be great if they could point out the comfort, sound, and build quality.

Thank You, man I am loving my Zen. I have about 6 altoids cases! One buffered silver with wu-tang symbol spraypainted on the bottom.

Mar 12, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 93
You mean something with a short cord? How about a modded MD33?

But the CX300 vs EP630, there are pros and cons to them.
EP630 is cheaper, but newer reviews say that CX300's have a bit more full sound to them.

EP630 has a straight mini plug, not the L shaped plug, so it might help you in a way.

Mar 12, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 93
i have heard that the sound on them is very similar, and i have the creatives (about half the price in england) and i have to say they are great, but i havent compared them with the senns

Mar 12, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 93
Fast replies greatly apreciated.

y2jollie: Do the EP's have a sound described like this: "For rock/techno music, it can pound your head to bits!" Like the EX51 where if you listen to a bassy song your head will go bannans?

nsjong: The sharp is an idea but it is more expensive than the creatives. Right now I am leaning towards the creatives, but I have no idea.

Mar 12, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 93
If the EP630 is anything near the CX300 sounwise and it's cheaper then get it without doubt.

On the other hand someone here approved that the EP630 has more bass then the cx300. It would make me think twise before i'd get one becouse the cx300 is one bassy MOFO allready. >.> and that comes from a portapro guy..

On the third hand
rolleyes.gif
the cx300 got some sssibilance. Guess that's the price we pay for the extra detail..

So you do the thinking.

Mar 12, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #6 of 93
Whats this mean: "On the third hand the cx300 got some sssibilance." ?

Is what the reviewer said true?

"It has very strong tight bass, as good, or even better than the EX71. Clear midrange and treble but not as good as the HJE50 or LMX-E630."

" It can sound 'very in your head' to some. For rock/techno music, it can pound your head to bits! The earphones feel like its vibrating and moving air."

Mar 12, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #7 of 93
First off, the EX71 and HJE50 SUCK compared to the MD33 and EP630. The the CX300 is considered BETTER than them, the reviewer is talking BS.

The MD33 (considered same as EP630) have WAY better highs than the HJE50. EX71's don't even HAVE highs due the the buddy bass that covers everything. That reviewer is very sad. And midrange? EX71 has one of the weakest midrange I've heard, as well as the HJE50's.

Go ahead and buy the Creatives. You will NOT be disappointed.
orphsmile.gif

Mar 12, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #8 of 93
Sibilance goes for the metalic un-natural sound when the singer pronounces the letter "s" and sometimes "t". I'll be looking for a mod to reduce this effect.

Sibilance is a pretty common thing in the audio world. Some of the higher end gear has it to. HE60 for example (so i'v heared). Dunno why.

As for the description for whatever IEM you were talking about, i dunno.
I only know that the CX300 has the best sound stage from a tiny headphone i'v ever heared. Same with the bass.
I can't have enough of this little person.
etysmile.gif

Mar 12, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #9 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
First off, the EX71 and HJE50 SUCK compared to the MD33 and EP630. The the CX300 is considered BETTER than them, the reviewer is talking BS.

The MD33 (considered same as EP630) have WAY better highs than the HJE50. EX71's don't even HAVE highs due the the buddy bass that covers everything. That reviewer is very sad. And midrange? EX71 has one of the weakest midrange I've heard, as well as the HJE50's.

Go ahead and buy the Creatives. You will NOT be disappointed.
orphsmile.gif

I have to agree with that. The creatives are almost at level with the cx300 (and some say the same) and they cost much less money.
I think the choice is cleeeaaar (Im just about to get my creatives i cant wait!)

Mar 12, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #11 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by bob2300
Then it is settled, creative it is.

Now is amazon the best price: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Fencoding=UTF8

Or is there any retailers that carry it?

The lowest I found was 23$, and amazon is a great store with freee shiping (correct me if im wrong).

I think amazon is okay considering the only difference of prices is 3 bucks

Enjoy! (I just bought 'em too! Cant wait for them to arrive!)

Mar 12, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #12 of 93
Yeah after looking at amazon, it seems they are the best site. You can sign up for amazon prime and get free 2nd day shipping. You will get this for free for three months, then you can cancel or pay $80 for a year.

Seems like a good idea to get free 2nd day shipping
eggosmile.gif

Mar 12, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #13 of 93
One last question, is the feeling of hearing your breathing (forgot the technique word), or body movement as bad as the sony ex71's. I know you can hear this with any IEM but is it as bad? Or is it like what I heard about the sennhiesers cx300 that have a thinner cable, therefor giving of less "in the head" movement sounds?

Mar 12, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #14 of 93
Something else to consider about the CX300 and the EP630 is the Senns have the neck-chain and the EP630s have the normal Y cord. This was a big deciding point for me. Also the EP630 aren't suppose to have the sibilance as the Senn are said to have. It was ALSO said that the more bass of the EP630 is that it just goes deeper.

Just somethings I've collected from people who have them.

Mar 12, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #15 of 93
i'm going to have to pick up a pair of the creatives when i ge ta chance just to compare

anyways, i noticed sibilance from my cx-300's only once, on one recording...and now when i go back to the same song there is no sibilance at all. i think it may have something to do with the seal.
so no sibilance from my cx300's that i can detect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back