Creative Aurvana Lives or the HD 448s?
Oct 4, 2010 at 1:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Aaron7

New Head-Fier
Hello again,

Just about to go for the HD448s and came across the Creative Aurvana Lives which are slightly cheaper and look like they have better reviews.
What would be better for me to get depending on these requirements:
  1. Comfort + great sound quality
  2. I listen to all kinds of music but mainly smooth modern music (hard to describe), a touch of pop and I am looking forward to hearing some classical music as well.
  3. I suppose I think I am looking for a natural sound.

I am definite leaning towards the HD448's.

Many thanks,
Aaron.

Oct 4, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 13
From what I have actually listened to, I like the HD 238 better than the 438, and I like the koss PortaPro better than either one, except when it comes to comfort.

Oct 4, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #4 of 13
I have got the HD448, it's very good in terms of natural listening and comfort (there isn't very much bass though as you might have read). You won't be disappointed.

My experience with Creative, in terms reviews, are with some computer speakers. The Creative Inspire T3100 was supposed to sound very good, scored about 9 out of 10 in those reviews. When I actually listened to them they where absolutely garbage. I know you aren't supposed to expect anything of 30$ to sound good but the Logitech Z4 (70$) sounded 10 times better (at least).

I know that isn't relafant but Sennheiser is a quality brand and Creative just makes computer accessories in my opinion.
Moreover, those Creative Aurvana Lives wil get covered by vingerprints in no time, that's just a minor con but still it can be annoying.

The HD448 is a safe bet. the Creative might be very good but I never heared anything from Creative that's Hi-Fi.

Oct 4, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #8 of 13
Get the CAL! You'll like it more from the get-go. The HD448 can be a bit of a letdown for most people - little bass, lots of mids - unless that's what you really want in a set of cans. The Creatives are most certainly more "fun" sounding.

Oct 4, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #9 of 13
I like how people compare one product line from another. Hey, the Sony headphones suck, so that Sony HDTV must suck too!

Gimme a break.

The Creative Aurvana Live is an EXCELLENT headphone. He said he listens to smooth music. The CAL are VERY smooooooooth.

After the bajillion headphones I have purchased, I settled on the CAL as my closed headphone and haven't looked back. They are well worth it. I'd peg them over the M50, ES7, DT770 Pro, and other popular headphones (all which I have owned and sold). In fact I'd say they're like a more relaxed/polite M50, with bigger soundstage.

They are also incredibly light and comfy.

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #12 of 13
I can't weigh in on the CAL! vs the HD448.  I have only heard the HD280 and HD595.  I did like the CAL! better than those two though.  I should say that I don't like the "laid back" Senn sound signature.

You won't know which you like without trying them for yourself.  That's the first thing I learned on this board.  They are both good phones, and if you like the Senn sound, you could probably get either one, like it, and never look back.  If you don't like the sound signature of the one you get, you can resell it on the FS forums, and try the other.

Oct 6, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #13 of 13
I like how people think comparing HDTVs to headphones is the same as speakers to headphones

gimme a break
blink.gif

The Creative Aurvana Live could be very good but I would take these opinions above with a grain of salt.
For instance the HD595 is a High-End, 250$ Sennheiser headphone. Price doesn't equal sound quality but thinking the Creative Aurvana Live sounds better is highly personal.
If a person, who's used to listening to the HD595, gets to listen to the Aurvana Live he'll probably think otherwise. Another importand factor is amping. When I listen through a 3000euro
amplifier and a decent CDplayer the difference is enormous compared to, for instance, a computer. I think the real winner couldn't be decided by listening to a poor ampiflier.
Moreover the HD448 hasn't got the "laid back" Senn sound signature. 

So you wonder if the Creative Aurvana Live is better than the HD448?
Really, that's up to you.

But in case you don't have the chance to listen to them this is my opinion about the HD448.
They simply are very neutral. A bit too neutral. If I compare them to the Totem Staff speakers they sound very thin.
At the other hand those speakers are 2500euros compared to a 80euro headphone (not up to date prices).
The sound of the HD448 has got some nice texture though, just not very much.
A too vivid sounding headphone might be annoying after a while. I would always prefer a neutral sounding headphone to a too vivid headphone.
There are always ignorant people who boost treble and bass to the max but at the end of the day you just want balanced, neutral sound.
The HD448 is pretty balanced.
The highs of the HD448 are very nice, detailed and not very up front.
The mids have a bit of a emphasis, as already noticed, but the mids are good so that's not a real con.
The bass is, for must people, too less. I disagree because there is bass where it's supposed to be. 
You obviously are able to tweak a bit with EQ, but I would keep it to the minimum.
The soundstage is just fine, I can't say much about it because I haven't (decently) listened to a lot of headphones.
If you want a nice realistic sounding headphone which doesn't get fatiqueing because of harsh highs or bloomy bass: this a very good option.
I am very glad I bought them and I wouldn't trade it for one with more bass and up front highs. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back